Ocarina songs

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

This would be amazing, And not just for anyone specific, but someone could make an ocarina script. if a mock ocarina item with custom itemclass is made, then you could use that so that when it's activated up, down, left, right and a (assuming it's assigned to b) could be used to play. Then certain sequences of buttons (that could be edited by the user of the script hopefully) could trigger certain things. For instance, <^><^> could trigger whistle flags like a normal whistle. (THat's Zelda's Lullaby btw). Sound effects could be played for each one. I'm pretty sure this is possible.

I know everyone would want this script if someone made it. Ocarina songs would jsut about be the best thing for Zelda Classic ever.

#2 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

It's been done. I don't know where the topic is. It should only be a few pages in or in the scripting showcase.

#3 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

It's not done.

#4 LJ Bad

LJ Bad

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

It's sorta done. There's a script to play music by pressing buttons, if I recall correctly. But the script doesn't include the ability to activate anything depending on what you play. It just makes noises.

#5 LordOPie

LordOPie

Initiate

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Right here.

But like what has already been said, it can only play notes, and will not activate secrets. icon_frown.gif

Don't know how hard it will be to edit it so it can, maybe Gleeok will if he feels like it.

#6 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

That isn't exactly what I meant. I meant for it to be easy to play and only have the 5 original notes. It doesn't matter if you have to come up to something because that'd be easy to change to an item instead. And to basically just do any kind of scripting when songs are played

#7 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

Yeah, that script is purely for auditory aesthetic or diversionary gimmicky purposes. You know, just for fun. It was meant to be used for attaching to a organ or piano combo in houses/ towns and such to give them a little more interactive flavor. I won't be adding in 'songs' any time soon. If I do, it will be the "sorry this doesn't trigger secrets" fugue in G minor. ^_^

#8 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

I could've sworn that Joe123 made a playable ocarina that at least did Epona's song. Ah well...

#9 LordOPie

LordOPie

Initiate

• Members

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

No, he just made it so when you played the ocarina it summoned Epona. You couldn't actually play notes on it.

#10 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

I'm not sure if this would work, but each note is assigned a number.

Everytime you play a note, it multiplies by the previous note, 0 to start and that is added to the most recent of 9 totals.

Each time they move down one before playing the note.

The first of the nine is not counted but is used because it can be subtracted from each consecutive total to find the total of the eight notes.

The most recent notes that are as long as each song are checked, after subtracting the preceding total multiplied by the number of notes in the song.

if one of 6 different totals come up (1 for each preceding note, and 1 for nothing), then the song is played. Correct me if I'm wrong but each song should be individual, because it multiplies primes and adds them.

#11 Elmensajero

Elmensajero

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

I don't think I completely understand what you are saying, but I am pretty sure that won't work. Correct me if I am wrong, but you are saying assign a prime number to each of the 5 possible notes, correct? And each time you play a note, you multiply the prime number matching that note to a running total, which would make songs unique? Well, let's say that left = 2, up = 3, and right = 5. Would Zelda's Lullaby and Epona's Song be unique totals? The first would be left, up, right, left, up, right. This equals 2*3*5*2*3*5 = 900. The second would be up, left, right, up, left, right. This equals 3*2*5*3*2*5 = 900. When 2 songs have the same notes but in a different order, there is no way to tell the difference between them.

Perhaps I just misunderstood the algorithm you described, but a much better way in my opinion would be to use arrays to store notes, and just compare the notes played array with the true song array to see if the song has been played correctly. I was actually working on creating "a library" where it is simple for a person to add any song they want, and then all they would have to do is write a function to be executed when that song is played correctly. I haven't looked at it in about a week, maybe I will post what I did so far later so someone else can get some ideas from it / modify it for their own purposes / etc.

#12 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

Making an algorithm that remembers 8 notes and checks them against known songs really wouldn't be that hard... The problem is activating the correct secrets...

Which gives me an idea.

Each song is an array. In every screen, you would reserve an FFC for "Secret Combo data." This FFC sets a few things- what song activates it, what flag type to replace, which combo replaces these, etc.

When a song match is detected in the global ocarina playing script, the ocarina repeats the song, (like in OoT, MM, and WW) stops playing, and passes the song number to the FFC script, which will react if it is the appropriate song.

#13 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

Actually, what I meant was multiplying each note by the previous one.

#14 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

It's a decent idea, except it doesn't maintain order- It would treat the Song of Healing exactly the same as Saria's Song.

#15 L33TSkillz

L33TSkillz

Junior

• Members

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Oh, oops, didn't think it did that. I must have made a mistake while checking.

It only does taht for repeating songs, and songs that start and end with teh same letter.

EDIT: Fixed the song of healing/saria's song thing. If no button is played before, it's multiplied by 1, not 0. So now they would differ by 4

Edited by L33TSkillz, 27 June 2009 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users