• Please log in to reply
4954 replies to this topic

#4006 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

zelda061.png

I'm slowly creeping into the Desert of Mystery, which is looking less like a desert these days.

I'll talk a little bit about what my plans are for this demo quest.

The welands area on the right has gotten a lot wetter, and the island is the new home of Level 1, despite the fact that, if this were a perfect transition, Level 1 ought to be where the Witch's hut would be. I just decided that it'd probably be for the best if the first dungeon was on the first overworld map to avoid making it a slog in finding the first dungeon.

On this part of the map I want to have Level 1 and Level 3 here, as well as 8 heart container pieces, 4 shops, a fairy spring, and a couple of 30 rupee hiding moblins, and one secret item I'll not reveal.

There are 16 secret items in all, though, and finding them all will unlock one of two hidden dungeons. Each of the hidden dungeons has two prizes you can earn based on a certain condition. I'll not reveal this condition, nor the prizes. Once you step foot in one of the hidden dungeons, the other one remains permanently locked. Once you meet the condition to enter the second hidden dungeon, and if you haven't stepped foot into the first, then the first permanently locks.

Heart container pieces will likely be hidden in areas where LTTP dungeons used to be. HCPs on the overworld replace the old "take any one you want" npcs, and what used to be heart containers.

For the tileset, my plans include having BS analogs for LTTP stuff. Which will be difficult because BS Zelda's art style is not wholly compatible with LTTP, which means I have to redraw a lot of content to fit the new art style.

As I've stated already, a lot of new content in Thunderbird is actually up-detailed Koten tileset art. This probably also won't change, neither.

Edited by Alestance, 24 April 2017 - 10:52 AM.

• Moonbread, Eddy, Sheik and 2 others like this

#4007 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

Very nice Alestance! Loving the overall look and everything, stoked to see some more. Also, I am wondering which tiles you will end up using for the castle.

#4008 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:26 PM

Looks very nice, it's coming along great

#4009 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

Made some screens in my Quest Project, "Serenus Island".

#4010 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

Finished up the last bit of decoration and enemy placement for Lon Lon Ranch. Added in the first bits of lore on Byrna, through journal entries, while also eluding to the idea that journal entries will be spread across the world to be discovered throughout all of Hyrule.

Hmmm, a quest log, and collection of journal entries screen would be a nice thing to have.

But at least for now there is something to work with. And it will be a bit easier to fill the world with secrets this way.

Currently finishing up the last bits of Hyrule Field so I can start on the Lost Woods, Skull Woods, and considering how to make a Cane of Pacci and Cane of Somaria.

Which will be a really easy task if I can just set up triggers in the correct way.

#4011 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

reorganized.png

Mostly doing dirty work now. I decided I wanted to unify the dungeon/overworld palette structure so that a majority of overworld tiles could be used in a dungeon, and vice-versa.

zelda064.png

I didn't recolor all the dungeon tiles to fit yet, but I'm working on it.

• ShadowTiger, Sheik and Naru like this

#4012 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

reorganized.png

Mostly doing dirty work now. I decided I wanted to unify the dungeon/overworld palette structure so that a majority of overworld tiles could be used in a dungeon, and vice-versa.

zelda064.png

I didn't recolor all the dungeon tiles to fit yet, but I'm working on it.

That would make for a very nice loose tile submission, too. I bet there are more people who could use this.

#4013 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

That would make for a very nice loose tile submission, too. I bet there are more people who could use this.

I don't think so, none of this stuff is going to be backwards compatible with any variant of the BS Zelda tileset.

I'm gearing up to begin doing the first dungeon. But I'm going to need a master scriptsman to help me out with something when I finish it. My goal is to reprogram the bosses a bit so their behaviors are more in line with their Oracles' counterparts.

Edited by Alestance, 25 April 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#4014 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

I don't think so, none of this stuff is going to be backwards compatible with any variant of the BS Zelda tileset.

Oh, is that to say that your overwold palettes use a different setup than the BS tileset does?

#4015 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

D7Fl0aq.png

Slightly. But enough so that it'd throw a wrench in conversions. Aside from the palette looking a lot nicer in general, I made sure that all the colors, except the water colors, blend perfectly with the dirt colors. So, the lightest shade of grass is the lightest dirt shade. The mountains blend into the dirt color. The tree bark blends in with the dirt color. The gray-tone is colored in a way that the lightest shade of dirt can be used as its' lightest shade, and the darkest shade of tree bark works for its' darkest shade.. And so on. Basically increasing the amount of shades you can have without having it be too unwieldy (like in 8-bit color). I've used 8-bit colors a few times for tiles, but my goal is to try and avoid it as much as possible.

That said, some decisions I made to make the palette structure facilitate this goal has made it somewhat backwards-incompatible with other BS sets.

Edited by Alestance, 25 April 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#4016 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

Created the beginnings of a party system, where those included in your group follow you around. A severe work in progress, but here's a screen shot of it in action.

s60XV7J.png

• Binx and Matthew like this

#4017 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

Created the beginnings of a party system, where those included in your group follow you around. A severe work in progress, but here's a screen shot of it in action.

s60XV7J.png

Good luck, party systems are a nightmare to code.

• ywkls likes this

#4018 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

Set up a custom not so great Skull Kid tile as the icon that indicates when you can interact with an NPC or other random things.

Fixed one bug where you could get stuck in the first dungeon. Tested everything else out. Realized I want a shortcut in the area where the boss key is. So I'm gonna set that up.

Have my sideview area working as it should even.

Created the first 8 or so screens for the Lost Woods.

Set up the first three drop down points for entering Skull Woods. Set up a few exit points for Skull Woods. Have a couple shortcut exits ready to be connected.

And came up with a gimmick idea for Skull Woods.
  • Shane and Lüt like this

#4019 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

Well gee, you've been busy.

#4020 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

Well gee, you've been busy.

Yeaahhhhh. Since then I have also now completed the overall structure of the Lost Woods and created several entrances to the beloe Skull Woods.

There's still a ton of detail I need to add to Lost Woods itself. Largely water. Cause I want some ponds and streams flowing throughout the area. I alao find that it's much simpler to design when you have some designs already on the screen.
  • Shane likes this

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users