Original Graphics Showcase

• Please log in to reply
1785 replies to this topic

#1576 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand why GB perspective mountains are a smart idea. I'm not opposed to using them. I just think the LttP mountains compressed into that perspective don't look good. GB cliffs can do it, DoR cliffs can, and Firebird cliffs can. But LttP cliffs... eh, they just don't look good in that perspective. You've either gotta use them in their own perspective or use a different cliff set, I feel.

#1577 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:05 AM

Why not something a little more off-topic like "Simplicity"? You're clearly going for a simple style with the tileset and you want something short. And I am pretty certain everyone knows that this would be an aLttP themed tileset considering we all played Zelda... hopefully.

#1578 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:06 AM

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand why GB perspective mountains are a smart idea. I'm not opposed to using them. I just think the LttP mountains compressed into that perspective don't look good. GB cliffs can do it, DoR cliffs can, and Firebird cliffs can. But LttP cliffs... eh, they just don't look good in that perspective. You've either gotta use them in their own perspective or use a different cliff set, I feel.

OK...Then do you have any compromise? Have you ever found any cliff tiles that don't take up a lot of space? On one hand, the goal of the tileset is to have everything be in the LttP style. But on the other hand, I find that Z3-styled tiling just really doesn't work in Zelda Classic.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 14 February 2015 - 12:06 AM.

#1579 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

You could try looking at Sludge's mini Z3 mountains. They weren't graphically perfect, but they were a good compromise. Z3 perspective without the enormous size. Mightr be a good starting point.

#1580 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

You could try looking at Sludge's mini Z3 mountains. They weren't graphically perfect, but they were a good compromise. Z3 perspective without the enormous size. Mightr be a good starting point.

Hmm...Any way you could link me to those? I have a hunch those are the same tiles used in older Pure sets, but I can't really find them as a loose tiles entry.

#1581 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

If it means anything, I think the mountains are pretty good as they are and I like them a lot.  If you want to change them, that's your call, but just remember that you can't please everyone (and that you should never compromise, not even in the face of armageddon).  Hell, there's a reason I use the original Koten set over the updated version- I did not at all care for the changes.

Anyway, I didn't mean that your Link should be 2 pixels shorter, I meant that he should be 2 pixels thinner- 18x14, rather than 18x16.  The face and gut just need a bit of slimming and I think you'd have a good set on your hands.

• Shane, Jared, Lightwulf and 1 other like this

#1582 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Well...OK then. I think what I'll do in the end is finish more of the project, then revisit the cliffs to see if they work. If I make a screenshot that's just a bunch of cliffs sitting in an empty screen, of course it will look bad. Once I finish things like paths and trees and foliage, I'll be better able to see how the cliffs harmonize with the rest of the set.

P.S. Nova has been my favorite title suggestion so far. Nice one, Demonlink. :D

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 14 February 2015 - 12:52 PM.

• Lightwulf and Demonlink like this

#1583 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

Hmm...Any way you could link me to those? I have a hunch those are the same tiles used in older Pure sets, but I can't really find them as a loose tiles entry.

http://www.purezc.ne...age=tiles&id=35

• DragonDePlatino likes this

#1584 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

After a little more tweaking, I've arrived at (hopefully) the finalized cliff and Link tiles. It's really important I get these two things right, because they're the core of the tileset that'll be seen in almost every screenshot. Everything after this will be eaaasy. (except for maybe water)

lttp_tiles_by_dragondeplatino-d8i7t3j.pn

I experimented with different ways of drawing the diagonal cliffs, and I found the best (and easiest) way to draw them is to follow the pixel curve of the top of the cliff, copying it exactly for the shading. I also dropped Link's tunic a pixel at Scootaloo's request. Link looked too thin when I took a pixel off each of his sides, so hopefully making his torso taller will slim him up.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 16 February 2015 - 01:17 AM.

• Shane, Jared and Lightwulf like this

#1585 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:18 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I've finished enough tiles for a proper mockup and I'd really like to get some feedback on this.

nova_pure_tiles_by_dragondeplatino-d8icc

So, after playing around with ideas for trees for a while, I decided I'd try something new. These trees need 2 layers like GBC trees, but they're just a little bit bigger at 2x3 tiles. A neat thing I thought up is that you can mix and match tree/stump tiles for all kinds of combinations. Any thoughts on these? For Nova Pure(?) I'm aiming for something that's a cross between EZGBZ and DoRH as far as complexity goes. A sort of transition set, if you will.

Edited by DragonDePlatino, 16 February 2015 - 10:20 PM.

• SpacemanDan, Shane, Jared and 3 others like this

#1586 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

First of all, I'm really digging those stumps and trunks.  Those are wonderful, and the bushes/grass/flowers are nicely done as well.  Unfortunately, I'm not really feeling the treetops- they look too... squished.  Personally, I would say either shorten them, or make them a bit wider- one or the other.  I also feel like the octoroks could use a little more shading... But I'm not as sure about that, I could be wrong.

Sorry if it seems like I nitpick too much. D:

• Jared and DragonDePlatino like this

#1587 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

jEGkh0m.png
My first ever custom work :) custom Link for EZGBZ, based on the BS Link :) no stealing please, not yet at least :) as you can see they are still WIP, but I don't need charging sprites really .) But if someone wants me to finish this, sure I can do those too :) And critique and suggestions on it would be nice :)

• Shane, Eddy, Jared and 3 others like this

#1588 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Remember awhileish back I said I would work on the other directions the NPC would face? Well, I did:

c9kwssb.png

(Note I was too lazy to get a proper cropped image, so just deal with the extra bits at the sides)

I probably will fix any pixel errors I see, and Toby's shirt color will probably change to something more dingy and older looking.

• Shane likes this

#1589 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:53 PM

a bit of blending between the dark and light cliff browns would help.

#1590 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:23 AM

@LunarRedMage:  Looks great so far!  :D

@Coolgamer012345: Overall, very nice!  :)

However, I'm not so sure about the side-facing sprites (where the body is facing to the side; the sprites with body facing north/south look fine), the arm in particular.  The arm doesn't look very defined; plus, it's in an entirely different position than for the north/south facing sprites.

I would suggest using another black pixel or two to define his arms and, unless you really want his hands up like Mario, I'd suggest putting them lower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users