Photo

Screenshot of the Week 140

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 140 (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 140

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

Sorry I'm a day late. There were some things that needed to be taken care of yesterday. But, not much talking to do, because I am so tired. Here are this week's screenies! icon_smile.gif

Moonwhisper
IPB Image
Link must not get distracted from his quest, no matter how much he wants to build a snowman.

NoeL
IPB Image
Watch out for d'em d'ere critters Link!

spriteman
IPB Image
Dedicated for those who wanted a new passive subscreen

blaman
IPB Image
A shot from the next LoR...Legends of Romia 2, Mistress of the Wind.

There ya are! Sorry it was a day late, but like I said, there were some urgent things that needed to be done yesterday. Enjoy the shots! icon_biggrin.gif

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

Wo-how-how-how! Beautiful!

In a nutshell...
Moonwhisper: Good tiles, but there are so many different ones it crowds the screen. Variety is good, but not too much now. icon_razz.gif
NoeL: I cannot believe that was from Zelda Classic. The vibrant colors, the shadow, the incredible detail... This is one of the best shots I've ever witnessed in SOTW.
spriteman: Very detailed subscreen, and nice use of tiles. The only issue I have is that it almost seems the screen is too green... Maybe there ought to be a dirt patch or a darker shade of grass? Otherwise, fantastic.
blaman: A rather basic shot, if you ask me. Good concept, although there isn't anything that jumps out of me. Try putting a frog in the picture to remedy that. icon_heh.gif

I vote for NoeL. Really gorgeous shots all around, though. icon_smile.gif

#3 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:23 AM

I LOVE SPRITEMAN'S SUBSCREEN!

#4 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:31 AM

In all honest truth, I don't even know which one's the best! They're all so good! Well, usually I say my vote, first, then opinionate the pics, but I'll do the opposite this time.

Moonwhisper - I like the many varieties of tiles you set up in that screen. I also like that wand Link is using. But, not much going on, although it looks like the statues are mirror combos, not that it matters in SotW icon_razz.gif .
NoeL - Wow, now that's eye candy! icon_omg.gif So much variety. I don't see a tile out of place! icon_thumbsup.gif
spriteman - I see you used lots and lots of greenery. That passive subscreen really seems to be the primary focus in this screenshot! The rocky background looks realistic! icon_eek.gif
blaman - Wow, nice pic, but I think symmerty is kinda not my thing when judging the pics. I know it's not COMPLETELY symmetric, but still. I do admit that the knight statues by the drawbridge and the detailing of the castle are good. icon_smile.gif

Well, my mind's made up. I'm going to go with NoeL's pic. I like the subscreen in spriteman's pic, but I am more looking forward to the artistic value of the screen, itself. The subscreen is beautiful, but if you matched the rest of the pic with the subscreen, so the subscreen wasn't the primary focus, I would have voted for that pic, instead.

Great pics, here! icon_thumbsup.gif

#5 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:46 AM

Alright, I'm winning icon_razz.gif All custom tileswork too, for those not in the know icon_wink.gif

Moonwhisper would've got my vote, but I nulled.

#6 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

null...

null.

#7 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

I voted for NoeL. I mean, it's so realistic. I'd have voted for Spriteman, but now, that Link picture looks... odd. That, and it doesn't compare to NoeL's screen. Oh yeah, and that custom subscreen clashes with the actual game section. Just look. At first, I thought he had found a way to make part of the screen appear behind the passive subscreen. Then, when I noticed it didn't, I saw what it really was- A simple background, but one that clashes with the game section's foreground. It almost makes it seem like he's trying to blend them together.

#8 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

Noel shot is amazing... It's unbelieveable that it's all custom work. icon_eek.gif I really like how you setup the mountains also. Its just a perfect screen.

*Votes*

#9 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:41 AM

Noel wins easily. Spriemans is nice but the Subscreen is too distracting and sticks out too much from the rest of the screen. The rest are average but Moonwhisper is last for not edging the snowy parts againest the grey sand of the structure at all.

#10 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

I voted for NoeL for the great ammount of detail in the shot.

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

A round of applause for all the contestants for coming up with some great screens this week. icon_clap.gif

Moonwhisper and blaman's shots functionally look very good, and the placement and choice of tiles are good. The other two offer some extra eye candy as well. I am drooling over NoeL's screen, as I find it almost hard to believe that I could see that in Zelda Classic. I saw a similar screen to that of yours in a competition weeks ago, although this one is much better because it has the right amount of brightness to it, in my opinion. NoeL gets my vote easily, but the effort was great from everybody else as well.

#12 Blue Link 2007

Blue Link 2007

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

I voted for blaman's shot, mainy because it looks so colorful! Too much green or white in the others. icon_unsettled.gif

#13 spriteman

spriteman

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

I don't really understand the people in this site. In the first screen the passive subcreen was very bad and that was the point of the sotw. Now that I've worked on it it too much... well, anyways NoeL's is very good but there are 4 things that I don't like.-The subscreen is very simple -The character and monster sprites are very different in comparation with the detailed background -The dirt is not very realistic and it's very repetitive-That tree seems somehow out of place and not well designed. But the rest is very good.
EDIT: And the snapshoot I've sended is of a forest... I think there shall be some green...

Edited by spriteman, 07 October 2006 - 06:18 PM.

#14 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

NoeL. You got tree problem fixed--now the grass and dirt needs a slight fix, and you're good to go. As for the subscreen, I hope you do more work with it sometime. *votes*

Spriteman--keep up with the good work,especially the subscreen--I'm guessing Cset5 is used for the background. But there are a few things that bug me. First off, the tree trunks that you have seem to be wrong perspective-wise; it looks like that pines start out straight then bend toward the camera. I have no problem with the "green", yet I wonder why you only released the Pure-compatible tree(you should know which one I'm talking about) and not the one in your pic--I've found more ZC users are using 4-6 shades of one color than ever in the past thanks to the 8-bit color now possible.

#15 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE(spriteman @ Oct 7 2006, 05:16 PM) View Post

I don't really understand the people in this site. In the first screen the passive subcreen was very bad and that was the point of the sotw. Now that I've worked on it it too much... well, anyways NoeL's is very good but there are 4 things that I don't like.-The subscreen is very simple -The character and monster sprites are very different in comparation with the detailed background -The dirt is not very realistic and it's very repetitive-That tree seems somehow out of place and not well designed. But the rest is very good.
EDIT: And the snapshoot I've sended is of a forest... I think there shall be some green...

In regards to the subscreen, ever heard the expression "less is more"? It's simple, yes, but it's effective. It serves it's purpose, and it doesn't steal focus from the game. I might customise it later on, but I don't think it looks "bad" as it is, so if it ain't broke, why fix it?

I've studied graphic design, and there's nothing worse than people overusing something "just because they can". When the WWW was new and people were first building websites, they were filled with flashing text and bright colours, but people don't do it anymore because it's an annoyance. Nowadays there's vast areas of "white space" to relax the viewers eyes. I think this is what many people have done with the custom subscreen feature. In due time people will revert back to more placid subscreens.

In my opinion, your subscreen is terrible. It looks like you've taken a background image then whacked stuff on top of it, with a terrible colour sceme, that pulls all the focus away from the game. That's why all your responses are "great subscreen!", because that's all they're seeing when they look at your shot, which isn't very good in a video game. There's just way too much going on in that subscreen. If it was less saturated and more monotone it would be much better.

I'll take your other comments onboard. I was going to redo the sprites but I kinda like the difference in detail... gives it sort of a cell animation look. I'm undicided on that one.

Edited by NoeL, 08 October 2006 - 01:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users