Photo

Screenshot of the Week 105

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 105 (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 105

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

I finally got three entries to this week's SotW, which was supposed to be last week's. I hope the turnout next time will be better... anyway, here are the entries:

dlbrooks34
user posted image

Setzer
user posted image
Statues and scholars and tiles. Oh my.

Shoelace
user posted image
Link is scared of the dark.

also, one of the entries was a .bmp. please remember to convert them to .gif, .jpg/.jpeg, or .png. the board cannot accept this format. thank you

#2 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

Setzer's shot has really nice tiles, but overall Shoelace's shot is most pleasing to my eye. Great design and I like the colors. *votes*

#3 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:26 PM

First One- No comment

Setzer- Nice tiles, Im kinda intreged if thats all made on one pallete or not (looks like 3 differento ones with all the shading) could you show me the pallete? Very nice, however...

Shoelace- Nothing custom, execpt colors, but theres something about the brown mountian, and very "Eastery" colors... not particullary original, but it is the most eyepleasing, and thats what the contest is for right?

#4 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:37 PM

Shoelace- Nothing custom, execpt colors, but theres something about the brown mountian, and very "Eastery" colors... not particullary original, but it is the most eyepleasing, and thats what the contest is for right?

Well I do have a lot of custom things elsewhere, but mostly everything is major edits as well as animated. The only thing in the picture that I didn't edit was the regluar dirt tiles. Everything else are edits. The only things custom in the picture is Link, the flowers, the little grass, and the items.

Anyways, thanks guys. I was basically testing out my palletes when I made this screen. As you could tell, this is a night shot. I am thinking of adding clouds, but am not sure it would look right at night. I am also thinking of ways to make it more nightlike. icon_razz.gif

#5 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:20 AM

Thought I'd check out SotW for this week.

While both the latter shots are exceptionally good, using too many black lines in landscape makes the surrounding area look like a compilation of sprites (Setzer's). Don't get me wrong, badass tiles and all, just shouldn't use so much silhouetes or any at all.
Shoelace's howeve,r hwile not custom, is one of the newer collaborations of tiles we've seen, and the palette soothes the eyes quite well.

Colors mean a lot to me, so Shoelace got my vote thsi time 'round.

Edited by PolygonX8, 21 November 2005 - 03:20 AM.

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:38 AM

dlbrooks34 - is it safe to assume this was a last minute entry? icon_sweat.gif

Setzer- i dont think were in Kansas anymore icon_razz.gif,first thing that came to mind was tetris with all its multicolor blocks icon_lol.gif -votes-

Shoelace - the classic tree looks alitle out of place with everything else,kinda flat thats my only complaint about this one

with the exception of the first one this weeks shots are good
even if theres only 2 more icon_razz.gif

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

I chose Setzer. I really like the floor tiles, statues, walls, and doors. All look done with a fine precision.

#8 Aaron

Aaron

AKA partymetroid

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

People: No to JPGs... use PNGs. PNGs are the better format :]. Especially if you have the GIMP which compresses them. And, you can make them indexed in the GIMP (and other photo-editing software, most likely), so that they have a 256 color limit like GIFs, but are much lower file size (smaller than GIFs, also icon_smile.gif).

And with that... I voted for Setzer. I liked the floor design :B.

#9 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

dlbrooks34
Well, the screen itself is pretty simple--just a few blocks on a stone floor, but clearly the highlight in this shot is the menu graphics, which look great, whether they were yours or not.

Setzer
One of the things I really don't like about older Zelda games is the lack of detail on the inaccessible spots on the screen. Often, that area is made up of one or two flat colors. What you do in this screen is nice. Not only are the floor designs and statues interesting, but the attention to detail on the walls is great. I wish the colors on the floor mixed in with the walls a bit better, but other than that, it is a very nice screen. In fact, you get my vote. icon_smile.gif

Shoelace
You mixed like, five different tilesets into this screen. icon_biggrin.gif While you did a nice job mixing them, but they obviously were not painted with the same brush. You could have easily chosen a better DMap title, too, but it looks very nice overall. icon_thumbsup.gif

#10 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(nicklegends @ Nov 22 2005, 04:03 PM)
Setzer
One of the things I really don't like about older Zelda games is the lack of detail on the inaccessible spots on the screen. Often, that area is made up of one or two flat colors. What you do in this screen is nice. Not only are the floor designs and statues interesting, but the attention to detail on the walls is great. I wish the colors on the floor mixed in with the walls a bit better, but other than that, it is a very nice screen. In fact, you get my vote. icon_smile.gif

I think they do that so there is more attention focused on the actual dungeon, and not the outskirts... dunno for sure though. Maybe they are just lazy icon_lol.gif

#11 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

looks like Shoelace has won this week's SotW! congrats, man

two entries for SotW 106, so keep submitting them

#12 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:37 AM

Congratulations, Shoelace.
I guess that mini-map title says the truth icon_thumbsup.gif .

#13 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:01 AM

What is the mini-map title?

EDIT: NVM, I found it... lol

Edited by XdragonSB, 27 November 2005 - 02:02 AM.

#14 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

Thanks guys! Yay, my second win! Thanks for those who voted for me. icon_razz.gif

Also, is the top 25 rankings going to be updated? Because they haven't been for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users