Photo

Screenshot of the Week 284

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (66 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

Silver
IPB Image
ohdamngiganticsnowdragonwtf

Jupiter
IPB Image
From the Macbeth quest I am starting...battle and unfortunate bystanders.

green-kirby
IPB Image
Is there a secret on this screen? The world may never know...

DarkFlameWolf
IPB Image
Link wonders if there is a beach nearby, otherwise sand and grass look quite odd...

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

I have voted for Silver, his shot is quite interesting. I would have voted for DarkFlameWolf, but the palette is not appetizing.

#3 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:35 PM

Silver: The perspective on the dragon seems to jar too much with the screen itself, even allowing for Zelda's already-odd rules on perspective. Apart from that, it doesn't seem to be a particularly interesting screen, save for the dragon.

Jupiter: I liked it, but sadly a screen below it held my attention better. It's a good screen no matter what I voted in the end, don't worry. Good luck on what should be known as "The Scottish Quest".

green-kirby: Those open corners are like daggers to my heart... Apart from that, there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of eye-pleasing screen design. The one thing going for it is the fact that I absolutely adore the color of the green trees for whatever reason (is this a default palette?).

DarkFlameWolf: I just love this screenshot for some reason. Is it the odd-yet-somehow works combination of the sand and detailed grass? The great usage of those mountains? The implication of action? The birds, which I assume to be seagulls? Even with that palette, it seems to convey the proximity to the ocean far better than the simple usage of a different palette would.

...as should be blatantly implied, I voted for DFW's shot.

#4 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Silver wins my vote hands down in compared with the other shots which seem very overly brownish-green by comparison. Plus Ice Dragons are just plain sweet.

Jupiter I'd have to award second. But sadly there is no second place.

And shoot, I wanted to do some more abstract ZC art as part of my "when scripting goes horribly wrong portfolio", but I've been so busy this week with other stuff.

Edited by Gleeok, 28 February 2010 - 11:57 PM.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

Voted for Jupiter. Something about the design just appeals to me.

#6 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

I voted for Jupitar. I just liked the screen.

I was going to vote for Silver, but the dragon just looked strange compared to everything else.

#7 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:41 AM

I've seen that DarkFlameWolf shot about a thousand times, but it never fails to impress me. Nice work.

#8 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

My vote will have to go to Jupiter, it was a hard decision, in a bad way.

Silver: First of all, this looks like something taken out of pokemon D/P/Pt in terms of graphics and shading style. It's generally ugly with such use of pillow shading.

The other two problems is the major style and perspective clash. The graphic style (as mentioned above) is not in the zelda style nor the style of the rest of the tiles in the room, therefor it just looks odd. But it's also a perspective clash as it looks like it's standing on almost a 2D flat surface. (2D flat = like in mario and such when seen from the side) rather then top down. Drawing this thing in the right perspective is much, MUCH harder. But it will also look so much better!

Jupiter: There are a few bad things about the screen, I know we are commenting the gameplay screen but... the red status bar text sticks out a bit to much IMO. There is a lot of style clash in terms of shading on the things on screen and it really does partly get in the way. The thing I have the most issue with is that damn pot on the stump! When you place a pot on a stump, you can't place it near the corner, obviously not in the dead center (though that would work better.) either (No one is perfect at placing pots after all!)

Green-Kirby: The palette on most things really need some damn work, get off your lazy ass and do something about it!

DarkFlameWolf: The screen is not bad in any way. But it's plain, simple and overall a good screen. Even though those are the best in-game I rather see (and vote for) screens that look unique for the SotM, after all, it will market that quest so it should provide one of the better parts! =)
(BTW, that really looks like origin, is it origin?)

Pheonix: Yeah, it is. I messed up a bit in the palette editor, that palette was going to be used in a dungeon but I had yet to learn how to use it yet. Looking back on it, it really looks much better then the standard one. =)

#9 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(green-kirby @ Mar 1 2010, 10:54 AM) View Post

Jupiter: There are a few bad things about the screen, I know we are commenting the gameplay screen but... the red status bar text sticks out a bit to much IMO. There is a lot of style clash in terms of shading on the things on screen and it really does partly get in the way. The thing I have the most issue with is that damn pot on the stump! When you place a pot on a stump, you can't place it near the corner, obviously not in the dead center (though that would work better.) either (No one is perfect at placing pots after all!)

Thanks GK for giving me your vote, even though it was reluctant.

So that I can address the problem, what issues are there that stand out to you with the shading?

I'm an agreement with the pot on the stump. I'm trying to make it so that it looks like a sort lived in out of the way cottage, hence trying to have some stuff lying around, like the pot, as if it was just left there the last time it was used. But it doesn't fit on that stump...I really just need a different item to put on there.

As for the font. You're not the first to criticize that. I get the problems some people are having with it...but I'm trying to give the quest an overall atmosphere of menace, I think the font adds to that a little. I like it for now, but will keep reconsidering it until I finish the quest I'm sure.

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Mar 1 2010, 09:41 PM) View Post

Thanks GK for giving me your vote, even though it was reluctant.

So that I can address the problem, what issues are there that stand out to you with the shading?

I'm an agreement with the pot on the stump. I'm trying to make it so that it looks like a sort lived in out of the way cottage, hence trying to have some stuff lying around, like the pot, as if it was just left there the last time it was used. But it doesn't fit on that stump...I really just need a different item to put on there.

As for the font. You're not the first to criticize that. I get the problems some people are having with it...but I'm trying to give the quest an overall atmosphere of menace, I think the font adds to that a little. I like it for now, but will keep reconsidering it until I finish the quest I'm sure.

The ground/wall/stumps/etc all have rather high detail level. Those tiles are also using a very smooth shading.
The walk able sprites on the other hand lack very much detail, this is however good as the sprites should stand out and be easy to identify. The problem is mainly, the trees from the oracle series, pots and such that simply lack that level of detail as the rest of the graphics have. In order to make those tiles stand out more the choice of palette is not as smooth, this is generally good when using more tiles like this, but it simply clash to much here.

The pot on the stump is generally not a bad idea, but no sane person would just put it on the edge of it like that, it's much higher risk of it falling of a breaking! icon_razz.gif

As for the font: The problem is not the color of the font per se, it's how bright it is. It's also it that it red and green clashes so that makes it stand out even more. I would suggest at least making the red a bit darker and maybe making the green in another color. Obviously this won't be one of the biggest matter when you play the quest (sticks out while looking at screens though) but making it better will improve it in at least some way. =)

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

Silver - 7/10
Nice custom boss and setting for it. The snow brings on that extra touch very well.

Jupiter - 7/10
Not bad in general. I love the way the road leads to the house, and how the effects of it being on fire are used. On the other hand, the pot on top of the stump looks a little awkward, but that is no huge deal.

green-kirby - 6/10
Not bad for a newcomer to this site. The green trees and bushes on the more arid dirt side of the ground does look out of place, though. Perhaps the green and orange trees should be reversed, and go with not as fertile looking bushes on the dirt ground. Some forms of vegetation just look better on certain types of ground.

DarkFlameWolf - 7/10
Who says you can't make a great screen with only the more commonly seen tiles from a set? In addition to the elevation changes, I like how the dirt and grass pattern seem to climb through the cliffs themselves. The subtle hint of water in the lower right corner of the screen is just enough to point out that link is approaching the beach, and thus enough to effect the overall impression of where that screen is on a larger map. It's a very well done transitional type of screen. My vote slightly leans toward this. As for the palette being mentioned, I don't see what could be wrong with it. For me it looks pretty standard for an overworld screen.

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

It seems green-kirby won my vote, though it was a tough decision...

#13 Miragos

Miragos

みょん

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

I voted for DFW's Screenshot.
The mix of sand and grass looks simply amazing.
However all Screenshots are great this week.

#14 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

I went with Jupiter's. It's very vibrant.

Silver... the dragon's perspective makes it almost look like it is lying on its side.

#15 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

I voted for DarkFlameWolf. It looks simplistic, but still good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users