ToTheTop Topic

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#1 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Alright! This is going to be the official ToTheTop Topic now that I'm working on it again, and I've gotten quite a bit done.

For those unfamiliar with the quest, it is basically just one huge tower with ten floors, each floor a separate dungeon with its own theme, gimmick, and items. There are also a few secret dungeons, but those are for you to find.

I would like to start off by saying that there are admittedly a few things that certain people may not like about this quest. If these things will bug you too much, and the justifications still do not satisfy you, I would love it if you would still try it out, but that is completely up to you.

1) This quest uses the classic set.
I love the classic set, and I find it very easy to work with. If I were using a different set, chances are this quest would take much, much more time to complete, and the design as well as other aspects might suffer. That being said, there are tons upon tons of custom/ripped graphics from my mind and other Zelda games. I see no reason why this complaint should stop you from playing.

2) No overworld.
Well, yeah. That's kind of the point. If you think that you'll be missing out on a lot of exploration, though, the dungeons are usually pretty exportable, especially the secret dungeons. It's not like I can throw an overworld in the middle of a tower, now can I? *hint, hint, nudge, nudge, wink, wink*

3) Where is the sword?
Level 6. Sorry. This quest was built strongly around certain unique uses of items. Just because you don't have the sword right away doesn't instantly make the quest really difficult. The items you get are quite sufficient for the tasks you must complete, plus it makes you see certain items in a new light; using them in ways you wouldn't bother doing if you had the sword. You get the arrows on the first floor, which are a) two times stronger than the first sword, and b) long range 100% of the time. You have 999 rupees to start off, so there shouldn't be any problems with fighting. Through this, I'm trying to give some items more of what they deserve. Trust, me; once you start playing, you don't even think about not having the sword, and when you get it, you realize that you were pretty much Ok without it. Besides, the sword you get is level three.

4) No story.
The “story” of this quest is one that is a mystery to the player until he or she reaches the goal set before them. There IS a story in this quest besides to get to the top. It evolves very, very slowly, until you reach a certain point in the tower when you will suddenly be immersed in a story that somehow seemed nonexistent until that point. If you want to find out what that is, you’ll have to play it.

5) Uh, the first few floors suck.
Firstly, this is a matter of opinion. Secondly, another unique part of this quest is the “evolution” of the game itself. Every floor, something new (and better) is introduced. The graphics slowly go from totally classic to almost 50% custom/ripped in a classic environment. There are always new puzzles, and old ones are elaborated. Gimmicks get more advanced. Difficulty increases. As said above, a story slowly starts to emerge. If you don’t like the first few floors, then you can only look forward to better ones as you climb.

6) This is too hard.
-Enemies/bosses/traps
Five things: 1) If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Really, just learn from your mistakes and try to do better the next time. 2) As stated above, items may be more useful than you think sometimes. Try something you might not normally do. 3) Enemy combinations are frequently set up in ways that may have certain ways to go about beating them. 4) I tried very, very hard to tone down the enemies in this quest. If you’ve played Death’s Power, this is nothing. The difficulty damage wise comes more from the rooms themselves rather than from the enemies. 5) The secret dungeons have some good aid if you can find and complete them.
-Puzzles
Since this is one of the main focuses of this quest, the puzzles (room or global) may be difficult. Don’t forget to search everywhere and try everything, and if you’re really stuck, it’s never a problem to ask.

After all that, I think I said more good than bad, so maybe this is actually a good quest after all. Seriously though, all quests have their strengths and weaknesses, and if you’re going to enjoy it, you have to deal with the weaknesses and embrace the strengths. Being the one who is building it, I probably have a bit of a bias, but I think this is a very enjoyable quest.

Now for some screenshots!

Tower

Floor 6
Raft Problems
Notice the somewhat custom tiles
Anyone recognize this puzzle?
Block puzzle
Custom mini-boss
They dislike smoke
Use the hookshot

Floor 7
Low
Medium
High
Can't quite reach the chest
Pillar crossing
Again with the block puzzles
What to do?
Important switch
Custom gate

Floor 8
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image

Floor 9!

Screenshots:
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image

Features:
-A fully functioning day/night system
-Many short trading sequences and one long bonus trading sequence
-A full 8x8 over world accompanied by an 8x8 cellar underneath it
-8 mandatory mini-dungeons, each with their own interesting gimmicks
-2 secret dungeons, also with awesome gimmicks
-A few other areas that aren’t dungeons, over world, or the cellar such a castle and its prison
-A couple custom bosses/mini-bosses tucked in here and there
-2 mini games, one of which being very unique
-The blossoming of the story behind this quest and the tower

Floor 10!
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image

Other
Troublesome waters
That thing can change direction
Foresty
Two switches
Cave area
More hookshot

For more pictures, and some slightly outdated info, go here.
For videos of this quest, go here.

Expect 10-15 hours of solid gameplay from the start of the quest to the end of floor 10.

This quest is made for 2.10, so use that unless you absolutely cannot.

Here is the latest version!
Download!

Status of Current Version
Floors: 10
Custom bosses: 6
Secret Levels: 5
-Floor 1 boss is now easier.
-Floor 5 boss is now easier.
-A few graphical errors fixed (thanks goes to Zenith for pointing them out!)
-Removed bomb damage to avoid some damage warping

If you finished floor 9, now that I've update with floor 10, you can start from there with your current stats. In order to do this, just replace the old file with the new file in the same folder is was in before, without renaming it. Once the quest is finished, you will be able to finish. I will not change anything major from what has already been made, only fixing bugs that are found and other possible small tweaks.

So, if you want to play it, go right ahead! If you want to test it, thank you very, very much. I need testers, and as many people can test as you want, so test away! Feel free to leave any comments, questions, problems, bugs, suggestions, hypotheses, or whatever else relating to the quest. It will be appreciated.

Edited by TheOnlyOne, 29 July 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:27 PM

Hey this is nice. I watched some videos earlier today ( no kidding ) and here you post a topic about it. weird? Anyways this is something I'm gonna look out for icon_smile.gif

#3 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:10 AM

I'll test it tomorrow. looks good. Anybody who can use freeform dungeons in classic sure earns my respect.

#4 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:31 AM

Aw SWEET. Seven floors. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

I just downloaded this and I'll play it later. icon_smile.gif

I have a suggestion for this game though, which you obviously don't have to take... Think about making Link look different. Even if it's just a minor palette change it would definitely add a more distinct flavor to this awesome game. ^_^ Personally I'm a fan of Classic Links that use two shades of green.

Those 3-level Water shots looked UNREAL, man. I can't wait until this is finished... Let us know if you start to lose interest in this again so we can smack some sense into you until you get this thing completed! icon_kawaii.gif

#5 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hmm. I was thinking about changing Link, but after what happened with my last quest, I thought I'd try not to touch him... I might still do a change though, but later in the game as a secret of some sort. For changing the pallet, though, what uses pallet 6? I don't want to change it if it will make other things look weird or involve too much re-coloring. Also with the pallets, I've made the decision to stick to only three colors on the level pallets and the six wherever it shows up naturally. Again, in my last quest, I threw in a lot of colors in random pallets near the end for some custom tiles. Not that it made anything else change, but it got pretty messy. I'll think about it.

And gray0x, thanks a lot for doing some testing once you start. I hope you, and everyone else who downloads it, has some fun.

#6 Accr89

Accr89

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

I remember this game from watching it on youtube. I love the custom bosses you made, especially the one on floor 7. icon_smile.gif I can't for the full game to come out, keep up the good work!! icon_thumbsup.gif

Edited by Accr89, 31 July 2008 - 02:50 PM.

#7 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

Ok, I have a quick question once anyone gets through floors 5 or 7. Do you think the rooms that require multiple keys are really annoying, or that they are a good way of handling my love of keys? (Seriously, floor 7 has 16 keys plus a boss key). I need to know before I start floor 8 so I can decide if I should still use a bunch of keys or try to put the floor together some other way.

#8 Accr89

Accr89

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:36 PM

Wow thats crazy!!!!! icon_freak.gif

Well I didn't get to floor 7 yet. Right now I'm on floor three and I am having I bit of trouble finding the second key. Great floor by the way the use of the block switching between to realms is pretty neat. icon_smile.gif I just can't find that second key and I have been searching for awhile right now. icon_confused.gif

Anyways I think when make floor 8 you should make it different from all the rest of floors whatever the may be. The more diversity the better! icon_wink.gif

Nevermind I watched one of your videos. That helped alot, it would took me awhile to figure out that you have to push the torch when you light it with the candle. Very tricky icon_wacky.gif

Edited by Accr89, 31 July 2008 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:45 AM

Stuck on floor 2. Can't find a key for the door in the room...well, I can't give you the exact coordinates, 'cause I don't have the map, but it has a locked door to the south, the room north is a lava puzzle, and the room to the east has a block puzzle; the room north of that has an unlit torch in it and a ton of invisible warps.

#10 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:13 AM

zmaster: The key you're looking, along with the map, is hidden behind a walkthrough wall somewhere by the other key. That, or you could just try and get the one in the room by figuring out the path by guessing. You have to get both keys either way, but you may want to wait to find the candle before you get the later key.

#11 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, Link is CSet 6. Let me show you a screenshot of one way I changed Link without really messing up too much of the other colors.

IPB Image
This is what I mean by changing him around. It uses 3 shades of green, 3 shades of orange and 3 shades of grey (white counts as one of the shades of grey), plus actual black. But the shape of his sprite is barely different at all.

While I'd prefer you don't use these Link graphics as your own, you can certainly use it as a reference.

Or if you wanted to stick to the whole 3-color thing too, that works.

QUOTE(Accr89 @ Jul 31 2008, 09:36 PM) View Post
...you have to push the torch when you light it with the candle.

Aw MAN... I thought I was the first one to think of that. Blehhhhhhhh. icon_dead.gif

#12 vravelo

vravelo

I was killed a lot""---, try me now..!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:33 AM

Hi..! what it take to kill that stinking phatra at first level ???????
I did hit this with 20 arrows already and stay,, wrong way to do it,,?? or.....
its move from side to side, but I managed to hit it all icon_eek.gif times,,, any hints"? thanks

#13 Schwa

Schwa

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

Huh? Patras you kill with the SWORD and they don't move. Gohmas are weak to the arrow and move sideways.

But if I recall correctly, the Floor 1 boss is a Custom Boss (they're all custom I believe) and has a video that shows how to beat it. YouTube of course. TO1, that's right isn't it?

#14 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

Nevermind. EDIT.

Edited by DarkFlameWolf, 01 August 2008 - 09:35 AM.

#15 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

vravelo: Yup, the boss on the first floor is a custom gohma boss. Video is here.

If you're having problems, you probably have to move quicker. The part before you get to the health bar is timed, so if you aren't fast enough, you have to start that section over. You could technically hit it infinite times and still lose if you're too slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users