Photo

Screenshot of the Week 214

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 214 (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite screen!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

CastChaos
IPB Image
The world looks somewhat new today... Is this how it stays...?

dlbrooks34
IPB Image
Should it be used here?

Schwa
IPB Image
No fair. I want a house like that.

#2 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

CastChaos... That screen looks... Chaotic to say atleast... the graphics are very... weird... but it's better than many of your screens.
Dlbrooks, you need to add... screenelements. Slapping on a bunch of trees and making a straight mountain line isn't going to make your screen good... make it good, by using dfferent tiles... and cover up all your corners. Having so many trees in one part of the screen doesen't look good... and curve out the mountain.
Schwa, that is brilliance. Great work! Really reminds me of SoD, which isn't a bad thing at all... Awesome! *vote*

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

- CastChaos -

HOLY SCHNIZZUM!! It has nice detail, but the perspective is really weird in ZC, especially mixed in with that sidewalk.

- dlbrooks34 -

HOLY SCHNIZZUM!! It's way too empty, dude.

- Schwa -

HOLY SCHNIZZUM!! That shot has amazing detail, you get my vote, dude. icon_biggrin.gif

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

Wow, this was an insane decision between Schwa and CastChaos. Both screens are great. So I used eni meni mino mo. Schwa one. Congrats Schwa! CastChaos, yours also looks amazing!

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

CastChaos - 6/10
The tiles are very nice, but the screen looks a little awkward in places.

dlbrooks34 - 6/10
A very well done generic overworld screen for play purposes, but it isn't that interesting. Depsite that, the arrangement of trees is very good and the color of the rain seems to work. Some more ground details would help a lot. Looking beyond the rain, a lot of parts are just one solid color.

Schwa - 8/10
Very good detail and tree shadowing. Everything fits well nicely. Very consistent.

#6 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

CastChaos: Screen.

dlbrooks34: Empty screen. Use more ground detail and more kind of trees, even if you make the mountain stay straight.

Schwa: Schwa quality. Nice unique layout, perfect ground detail, a house where anybody would want to live. Altough, you could have more than one kind of tree.

#7 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

I voted for CastChaos, I love the tiles used in that shot. icon_ohmy.gif (Just wondering, are those the tiles from that Mac and Blue tileset you featured in the last expo?)

Edited by HeavyTitanium, 08 June 2008 - 04:40 PM.

#8 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:43 PM

CastChaos: Nice GFXS but I don't think they fit ZC. But it's a good screen (relly it was the path that thought me off(stuck out too much)) (2nd)

dlbrooks34: OK it's not a bad attemt but it could use non striget Mts and a bit more detile and some more objects (3rd)

Schwa: RUN FROM THE PURE alsomeness. Great pure shot and *vote*

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:14 PM

Well.

I don't really much like any of them, but I voted for Schwa, because I think his is the best designed and most playable.
I'm really not too keen on the palette, and the overhangs really don't do the screen any good, and although the small log really doesn't look amazing with so little brush on the sides, I can see how it works and I quite like the one-way system. Those sort of little block puzzles are one of the things I can never really get my head around being bothered to do properly.

dlbrooks's is really not good.
A straight line of mountains, and a great big tree block, with a small amount of mostly pointless walkable area really doesn't cut it in my opinion.
If you were to make the mountain's shape a little more interesting, leave some more holes in the tree-block, and perhaps add some other solid objects to achieve that 'screen wall' that you need.
I think this is a case where leaving the top left corner un-blocked looks quite reasonable, and I like the palette, although some rocks/more ground detail also wouldn't go amis.

...and that brings me on the CC.
First of all, it's nice to see fresh new graphics.
However, when I first looked at it, something struck me as very odd.
At first I though 'oh, it's because the road has a black outline and the rest of the screen doesn't, but on closer inspection, I don't think that's the case.

I think what ruins that screen is the contrast in the palette.
Your black is very dark, whereas I think with a lighter shade - and I mean significantly lighter - the road, barrels and house windows would blend into the rest of the screen, and produce a very nice effect, wherease currently they stand right out, which looks very bad.
The rest of the screen looks smooth and blends into itself, which makes it hard to look at to start with, but once the eyes grow accustemed to it, it's a really nice effect that we don't see very often in Zelda Classic.
However, the high amount of black in the pavement really takes that out of it, completely, which makes the graphics look slapped together haphazardly.

Are the road and the rest of the screen from the same game?
If they're not, I've probably just typed out a load crap and they'll never fit together, but had a go lightening up your black and let me know what you think.

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

HeavyTitanium:
Yes, it's Mac&Blue! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe:
The road is entirely custom drawn, and its drawing was started before I decided that outlines take away too much space from the already (without outline) 16x16 objects. But this tileset is still in the making, so no error must stay unsolved. What you see is an already really lightened black, but I can lighten it further, so those few outlined tiles don't conflict with the free ones.

#11 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

CastChaos, you really should take away the black in the road tiles... or better yet, add a black outline on the other tiles... that'd cut it.

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jun 8 2008, 11:21 PM) View Post
Joe:
The road is entirely custom drawn, and its drawing was started before I decided that outlines take away too much space from the already (without outline) 16x16 objects. But this tileset is still in the making, so no error must stay unsolved. What you see is an already really lightened black, but I can lighten it further, so those few outlined tiles don't conflict with the free ones.

Aha.

Well then, I suggest that you re-draw them without an outline.
I must say though, it's pretty good for custom work.

#13 ElLibertador

ElLibertador

Love and Peace

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

CC I absolutely love the work...except the grass. I don't like grass like that, but everything else is good. The walkway is good but I think the black outline ruins it :\

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

I'm voting for Schwa.

Molka Elite looks awesome!

#15 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

Holy shnitzel, I'm winning!? icon_omg.gif Wow.

CC's shot is actually pretty good, but the road graphics clash with everything else. All I'm saying is this better not be in BoB... If a whole Quest was designed to look like that, it'd be pretty good, but if that was just part of a Quest designed in, say, PTUX or DoR, it would just suck.

But the scarecrow is AWESOME. icon_kawaii.gif

dllbrooks' shot is just eww, no offense. No ground detail, and the Moblin sprites should be something better. I do have to give you credit for the subscreen though... It's pretty good, and the Hookshot icon (I mean the one on the subscreen) is cool. I'm glad you used that Hookshot instead of the Newfirst version that appears in so many Quests (even Pure quests! icon_augh.gif ).

I null'd, though, since I'm a part of this competition.

Glad you like my screen so much, guys! icon_kawaii.gif I was afraid there was something wrong with it, wasn't sure what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users