Metroid Origins: Version 3.0-Help/Bug Reports

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#121 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

so how exactly does the charge shot work? is there a set amount of time you have to hold it down before its considered charged?

It would be easier to tell if the shots thickened like they do in super metroid, but i dont think thats something that could be done in zc.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#122 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

so how exactly does the charge shot work? is there a set amount of time you have to hold it down before its considered charged?

It would be easier to tell if the shots thickened like they do in super metroid, but i dont think thats something that could be done in zc.

Yeah, it's a bit inconsistent on how it behaves at the moment. It's supposed to make a different sound, but I never got around to finding one for that purpose or adding in the code where it did. (I had a hard enough time with other parts of that script.)

I'm also torn between making it where the charge shot fires as soon as you release or when you press the button again. This is mostly due to how things work as you cross screens, since the ffc generating the charged shot ceases to exist for a bit when you do that.

#123 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

Luckily I was finished with the testing...but my ZC sav file just corrupted the other day. Any possible known way of restoring it? Or do I really have to delete it. There's several quests I put a LOT of time into on this data.

It says it found the data, but could not open it. Try rebooting...and if problem persists...it needs to be deleted. This means starting all in progress quests over again. I haven't had this issue since 2.5.0, so I hoped there was a fix for this now.

#124 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

It happened to me once and I was forced to restart all of my quests. 

idk what your case was, but for me, it happened when ZC refused to close, and i force closed it.

It's definitely a sucky thing to happen and if theres a solution, I wish I had found it sooner

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#125 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

It happened to me once and I was forced to restart all of my quests. 

idk what your case was, but for me, it happened when ZC refused to close, and i force closed it.

It's definitely a sucky thing to happen and if theres a solution, I wish I had found it sooner

That's the most common cause of the Zc.sav corrupting (or your computer crashing/being forced to restart).

I would recommend periodically creating a backup Zc.sav in the future.

As for fixing it, one of the developers on AGN might be able to do that (you'll have to link them a copy of the file) but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#126 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

I played 2.5.0 for a few years on a gateway desktop with Windows. Never had this issue before. The motherboard crashed...and I bought a cheap Toshiba with Windows 7 (now upgraded to 10). With that Laptop, I had this issue three times. I looked into possible causes...and realized that when you close ZC, the program is writing final changes...or rather updating the ZC sav file. It isn't changed prior to closing ZC. with .0, the window closes immediately...and I tended to shut down, or at least close the laptop and put it in standby...not realizing it was doing this.

.1 and .2....the window pauses for awhile before closing. I assume then with these versions...it finishes the writing before actually closing the program window. This makes more sense...and I never had the issue again until the other day. This is another two, maybe three years at least. (And I even tend to close the laptop while its still running during play. Bad habit I know. Maybe the desktop had no issues because there is no 'quick standby' mode by simply folding the computer...so the program must finish writing before shutting down or responding)

Ultimately...it seems this issue only happens if the computer stops, or there is interference...while its still writing the final changes upon closing. Even shutting down while its running...didn't cause it to happen (since the computer must properly close programs before shutting down, unless forced). I'm sharing this to help prevent this from happening to you two again. BTW...the backup .sav file is a great idea. I also suspect that the later versions do periodic writes instead of only at closing...since I've had the computer crash before while ZC was running...but didn't have to backtrack thru the previous play. It was still current.

What happened the other day was...the screen became dark. Normally a reboot fixes this. So I closed ZC, or so I thought....and rebooted. After that...the save data was destroyed...Windows 10 was....and possibly still is due for a system update any time now. Maybe it happened then...but the reboot was awful fast for that. At the same time though...a number of my Steam games is requiring re installation....so I'm not sure.

That's all my information. Unrelated to the topic..but I felt I should share this. 

#127 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

I also suspect that the later versions do periodic writes instead of only at closing...since I've had the computer crash before while ZC was running...but didn't have to backtrack thru the previous play. It was still current.

The ZC.sav file will be current up to the last point you saved your game. When the computer crashes after a save (but not immediately after, or during) it should be fine.

What happened the other day was...the screen became dark. Normally a reboot fixes this. So I closed ZC, or so I thought....and rebooted. After that...the save data was destroyed...Windows 10 was....and possibly still is due for a system update any time now. Maybe it happened then...but the reboot was awful fast for that. At the same time though...a number of my Steam games is requiring re installation....so I'm not sure.

One person suggested this explanation whenever I recently had a crash and a file that got corrupted. Whenever something like that happens with Windows, the most recently edited files can get flagged by the system somehow and a few bits of their data corrupted as a result.

I was able to get help at AGN to fix my file, but it was a .qst file rather than ZC.sav

There may be something else at work here as well, however; since those other files were affected. One of the things I've started doing since that crash was making an alternate backup of my .qst file every time I save. That way, I'm never too far behind.

Oh, and the file which was temporarily corrupted? It was my Metroid 3 (ZC Remake). I'm just now getting back to about where I was prior to the loss.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#128 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:25 AM

https://youtu.be/1fVDo2hZIQE

I finished the playthrough and split it into 4 more parts. 

the last 3 are being uploaded now and will be posted asap

edit: the last 3 videos are up and i put the whole series into a playlist. Kinda sad thats its over but it had to be done.

Edited by chocobothief12, 10 July 2017 - 04:36 AM.

• ywkls and Epsalon ZX like this

#129 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

Kinda sad thats its over but it had to be done.

Awesome. I'll have to watch that now. Did you do the latest build, where the spider is only vulnerable with Spazer?

I'm thinking that this has been tested enough to replace the database version now, since it has been a while since any new bugs have been reported.

I'm probably going to hold off on further enhancements like the Datalog subscreen and such for the foreseeable future because I have other projects I need to work on and get to a functional status.

Of course, it is fairly likely that once it is released; more bugs may be found. But that is the way of things.

#130 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Awesome. I'll have to watch that now. Did you do the latest build, where the spider is only vulnerable with Spazer?

ya I even mention the recent change in one of the videos

• ywkls likes this

#131 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

I agree its been tested enough for release. Any further bugs can be found by the other players. I'm sure they'll point them out. (One thing though...did you add save points to the Ice World?)

This update was a great improvement then the original. I enjoyed it a lot more, and it feels like a much fuller experience. I'm happy I could help again. Keep me posted on things. 

• ywkls likes this

#132 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

I agree its been tested enough for release. Any further bugs can be found by the other players. I'm sure they'll point them out. (One thing though...did you add save points to the Ice World?)

This update was a great improvement then the original. I enjoyed it a lot more, and it feels like a much fuller experience. I'm happy I could help again. Keep me posted on things. 

No, I have not added save points to the ice World. (Mostly because I couldn't decide on a good place to put them.)

For most of the ship, one half is locked off from the other so putting a save there wouldn't make too much sense. And there aren't a lot of empty rooms to use in the ice area itself.

One thing I was considering was making a boss vulnerable to the Plasma Beam (like the spider was to the spazer). Any thoughts on which to adjust in this way?

@chocobothief12- I finished watching the videos and I have some explanations for the strange things that you experienced.

Part 4- getting stuck in the floor was something that wasn't intended, but normally you can jump out. However, since you were at the edge of the screen; this wasn't possible. I've edited that area to give a one-tile space extra at the bottom so a player can jump out if they get stuck that way.

Part 5- that combo that was solid in Triaxis room wasn't you breaking the game, it was me forgetting to check solidity after making the room larger than other boss areas.

Also, the Eye of Fate was apparently set up incorrectly, where one side was shielded; which was why some shots were not hitting.

Thirdly, I think I know what was causing the slowdown with the Plasma Beam. I've altered the code slightly, so somebody can test it and see if it still causes slowdown.

Part 6- the door thing was caused by trying to go through it while it was opening. All I could do to prevent that would be to make them solid until fully open. I don't know what issues you've had with the computer core, but I'm glad to see they didn't appear this time.

I also noted in that part that the Regenerator only restored to your current level of energy tanks, so I'll have to look at the code and see why that is.

And one area had a name which was too long, That's changed now.

Part 7- The error with the items not appearing when Mother Brain died is probably due to the revised version of the script I made for that region. I'll have to examine it more carefully.

Also, the switch apparently unsetting was due to how carryover secrets works. That should be fixed now.

Once these matters have been dealt with (and perhaps after adding a save to the ice area) and confirmed to be fixed, I'll go ahead with the official release of this new version.

Edited by ywkls, 11 July 2017 - 09:53 AM.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#133 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

The Alpha Skree boss area needs the save point the most. Mainly because of how much of a pain it is to reach that warp...and the fact the boss is difficult to beat. (I don't count the fact the attacks are easy to dodge. A few missteps and you're dead. That boss also has a lot of health. There isn't energy enough powerups by now to make that boss easy, or at least survivable, and the enemies reaching him are kinda tip toey too.)

Its also a bit of balancing...the other three worlds have saves everywhere...yet this world doesn't even have one. I'd associate one save to each warp...and one in the later areas of the ship...prior to computer core. Don't go to too much trouble for this...I can see you're already struggling...but the Shinespark warp seriously needs one somewhere...

Edited by Epsalon ZX, 11 July 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#134 chocobothief12

chocobothief12

Junior

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

The issue I had with the computer boss was that every now and then upon entering the room, it would be completely invulnerable to damage from the intended missile type. I think it happened whenever id play through the game without resetting up to a certain point.

I noticed the thing with the regenerator and it threw me off into thinking I missed one of my E tank pick ups, but refilling at the ship told me otherwise.

I have no idea why that happened with the eye boss. Before I started recording the 4th part, I did a full continued playthrough from where my save left off, and once I got to the eye I had no problems attacking it from either side.

Its good to know that I wasnt completely breaking the game. 

Did I at least do an acceptable job on the series? I'm not the greatest let's player but I tried my best to show off as much as I could.

#135 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

The Alpha Skree boss area needs the save point the most. Mainly because of how much of a pain it is to reach that warp...and the fact the boss is difficult to beat. (I don't count the fact the attacks are easy to dodge. A few missteps and you're dead. That boss also has a lot of health. There isn't energy enough powerups by now to make that boss easy, or at least survivable, and the enemies reaching him are kinda tip toey too.)

Its also a bit of balancing...the other three worlds have saves everywhere...yet this world doesn't even have one. I'd associate one save to each warp...and one in the later areas of the ship...prior to computer core. Don't go to too much trouble for this...I can see you're already struggling...but the Shinespark warp seriously needs one somewhere...

There's a few relatively empty screens on the way to the Alpha Skree. One of them could be changed to a Save Point easily without negatively impacting the game.

The issue I had with the computer boss was that every now and then upon entering the room, it would be completely invulnerable to damage from the intended missile type. I think it happened whenever id play through the game without resetting up to a certain point.

Actually, this appears to be another case of the same bug that hit Eye of Fate; namely its internal enemy editor settings being set up incorrectly where it was shielded on one side. That should be fixed with the next update, which I'll hold off on until I can fix the Regenerator code.

Did I at least do an acceptable job on the series? I'm not the greatest let's player but I tried my best to show off as much as I could.

The only complaint that I really had is that for whatever reason, the volume on the microphone that recorded your voice was really low and so I had to turn up the sound a lot louder than normal to hear you. Otherwise, you did a great job.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users