Snow Combo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:22 AM

After a few days, and probably about 6 hours of my time devoted to one script, I have created a new combo (cue mad scientist laugh)

I'm going to do this good and proper at the expo with a video and all that, but I didn't want to wait until then to release it because I'm impatient.

So. What we get here is: a script which, when assigned to the screen via an ffc, and when given a combo type, plays a sound effect when Link walks on the given type, and leaves a trail of footprints which slowly fade away after a few seconds. So great for snow or fallen leaves, but also applicable to other things I'm sure if you're creative icon_razz.gif

It requires very minimal set-up aswell, which I'm quite pleased with.
First, you'll be needing some footprint tiles:
IPB Image
These should do nicely, Evan the Great gave me them, and they'll fit any tileset seeing as they're one colour and transparency. However, draw your own if you don't like them icon_razz.gif
The tiles must be ordered like that in the tilesheet. That is: an animation of up to 5 up-facing footprints, and then an animation of up to 5 left-facing footprints. If you want a shorter animation, put in blank tiles - don't just miss them out.

You'll also want a sound effect. You're on your own there; I have one but it's bad. If someone could find me a better one, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Snow Combo Script
Armageddon Games Network Script Showcase
Sorry to have to upload it to Filefront, it went over the character limit. If anyone has a better place I could put it, I'd be very grateful.
EDIT: And now it's also at the script showcase, where I could fit the script into one thread. Hope that helps anyone who wants to use it

So here is the script. I'm afraid it looks rather fearsome, and if anyone who knows Zscript better than me has a look at it and could shorten it, I'd be quite thankfull. It does, however, work very well. Don't be put off because it looks so long; it really isn't very hard to set up.

So once you've got those tiles in a row on your tilesheet, stick that script in your .z file, and then go to the top 6 lines of the script. There are four integers here, which I've labelled, which are the variables to make the script fit to how you want it.
The first one is the combo that you're sacrificing to make snow (don't worry, this is only applicable on screens with the FFC script put on them). There are a few dormant combos out there that people don't use too much; they aren't too hard to find. The default is combo type 12, which is the 'left statue' combo, but feel free to change that to how you want. To get a combos number, stick one on a screen and press 'Q' twice. That'll flag up it's attribute number. You also might want to use a slow walk combo for your snow (thanks Pheonix) although this means you couldn't have a ladder on the screen or anything, so you'll have to be careful.
The second integer is the number of the first tile in your 10x1 block of footprint animation.
The third integer is the Cset for your animation, and the fourth is the number of the sound effect you want to play.

And that should be about it really. I'm really rather pleased with this script, seeing as I started learning ZScript about 3 weeks ago.
I thought it'd be a lot simpler to write than this, however I'm pleased with the outcome, so I don't really care.

icon_thumbsup.gif

EDIT: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0keTaLikBX8
Please don't judge this on the screen, I know it's not very good, I threw it together for the video. And apparently it doesn't work while the sword is being charged, but I think this is to do with a ZC bug.

Edited by Joe123, 22 October 2007 - 04:49 AM.

#2 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:38 AM

Hey, pretty neat. Some footprints to boot. Nice work there joe. However downloading a script from filefront sucks balls. There are reasons why double posting is bad, this however, is not one of those reasons.

#3 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:42 AM

I know filefront sucks balls. But the script is too long for one post... I don't want to split it between posts, this would be bad. I need an alternate way of doing it; or a mod to merge the posts or a better place to host it or something.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:02 AM

Dang, if it's that much of a problem, I have a better alternative: let me host it. icon_razz.gif If it's just a text file, I doubt it could be that bad, even if it's a script.

I wish I could try out this script right now, but I'm still waiting on a stable ZC beta. Emphasis on the word "beta." It doesn't have to be a full release, just stable, and not a build.

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

oo yes, if you could host it for me that'd be great, it is just a txt file. And it should work in anything past b16 I think however, I'm using 584. Seems stable enough for my purposes.

And I think I'll get the video that I was going to make to show it off with up soonish, but I'm doing that tree at the moment.

EDIT: Added the video to the first post

Edited by Joe123, 21 October 2007 - 09:09 AM.

#6 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

Are the combo type's attributes still taking place? If so, then we just got one of the most awsome scripts out there. If not... who cares? We can still have semi-realistic snow in our quests!

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

Yes, you can still use the combo. However, who really uses Left and Right Statue combos anyway?
I wouldn't advise trying to use it on a screen with snow though; I turned on 'statues shoot fire' on my example screen just for a joke. It was rather enterntaining watching the whole of the floor suddenly attack Link icon_razz.gif

Maybe I should post another video of how not to use the snow. he he he

#8 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

I'm not going to use Left Statue combos. I'm using Slow Walk combos for my snow.

#9 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

Ahh, that's not a bad idea actually. I'll put it in the explanation at the top icon_wink.gif

Strange how I didn't think of that really.

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

Cool script... sucky tiles icon_frown.gif Sorry, they're just way too black and when Link walks left/right the footprints come out of his head icon_confused.gif

... but cool script. I remember oceansoul22 (long lost member icon_razz.gif) writing a Zelda game in C that had this (scripting wasn't in ZC yet)... except he was walking in sand icon_wink.gif

EDIT: Also, noticed the snow combos don't work when you're charging up a spin attack...

Edited by NoeL, 21 October 2007 - 09:31 AM.

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

Did you want to draw some better ones? icon_razz.gif

And this would work fine in sand also icon_biggrin.gif I did say in the first post, it's also applicable to other things.

And I noticed that, I showed it on purpose. I'm not sure why it is; theoretically it should work while charging up the sword, because all the script does is check whether Link is on the specified combo type, then applies the effects. I think it might be a bug more so to do with sword charging than the script, although I could be wrong.

#12 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

I'm going to do this good and proper at the expo with a video and all that

Oh God. Northern talk. icon_razz.gif

I think t' snor comba's realli gud, an' marebi yu'v got sum skill in scriptin' an' that.

Translation: I think that your snow combos are really good, and while you're not all the way there yet, you have a lot of skill in the scripting area. icon_biggrin.gif

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:37 AM

Northern?
Birmingham was in the middle last time I checked icon_razz.gif

What's not all the way there yet? I'd like to know if it's not working properly or anything.

#14 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:42 AM

No, I meant that you were good with scripts, and even though you're not the best, you're slowly improving every time.

#15 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

Sweet script and video.
Do you thik you could make it so its not just that one foot print set?
The foot prints don't look like the one-after-another effect like in the real world.
In the real world, if we were to make a foot print set like that, we'd have to jump around in the snow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users