Photo

Screenshot of the Week 259

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (50 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:15 AM

Spram
IPB Image
Time to get wet.

Dawnlight
IPB Image
Not having a map is a "pure" way to get lost.

Pheonix
IPB Image
Link tries to solve a rapidly approaching problem with his trusty sword - and presumably fails.

Evile
IPB Image
Winter madness.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

I voted for Evile. The MZC Set is gonna be awesome!

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

My vote went to Spram. He makes all of this graphics work. icon_thumbsup.gif It's all very well balanced and is beautifully set forth.

#4 Prophecy Face

Prophecy Face

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

Damn, Spram. icon_teehee.gif I love the graphics. *votes*

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Spram, this is really original and looks very authentic. I think this is the best LoZ remake I've seen so far.

#6 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

I voted for Evile. Looks really great. icon_thumbsup.gif
Other than that, I think that all the screenshots this week look pretty good!

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

Spram - No complains maybe 1 more ground detail

Dawnlight - Yes pure lightens my day now icon_biggrin.gif thank god you know how to handle pure **VOTES

Pheonix - good but more detail on the mountains please

Evile - No complains but your doing a great job through icon_biggrin.gif

#8 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

I really can't decide.

#9 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

Nulled, as I in this.

Spram: The mountains define this shot. Sadly the NES Zelda stairs and the grass kinda det- you know what, the grass kinda works actually.
Dawnlight: Love the palette - it really makes the forest look like something that's been around for ages, yet still lets light filter through the highest bran... I'm rambling. You also made the 2nd grass type work really well. I probably would of voted for this one had I not been in this.
Pheonix: 0/10 - I kinda whipped this up, and anyway I wouldn't vote for myself (or indeed anybody else). Although, I should have used a shot where the mountains and such didn't crowd out the screen, or something not as brown. Ah well. It's NewFirst, and I kinda got what was coming from using it.
Evile: I don't think that, even with snow, the ground should be completely white in a set with that level of detail. The upwards-facing Octorock looks kinda funky, but I'll let that slide.

#10 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Spram: 7/10
It's a solid shot with a good feel for itself. The grass isn't detailed, but the graphical style makes it work anyway. Unfortunately, I've never really been a fan of that style. I also don't really know what's going on in the lower right-hand corner- seems like you used a front mountain face? I don't really know. icon_shrug.gif
Dawnlight: 9/10
This shot has a lot of depth and great detail level. It feels like a shot made in a much higher-detail tileset. I do have complaints about the log and the trees. The log doesn't really need to be on top of the brush for that long- cover it up after one or two tiles. I also really like the MC tree trunks, but you should also use those on top of the brush instead of reverting to the LttP variants.
Pheonix: 7/10
Like Spram's, this shot feels very sure of itself and comfortable. It has an appealing palette, but I think falls short on details (especially on the mountains). Maybe a few trees or rocks could elevate this shot a little. Otherwise, design is very good and it's an appealing shot as a whole.
Evile: 8/10
A great shot with attractive graphics and design, but despite the details it feels very empty. icon_unsettled.gif I feel like there should be some variation in the ground type, but doing so wouldn't make a whole lot of sense since everything is covered by snow. Still, an 8/10 isn't bad at all.

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Went for Spram. It's pure eyecandy.

#12 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:45 PM

Spram's is rad!
~votes~

#13 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

I really like Spram's shot. It's different, vibrant, and the perspective looks really good. I love it when people make the mountains look good like that. My vote goes to him.

The other shots are really good, too.

#14 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

I love how Spram's captures the old SNES look. VOTE.

Dawnlight, I actually really like that shot. Close second.

Congrats to Phoenix. You don't get my vote, but you made New1st's color scheme not suck.

As for Evile. You may want to stab me, but I'm not a big fan of that shot.

#15 lord_jamitossi

lord_jamitossi

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

Spram's shot is really nice but has -one thing- wrong.
Given the perspective of everything else in the shot, the water looks really flat. I realized that that's what's bothering me about it. Where the river turns, if there was a little rise shown there as if the water had been cut into the soil. Likewise, on the near side of the bend there should look like there's a little drop-off into the water. Now it's simply pasted on top of the grass.
This really bothers me because otherwise the design of the screen is really good and that tileset would be new and refreshing.

Dawnlight: Nice use of the pure set, nice contrast between the ground feeling very intimate and the sky being very large and far away. I like the drama. Didn't vote for it, though, see below.

Pheonix: I like the action. But, the screen could use some work. Sorry. I find (with my not-so-experienced-in-ZQuest-but-reasonably-artistic eye) that there's too many regions of colours in it. It's very Green Over Here, Brown Over Here, Blue Down Here. The nestled cliffs are cool, but where they meet the water you could have some evidence of a rocky lake floor? It looks like the rocks don't fit because they end too abruptly.
As for the tileset, which is what's really being showed off here, it's good, but the water could be a bit of a tamer colour. There's a lot of water in games and if it's that intense of colour it might take away from the rustic feel (or insert cliche here) of the set.

Evile: My vote went here. The screen is very Zelda. I've noticed that while a lot of the screens in ZC are terrific in design, they don't have the simplicity of some of the best Zelda screens. This shot does. It looks like the big trees were placed there in an ordered fashion and then the smaller stuff grew up around them.

Edited by lord_jamitossi, 12 June 2009 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users