Photo

Screenshot of the Week 99

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 99 (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Screenshot of the Week 99

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:49 PM

Here we are again with 4 entries this week. Some interesting shots we do have though.

Dart Zaidyer
user posted image
Custom sprites, old tiles, new twists! A set truly made to be something I'd like to see. Coming "When it's Done™"!

Jake
user posted image
Link's been going Octorok hunting, one Octorok left.

Tobias Daboi
user posted image
Hmm... Haven't I seen that thing somewhere before..?

Hero Link
user posted image
Looky, Adventures of Link! icon_biggrin.gif GO LINK!!!

Well, that's the end of it. Enjoy, and have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

Now, this, my friends, is a tough decision.

Dart Zayder:
Nice tiles here, and good colors, although a bit more overall detail could have been added here. I think I shall vote for this shot nonetheless, because it is simply the most visually appealing. Well done! icon_biggrin.gif

Jake:
The trees in my opinion are too grid-like. Have you ever seen something in nature that looks like that? icon_razz.gif And also the types of trees you use are a bit odd... But don't take me to harshly. This is an okay shot, and I commend you on your effort. icon_smile.gif

Tobias Daboi:
I have no idea how you're going to pull that "custom" boss off, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun to battle. I wish the room itself had a bit more variety to it, though. (I understand the problems with textured floors with a custom boss, but more wall detail would have been welcomed. icon_wink.gif.) nice job getting that boss into ZC, though.

Hero Link:
You know, I was close to voting for this shot, but then I realized it's not difficult to rip AOL tiles, especially at three colors each. icon_razz.gif It looks identical to the real game, though. icon_kawaii.gif

Man, I wish I had entered last week's shot into this one instead. Oh well.

Edited by nicklegends, 18 September 2005 - 09:15 PM.

#3 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

I voted Hero Link. AoL pwns. I don't do SOTW on eye candy but on design.

Dart's is nice, but he needs an alternate grass tile...that looks a bit repetitive.

Jake's is a bit gridlike and has an OOS snow tree recolored green. It looks kinda weird.

Tobias shot is also good, but what is with the things on the south walls?! o_O And...it uses Pure tiles. No, I'm just kidding about that last statement...

So why did I vote for Hero Link? The world may never know.

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

(Thanks HL, I forgot today was Sunday...)

OMG, I have a vote icon_biggrin.gif The boss is fairly complex, but it is possible if all works as planned. I know what you mean about the screen lacking detail. I may change those AlttP floor tiles to some custom ones with some more variation, but this battle will become a huge fan of full screen warps so more floor details mean more double tiles for warps... Plus I want to avoid clutter. I was hesitant about putting those things on the southern wall.

Also, this is the level six boss from AlttP; Vitrious. I ripped it from Orion's AlttP set, but I did edit the colors, and I did "create" the smaller eye's new arangement.

This post just feels wierd...

As far as my vote goes, I nulled of course, but I do like HL's (because AoL is cool like that) and Dart Zaider reminds me of DoR icon_wink.gif

Jake's is nice too.

Good job people...

#5 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

Dart Zaidyer is my choice. These shots don't have as much eye candy as the best shots from last week, but they don't lack creativity. Hero Link brings back Zelda 2, something I have not seen before in a screenshot, but what you can do with that seems limited than say what you can do with say Pure or Descendant tiles. Tobias Daboi uses some interesting eye tiles, but I am not sure about what to say on the rest of the shot. Jake's looks kind of artificial, but interesting for gameplay purposes. I chose Dart Zaidyer because he the variety of grass tiles make the ground look natural, although the cliffs still look a bit cookie cutterish, if that is a word. It was a tough choice to make, considering they all have their plusses and minuses. Congratulations on all of you for the effort.

#6 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

I voted for Dart Zaidyer this week. he used my menu graphics, and a ripoff of my trees and heart graphics. it's rather bland, though, but I think it's the best overall. Hero Link's shot would come in a close second

#7 Dart Zaidyer

Dart Zaidyer

Mystic Beard of Truth

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:00 AM

Notes on my shot for this week:

The caption is supposed to read "When It's Done™". You too can type that symbol by holding ALT and entering 0153 on the number pad before letting go. Try it!

The status graphics from Gashin are used with permission. Those hearts are a custom job; I liked the ones from HF, but since he didn't want to release them, I came up with something new. I actually like these better.
The trees are different. I asked Radien, and he took the original Minish Cap tree, shrank it, and converted it to the DoR palette, after which adding them to my original Miniaturized LttP Tree tiles. You'll be seeing them in the DoR set.

As for the rest of this week's crop, I have to agree that the overall showing is more on the experimental side. It's more about what's on display than the amount of polish. For example, Tobias spelled "Vitreous" wrong. icon_wink.gif

#8 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:24 AM

Custom Bosses always get my vote. icon_drool.gif

#9 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

Well, just a quick note. What I do, so I know I get all the shots, is I have a folder, and I label that whatever SOTW it is, and inside, I made a folder for each persons shot, and caption. Inside that, is the shot, and notepad document which contains the caption. While I pasted it into notepad, it must've gotten rid of the special character, leaving a "?" in it's place. So, yeah. icon_sweat.gif

About my shot now. It was just something I put together from a tileset I'd like to use sometime soon, even though it's AoL. I didn't design it to be fancy, or awesome. Just seeing if I still had some design skills.

#10 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:13 AM

Hmm.. I voted for Tobias Daboi this week. His shot needed a little bit more detail for my liking but it was better than the others. Dart Zaidyer's shot was good, with some good custom tiles added too. However, the design in the screen made me turn away from it. There is nothing on the screen that makes me love it. I know you have make an awesome screen since you have the tiles for it. Maybe next time. Hero Link's is good with the AoL tiles, however, the design is okay, it would have been my second vote though. Finally Jake, this is the best picture I seen from Jake so far. The only problem with it is that the little trees take a lot from it. It is like you were going for a good design but those trees ruined it in my opinion.

#11 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

i nulled my vote

Dart Zaidyer
just plain scenery nuthin special really

Jake
green,really really green

Tobias Daboi
almost chose this but aside from the boss theres not a lotta eye candy here either

Hero Link
O.o wow even that looks cool in SOTW

#12 Naldrag

Naldrag

Certified Idiot

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:10 PM

I voted for Tobias Daboi, because of the fact he made a screenshot from a boss I like from LTTP. Yet annoying boss.

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Banned

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:45 PM

For example, Tobias spelled "Vitreous" wrong. icon_wink.gif

Dammit. I knew it didn't look quite right. Thanks for pointing this out.

I can't believe I'm actually doing well here... Vitreous is my second favorite AlttP boss (The first being Trinnex, level 7). I want to recreate the battle as accuratly as possible, so you will have to wait untill the expo icon_wink.gif

Keep in mind that ZC has it's limmets.

Thanks to all of those who liked my shot icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Tobias Daboi, 19 September 2005 - 05:00 PM.

#14 Comix

Comix

Hello.

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:50 PM

I voted for Dart Zaidyer because I liked his shot and his link. I have seen some of those sprites before, I don't know exactly where, but somehow I know I saw them before...

If I haven't just kick me lol,

Comix

#15 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

I voted for Tobias.
The tiles look nicely ripped and colored. And I don't recall seeing that boss in zquest before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users