Photo

Screenshot of the Week 288

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (52 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Jupiter
IPB Image
Climbing the small island of Kahului.

lightdestroyer
IPB Image
Our hero finally feel the fresh air on his face, but the odor of burning corpses still haunt you.

Sheik
IPB Image
Yet another nothing-special-going-on-screen!? Yawn...

catfriedrice
IPB Image
That's not your friendly neighborhood SpiderMan.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

I voted for Jupiter. I love overlook shots. icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

I went with Sheik on this one. It is just beautiful.

#4 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

Jupiter : Wow, that's quite a beautiful screen. Though the vines do bother me a little. They're the GB ones and they don't fit. Maybe download Linkus' ones.

Sheik : That caption made me smile. The palette is great, but the ground lacks details. Especially near the blue flowers. But overall, I love it.

catfriedrice : Meh...I really hate the default DoR palette. It's really ugly. There's too much trees for my taste and the ground is not particularly great. Use more variations, there's four types of grass you can use.

I nulled, but I would have voted for Jupiter.

#5 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I voted for Jupiter. It's really gorgeous!

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Voted for Jupiter. I like the upper half of Catfriedrice's subscreen thing. Though that Rupee thing needs tweaking, and the bars for the health and magic irk me.

Shiek: I don't really like how the house. The top left either needs to be brought in or put like, a ladder going down into the house so it's not as boring up there (and is super awesome letting people get on top of the house. icon_deformed.gif).

#7 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Sheik You have done it again my friend. good job.
BTW Nice roof tiles.

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

I voted for Jupiter. It looks really nice.

#9 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

Sheik...tempting...tempting...

Jupiter's night scene is pretty darn good though...

Sigh

*Votes for Jupiter*

I like night scenes a lot I guess.

#10 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

Jupiter: This screenshot is sexy. *votes*
lightdestroyer: Solid design, but the clouds really kill it for me. Plus, please make your grass/dirt transitions in CSet 3.
Sheik: It's a nice screen, with very nice graphics...but, it really cannot hold my interest long enough for me to like it.
catfriedrice: You need more ground detail, also, the DoR mountains were used incorrectly...a lot. Also add more tree diversity. Fix these things and your screen will be awesome.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

All of the shots were great, but Jupiter's was beyond great. It's amazing. By the way, isn't Kahului a volcano on Hawaii? It seems a bit Hawaiian, with the torches and palm trees and whatnot. Anyways, it's perfect.

#12 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 18 2010, 09:46 PM) View Post

All of the shots were great, but Jupiter's was beyond great. It's amazing. By the way, isn't Kahului a volcano on Hawaii? It seems a bit Hawaiian, with the torches and palm trees and whatnot. Anyways, it's perfect.

Ha! So yes, I wanted an islandy sounding name for my island (natch), so I simply Google mapped Hawaii and looked around until I found something with a name I liked--good work, I'm impressed that you spotted this icon_exclaim.gif

Jupiter: Those stars twinkle, fyi. If only I knew how to make an animated .gif...its only two frames! I actually am not completely pleased with the shape that the mountain took and am not so sure that I executed the perspective right for an overlook shot--this is my first attempt at one of those--but people seem to think it's ok. I like that my background is open ocean and stars. I'm curious about how people feel about those palms, I'm still insecure about them icon_rolleyes.gif

lightdestroyer: I think this is a solid DoR shot. Some people would be bothered by the use of the brown grass with the green, but I like how you did it. Your Palette is nice, the shadow on the mountains look good, and I'm always tempted to put transparent clouds in my shots because I love how they look. I do think that your clouds could look a tad more random (=natural) if all for corners weren't covered in in away that goes in a diagonal across the corners...but that's nit-picky...they are fine as is. The real complaint I have is that there is nothing special going on here...it's a fine path from one place to another, but not something extra nice or neat.

Sheik: That's MZC, right? It's lovely. I love those tiles. I do feel about your screen the way that your caption describes though. There is nothing to critique about it. Its flawless, it's nice, and I want to play a game where everything looks that nice. But its clearly a day in the park for you.

catfriedrice: I like the spiders (though they kinda look like ants). I wish they had a bit more detail, but I know that is hard given the few pixels that one has to work with on an enemy. Maybe if they had another color besides red? Not sure if that would look better or worse. People complain about the default DoR palette...I think it looks just fine, even nice sometimes. I do think that you need more ground detail--at the very least you should be using more textured grass...but it seems to me that although you are using DoR, you are trying to keep it really simple...I think thats commendable. In the end, I like the spiders and the over-under bridge, but I do wish there was more going on here. (BTW, I like your subscreen quite a bit!)

I forgot, my commendations to everyone who submitted this week, keep supporting this event PZC! (And, oh yes, Lemon, where you at? icon_razz.gif )

Edited by Jupiter, 18 April 2010 - 11:20 PM.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 18 2010, 09:01 PM) View Post

Ha! So yes, I wanted an islandy sounding name for my island (natch), so I simply Google mapped Hawaii and looked around until I found something with a name I liked--good work, I'm impressed that you spotted this icon_exclaim.gif

Well, I was in Kahului two weeks ago, so I should know. icon_razz.gif

#14 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

Sheik gets my vote here.

#15 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Whoops. Um... hm.

Much better this week, only two of the shots are bland (and one even recognizes that! Kudos!) though still look good for game shots.

Jupiter's is pretty awesome, so it gets my vote, though it really suffers from the white contrast on all sides... In order to properly view I copied it into a ms paint file and surrounded in black. Much better icon_biggrin.gif. Not that there's anything you can do about this, mind you, just a stray observation from someone whose submitted dark screenshots before. Everything about this is cool, and while busy I'd smile when I got to a screen like this in a game.

If that were from a game I was making the moon would definitely have a mustache and eyes though. You lose a few points there, but otherwise icon_thumbsup.gif

Edited by Lemon, 20 April 2010 - 07:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users