Photo

Screenshot of the Week 286

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:11 AM

catfriedrice
IPB Image
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these heroes from the swift completion of their appointed destiny.

JimmyB
IPB Image

Jupiter
IPB Image
Agon Wastes

Molten Onyx
IPB Image
Whatcha' doin' on mah roof, ya' whippersnappa'!

dragonsword
IPB Image
why are there cacti in this oasis?

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:22 AM

That's awesome jimmyb! The tMC-tileset you told me about seems to come along greatly! I am looking forward to more of this kind =)
(Slight offtopic: If you use Cset 2,3,4and 9 for the overworld, you can have 60 colours if you use 8bit, which should make it possible for you to cover (almost?) all tMC colours.)

Edit:
By the way, this week we have some awesome shots, great job everybody. =)

Edited by Sheik, 30 March 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#3 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:53 AM

Hurrah--SotW!

So, I nulled of course, but I'll comment.

catfriedrice: That's a really good shot. I liked it immediately, even though there is nothing super-special going on. I like the winter afternoon feeling I get from this shot and the sense that I am traveling about a village on errands or something. That mountain in the north west wouldn't be harmed by adding some variation to it, but otherwise, this is solid.

JimmyB: The layout of this screen is good. You've certainly got a enough variation and detail to make it a good shot. But, to tell you the truth there are a couple of things I'm not wild about. One, I am just not a fan of the corners on those mountains--I know it's tMC--it's bang-on tMC--and while I was a huge fan of that game's overall style (and thus most of the tiles in your screen) I didn't like those corners, they bother me. But that's a very individual thing, most people will disagree. The bigger problem for me is the palette. I find that grass to be hard to look at. Honestly, it's irritatingly bright icon_cry.gif . Lastly, everything looks pretty rectangular on the screen, maybe that's on purpose, but all the right angles feel off for me. Sorry I have so many issues, it is still a good shot and it's clear that you have lots of talent, but there are just some things that are off for me.

Jupiter: Does the inside of your head look like a Hieronymus Bosch painting or what? As for critiques: It takes a minute to realize whats going on with that overhang. That palette could still use some work. What the heck are those prickly looking plants?

Molten Onyx: Nice! Points simply for the stairs going onto the roof (and the use of "whippersnapper" in your caption). I don't know why but this feels like a forsaken, low-rent part of town (which is cool). I think that you may be using one too many varieties of tree in this shot/area. But other than that I don't have much to say.

dragonsword: It's a great screen. To be honest when I first glimpsed at it I kinda thought, "Eh, thats nice, not too exciting." But upon considering it I really, really like it. I really want to know what is going on at this place with all those NPCs...I've started making up stories...it looks like a hang out place that kids would go after school or something...or maybe that river basin is a racetrack...the design of this screen is well done. The palette is pleasing and those dunes look great (I also really like those large boulders). The only thing that I would change is the way that stream bulges out on the right side of the split, for some reason I think it would look better if it was thinner like the other side. But that's minor. Really good work!

Nice work all!

Edited by Jupiter, 30 March 2010 - 03:56 AM.

#4 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:04 AM

These new screenshots are absolutely tasty. But I ended up voting for catfriedrice: his screen has something ferm and adventurous... I really like it.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:29 AM

MO gets my vote. Dragonsword came close, but the palette ruins it.

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:51 AM

EXTREMELY tough choice due to the awesome shots, but only noobs null icon_razz.gif (just kidding nullers), so I chose DragonSword.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

Jupiter, you can find those dunes, Here. Just felt like telling you, you kinda seemed to like 'em.

#8 eNJuR

eNJuR

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

Awesome shots everyone!! i nulled, but no reason for not commenting:

catfriedrice: i like the feeling of the screen, but if i would change anything, it would be to add variation to the mountains

JimmyB: ahhhh! mine eyes!! its a really really good screen, but the pallete bugs me. (also, the north-facing moutains really bug me too, but thats how those mountains are, so i'll let it slide)

Jupiter: I really like this one. i almost voted for it. i like the spookiness and the overhang of the mountains

Molten Onyx: Oh, I likey, i'm curious as to what is happening, also, whats that castle up to the north? makes me wanna play it

dragonsword: thats me, obviously. this screen is level three of a quest i am making. what it is is a tourniment-syle thing, where monsters and link (who may be a warrior or a wizard, depending on your choice by some things i'm scripting) battle it out as the spectators watch and cheer. Yeah, i agree about the river buldgeing out, i think i'll fix that, thanks!

#9 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Okay, I just had to look before I shut down and these shots were pretty good.

Catfriedrice: The use of DoR's snow was really good, but even though I like DoR, and the shot, I voted for someone else because I see DoR too much.

JimmyB: Okay, Minish Cap is my favorite Zelda game, but putting MC tiles in ZC is incredibly difficult with pallate limitations. Not to mention the shot looks like it came straight out of Minish Cap. All the Shots were really good, but I voted for this one.

Jupiter: Your shot was the same as the example shot for the skeleton in the shot. It was a great shot, and I was deciding between your shot and JimmyB's.

Molten Onyx: Good use of DoR, but again, I see DoR all the time.

Dragonsword: Great DoR shot. This wasn't a simple DoR shot, but the GBC like people ruined the realistic feel for me. But again, great shot.

These are my opinions on all the shots. Everyone this week did a great job. I hope the new shots will be just as good, or even better.

icon_clap.gif

#10 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

catfriedrice - I like the screen (espeically the subscreen), it's really good but the palette is a bit dull.

jimmyb - Irony. When the first shot is too dull and the second too bright. That's actually all I can really say about that. It's a pretty average screen IMO. That and I never really liked MC tiles.

Jupiter - This shot is awesome, the giant skeleton really adds to it and the mountain jutting out a bit at the top is brilliant. Although, the pukefall looks a bit weird. A lavafall might be better.

Molten Onyx - Great shot, most people don't have walkable rooves, I like that. I almost voted just for the caption, too. icon_xd.gif

dragonsword - That shot has a good structure to it, I like that but, the NPCs look a bit out of place. It might just be because it reminds me of a mirage. That and the sand colour is just..un-sand-like. Sand is a kind of yellowy creamy beige colour, that's more like if pink and beige had an ugly baby.

And the person I voted for is Jupiter.

Edited by Banjo7J, 30 March 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

catfriedrice - 6/10
Not bad, but not all that interesting either. It works, but it's pretty safe.

JimmyB - 7/10
The shade of green for the grass is too bright for my tastes. I absolutely love the tile choices though, and you seem to fit them into the screen well. While the elevations are all parallel and perpendicular, this choice of them seems to get away with it more, and thus not look bad as a result. Would have been a lower rating if I was too blinded by the light green. LOL for song references.

Jupiter - 7/10
You do fantastic tile work, as is shown by the skeleton. However, it doesn't make the whole screen. But the theme you put it in seems to work correctly. Some of the design is a little confusing, but at the same time, I get the impression that confusing is part of the point of the screen itself. The mists (or shadows?) seem to indicate that.

Molten Onyx - 7/10
Clever idea for a screen having stairs connecting the roof of a building to the cliff edges above, although an awkward concept. Ground details look good, but the large number of tree types for one screen might be a little over the top. Luckily those details are kept at the edges, so as to draw away from them as a focal point. The real focal point with the building and the nearby ground and cliffs I believe to be where the best work has been done.

dragonsword - 7/10
Nice tile choices. My only gripe is that the color of water should be a little closer to the sand color, assuming it has a sandy bed, and being shallow water. Great job with the placements of trees and cacti, and the subtle changes in elevation along the edges of the screen.

Tough decision. A lot of the pros can cons of the four screens I gave a 7 seem to be on nearly an equal footing with each other. Thus, my vote for Jupiter was based on what I thought was the most interesting and risky screen among them.

#12 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Jimmyb for three reasons. First, I love the MC tiles (palettes a tad bright but meh) and second, the design is interesting. It's not really something I've seen done with MC. Third, it's the only one that's not depressing... icon_deformed.gif

Edited by Rem, 30 March 2010 - 03:14 PM.

#13 eNJuR

eNJuR

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Banjo7J)
That and the sand colour is just..un-sand-like. Sand is a kind of yellowy creamy beige colour, that's more like if pink and beige had an ugly baby.

not all sand is yellow, the yellowness is due to iron content in rocks. sand can be pink or black or white, or any colour really. yellow sand in video games has always bugged me, because it never seems to look realistic as it could

Thanks for input everyone so far though. yeah jupiter, i've fixed that right streamlet somewhat

Edited by dragonsword, 30 March 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#14 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Nice job with the Minish Cap-style, JimmyB! My vote goes to you. Jupiter, I almost voted for the screenshot, but it has several discrepancies (like the perspective of the waterfall). Nice job with the eerie feeling to it, though!

#15 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

Am I getting detail fatigue, or was there just something this week that made me really not all that interested in any of these? I'm not sure. They're not bad by any stretch of imagination, but... meh.

catfriedrice: I love snow scenes most of the time, but this one just seems a bit too straight for my liking - even if I did briefly consider voting for it.
JimmyB: The difference between your shot and the shots bracketing in terms of graphics and palette was just astounding. It's nice to have a bright screen amongst the washed-out dour and desaturated ones here... but really that's just a little bit too saturated for myself to be attracted to them.
Jupiter: I sorta liked the old palette a bit better, but no matter. The only thing preventing me from voting for this would be seeing it before.
Molten Onyx: This screen caught my eye the least, to be honest. While it is an excellent screen on any day of the week, it just doesn't stand out amongst a crowd that is so far up in front the performers on stage are honestly a bit worried (to say nothing of the musicians in the pit).
dragonsword: This caught my eye the most. The faintly desaturated but still bright catches my eye when all but one of the other entries are in a sort of glum greyness. *Votes*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users