Photo

Screenshot of the Week 235

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 235 (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

tox_von
IPB Image

TheMasterSwordsman
IPB Image
How can you fly a kite if you can't even see it?

Majora
IPB Image
Emerging from teh cave, our hero sets foot into the Lake Yozu area.

#2 Silver

Silver

If only scripting were that easy...

• Members

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

I know that I'n not one to talk, but there's nothing that screams icon_wow.gif WOW icon_wow.gif this week...
I voted for Majora. It was close between that shot and TMS'.

#3 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:56 PM

tox-von: That's water? The colors make it hard to tell if the lower part of the screen is higher or lower, and the rocky water just looks like rocks at first glance.

TheMasterSwordsman: Get the kite flyer to a lower part of the screen. Other than that, good. Gets my vote.

Majora: The grass is repetitious. Get a bit of dirt or short grass to fix it.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

tox-von: It's hard to tell what I'm looking at. Try taking out the big Zora on the cliff. It threw off the perspective.
TMS: A little too symmetrical, but it's still a very good town shot. *votes*
Majora: I don't know, but something's not right. I just can't tell what.

#5 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

TMS. But, it is pure but still, repetative pattern with the pavers.

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

tox_von - 7/10
Nice Oracle of Ages theme. My vote goes here.

TMS - 6/10
It works like a screen should, but is nothing interesting. I can't give extra ga ga points then.

Majora - 6/10
Same comment as I gave TMS.

#7 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

tox_von: I see where you're trying to go with this one, but the drawing structure of some of the tiles really need improvement in my opinion. Sorry. icon_shrug.gif

TMS: You suck. icon_teehee.gif

Majora: The detail seems centered on the top-right of the screen. Try making sure that the detail spans the entire screen instead of one particular place.

EDIT: Forgot to add my comments on what people have said about my screen so far!

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Nov 2 2008, 11:06 PM) View Post

TMS - 6/10
It works like a screen should, but is nothing interesting. I can't give extra ga ga points then.

Symmetry? Or simply nothing amazing going on to grab you?

QUOTE(Lord Ike @ Nov 2 2008, 11:04 PM) View Post

TMS. But, it is pure but still, repetative pattern with the pavers.

I'll say this: The paths could have been a bit less repetitive... but then it would have conflicted with the overall feel I was going for: a planned village.

QUOTE(Russ @ Nov 2 2008, 11:01 PM) View Post

TMS: A little too symmetrical, but it's still a very good town shot. *votes*

I tried to use the trees, NPCs, and colors of houses to kill some symmetry (it seems to have partially worked, because if it were really symmetrical it would've looked awful).

QUOTE(hinsburg @ Nov 2 2008, 10:56 PM) View Post

TheMasterSwordsman: Get the kite flyer to a lower part of the screen. Other than that, good. Gets my vote.

I blame whoever made the kite flyer tile in Pure.

Edited by TheMasterSwordsman, 02 November 2008 - 11:40 PM.

#8 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Hmm... Well I think most people can agree with me when I say We've seen better SotW entries. icon_frown.gif Not to say that any of it's bad, of course.

tox_von: I can see the direction you're going with this screen, but alot of it looks kind of like a jumbled mess. It's hard to see what some of it actually is. For example, the tops of the rocks. At first glance, I'd guess it's water. But judging from the fact that there are Zoras, fish, and that everything is blue, I'd guess the whole screen's underwater. So that 2x2 Zora sprite looks kind of out-of-place, bathing in the rocks. icon_razz.gif

TMS: Simple Pure shot. Nothing wrong with it. Not too bad, actually. *votes*

Majora: Looks like most of your effort went into the top-right part of the screen. Everything else looks too straight, or without much detail. Try making the mountains and stream curve a bit more, and you desperately need more detail.

#9 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

I'm going to judge these shots not only on how pretty or consistent they are, but also on the somewhat-opposing factor of innovation.

Starting with tox_von... I don't imagine a lot of new tiles were imported or even drawn for this, but that's not always necessary. I will say that whatever you had in mind for your King Zora tiles, it comes off a little bizarre. I take it he's burrowing out of the underwater rock/coral? If you don't do something about the water ring around him, it'll look more like he's melting down, and I don't think that's what you had in mind. Other than that, this is a pretty linear screen. Just two ways to go: left and right. Screenshots like this are like cake. Try to get the corners, or the most elaborate parts. -4-

TheMasterSwordsman: It's a good tileset for when you wanna make a quest. It doesn't lend itself that well to making "wow" screenshots though, does it? Still, if you can pull off something really fancy, they can be used... anything can be used, even the LoZ tileset! However, I don't think this is one of them. It's a little more open and free, which is good given the context, but the town is essentially a grid. The subscreen looks nice though. I like having the map in the center. -5-

Majora: I've heard a lot about this quest and all the various things you're doing with it... which makes me ask, "why this shot?" it's some stacky trees, some grass, a brown mountain and cave... I know you have way better NEW stuff to give us than this. icon_wink.gif -5-

Overall, it's kind of a slow week. TMS, Majora, I'd say take some time to fish around in your quests for something fresh, cause I know both of you have got it somewhere. as for tox? Not a lot of people do the submerged Zora place scene thing, so you have an edge there. ...what version are you using?

Edited by Old-skool, 03 November 2008 - 01:31 AM.

#10 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:34 AM

I went with TMS' shot. I like how the screen looks, except, there is a major symmetrical thing going on here, including the hud. Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but the one side looks like a color changing mirror for the other side. The palm trees look a little strange up top too, but overall, I like the feel of it. icon_biggrin.gif

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:04 AM

TMS gets my vote because it's the best designed out of the three.

#12 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

I voted for Majora, it seems to be the most decent of this weeks entrys to me. icon_freak.gif

#13 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

I nulled, I didn't really like any of them this time.

#14 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

tox_von
It's crazy, you used he tiles all wrong and it just looks weird.

TheMasterSwordsman
Everything's too random or symmetrical. That's really all I can say.

Majora
Sucks. icon_deformed.gif

Well I nulled. Nothing great this week.
Also, I pretty much made Majora's shot for him, thus the comment that would normally get me banned.

#15 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(TMS)
Symmetry? Or simply nothing amazing going on to grab you?

The latter. Symmetry neither helped nor hurt in this case from my viewpoint. It is a good screen for a quest, as it gets the job done in that regard. It is just not what I consider SotW eye candy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users