226 replies to this topic

#31 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:56 AM

I think the sprites mostly look good! Here's the criticism I would give:
-On the side sprites where she's charging up, the white spot under her arm is too low down for her scarf to be, and it's not really in a spot where there would naturally be highlights. I think those pixels should probably just be green, with her scarf not being visible at all.
-I'm not totally clear what the front sprite where she has both of her hands in front of her is for?
-If you're using the normal GBC game shield sprites, then the small shield she's holding at an angle looks good...but if you're using the smaller rounded shield I included in the sprite, then those same angle frames make it look too rectangular. (I will say that the main reason I used the custom shield sprites at all was because in a ZC game, she'll always use those sprites by default once she gets the shields, and I went "wtf no I just drew this, I'm not covering that much of her up for most of the game." If you're using GBC-style shields where they're only out when she equips them, then I don't think that matters. Although you might as well still use the mirror shield or some edit along those lines because the GBC mirror shield doesn't have its own sprite, and because ZC isn't going to stop you and tell you you can't have blue there.)

Here are the angled shield sprites I did for the one frame when I tried making them. (Note that there's some shading for her foot included for the L2 and L3 shields, obviously you wouldn't want to have that in frames where her foot isn't in that spot.)
012_glinneback.png

I might try the GBC-style holding-a-shield-in-front-of-you frames later, but I don't want to pin down an exact timeframe on this.

• Demonlink likes this

#32 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:35 AM

I think the sprites mostly look good! Here's the criticism I would give:
-On the side sprites where she's charging up, the white spot under her arm is too low down for her scarf to be, and it's not really in a spot where there would naturally be highlights. I think those pixels should probably just be green, with her scarf not being visible at all.
-I'm not totally clear what the front sprite where she has both of her hands in front of her is for?
-If you're using the normal GBC game shield sprites, then the small shield she's holding at an angle looks good...but if you're using the smaller rounded shield I included in the sprite, then those same angle frames make it look too rectangular. (I will say that the main reason I used the custom shield sprites at all was because in a ZC game, she'll always use those sprites by default once she gets the shields, and I went "wtf no I just drew this, I'm not covering that much of her up for most of the game." If you're using GBC-style shields where they're only out when she equips them, then I don't think that matters. Although you might as well still use the mirror shield or some edit along those lines because the GBC mirror shield doesn't have its own sprite, and because ZC isn't going to stop you and tell you you can't have blue there.)

Here are the angled shield sprites I did for the one frame when I tried making them. (Note that there's some shading for her foot included for the L2 and L3 shields, obviously you wouldn't want to have that in frames where her foot isn't in that spot.)
unknown.png

I might try the GBC-style holding-a-shield-in-front-of-you frames later, but I don't want to pin down an exact timeframe on this.

I think the sprite you're mentioning is the one where she is facing down while charging the sword, the one you said where she has both of her hands out.

Those side sprites look much better! I'll try to work on the set for it to be more complete.

And don't worry about the holding down shield sprites, I'd be glad if you could draw them some time later. :D

Once again, thank you so much for making this awesome set!!

#33 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:05 PM

mm8oJ04.png

I think these look good enough (for me at least  :awesome: ). What do you think @Ether?

Note: Arrangement of each set is: first row are the walking tiles, second row are the slash/hammer/stab sprites in that order. Third row are the charging sword sprites and the fourth are the holding shield poses.

#34 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:36 PM

I think some of the scarf-too-low sprites are still in there. A bunch of these frames look like she's holding the shield in her hand instead of having it strapped to her arm--if you're seeing the white of her hand, then there shouldn't be a shield on the end of it. I'd also recommend, when you're seeing just the thinnest part of the shield, to make the outline more like a tall D than a tall 0, if that makes sense. Um...a few of the angle shots don't seem to get the shape quite right. (I...think you can probably get away with copy/pasting the angle shot shields I experimented with, but I haven't tested this.) Um...the shots where she's facing left and holding the shield up look weird, there's a large block of black pixels on her body that make it look like she's wearing a skeleton costume. Her facing-north spin attack looks odd with the shield, like an eye--I would use either blue or black for that pixel.

Uh, this ran long, hopefully it's not too vague with which details it's referring to. I do think these are pretty minor details that you can get away with ignoring, they're not super glaring and I had to zoom in to form most of these opinions.

I'm still in the early stages of the zora sheet...I've been a little more preoccupied with other things than I was last time, and I've also been wrestling a lot more with how I want this character to look and how to keep her consistent across different frames. I think I'll probably wind up releasing two different versions, then I can fully embrace the bluejay motif I had going on initially and also have a whiter zora with giant bulging fish eyes that's a bit more in line with how Oracle zora actually look. I've been putting off the giant bulging fish-eyes plunge and trying to straddle the line for too long.

Edited by Ether, 11 April 2021 - 09:44 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#35 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

I've been fighting these sprites every step of the way and I'm still not perfectly happy with them, but here's a start:

013_ezorasheet1.png

014_zorasheet1.png

I'll probably put off shields until the very end this time, since I'm likely to keep poking at the zora part of the sprites up through the last minute, and at that point I figure I can trivially recycle the shields from last time. I don't think I'm going to bother with pulling/carrying unless someone specifically asks for it, and undecided on emotions...other frames, like hammering, jumping, falling, block-pushing and item pickups, I do intend to try for.

• Mitchfork, Demonlink and Matthew like this

#36 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:10 AM

These Zora sprites are really good! The swimming sprites are especially super cute - never really considered that a Zora swimming above the water would just look like a fish haha.

I have a request for the heroine set.  We use these sitting tiles for save points in our quest - any chance there could be some equivalent tiles for her? That would let us do some character replacement stuff.  Keep up the good work otherwise.

wCDx4K3.png

7Mfjjcq.png

#37 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:17 AM

Sure. Should I try to emulate those specific Link frames, or does her existing sitting-facing-forward sprite work as a start?

#38 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:20 AM

Feel free not to emulate them exactly - the existing forward sitting tile is perfect for this.

#39 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

I've been fighting these sprites every step of the way and I'm still not perfectly happy with them, but here's a start:

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'll probably put off shields until the very end this time, since I'm likely to keep poking at the zora part of the sprites up through the last minute, and at that point I figure I can trivially recycle the shields from last time. I don't think I'm going to bother with pulling/carrying unless someone specifically asks for it, and undecided on emotions...other frames, like hammering, jumping, falling, block-pushing and item pickups, I do intend to try for.

Hey don't be hard on yourself i likes the sprites of the zora :) especially the sprite of the zora girl. It may not perfect like you wanted to but hey at least you tried :) like i said earler i could try to help you if you wants to.

#40 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:38 PM

You're welcome to give it a shot! I'd be holding you to the same standards as I hold myself, though. Also who says they aren't both zora girls?

057_zorasheet4.png  015_zorasheet2.png

As for the sitting sprites:

016_glinnesitting.png

• Mitchfork and Sheik like this

#41 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:13 AM

OKAY IT'S DONE SORT OF

017_ezorasheet2.png  018_zorasheet3.png

Shields, hammer attacks, and a bunch of swimming underwater/attacking-while-swimming-underwater frames got added. I also changed the white one a fair amount, mostly in subtle ways. I think this is probably all the poses I really needed to cover. I'm still not reeeeeally totally happy, but this might just be what happens when you try to make a GIANT BULGING FISH-EYES character?

There's at least one more thing I sort of want to do before a database release.

EDIT: also it was a few days ago, but I updated the Heroine's spritesheet to add those extra sitting sprites. The versions on that sheet are a little different from the ones that got posted here.

Edited by Ether, 26 February 2024 - 10:27 PM.

• Demonlink and Matthew like this

#42 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:10 PM

Aaaaaaaaaand it's on the database. (A few frames got changed: mostly swimming/slashing underwater, and the first frame of the upward side slash.)

I also threw in a third sheet with some zora NPCs, since it's a little unfortunate that only one zora sprite + the old man + the king exist. Some of them look a bit goofy, but I figure quantity is its own kind of quality when it comes to this sort of thing.

Edited by Ether, 23 April 2021 - 11:38 AM.

#43 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 06 May 2021 - 11:03 PM

019_curserips.png

This is all from Rolan's Curse 2. I'm going to leave it here for now. Eventually I want to give large parts of it the same treatment I just gave Ninja Taro, buuuuuut I just did that and sort of want to do other things right now instead. In the meantime, a lot of the overworld tiles seem really nice already, and it feels wrong not to share them. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see polished when I get to it, well, this is the thread.

The mechanical face boss is my favorite.

• Demonlink and Matthew like this

#44 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:19 AM

The Ninja Taro set is super good. Thanks for providing all these assets! :)

#45 Valerie

Valerie

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:31 PM

unknown.png

This is all from Rolan's Curse 2. I'm going to leave it here for now. Eventually I want to give large parts of it the same treatment I just gave Ninja Taro, buuuuuut I just did that and sort of want to do other things right now instead. In the meantime, a lot of the overworld tiles seem really nice already, and it feels wrong not to share them. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see polished when I get to it, well, this is the thread.

The mechanical face boss is my favorite.

https://www.purezc.n...les&id=1472
I found some of those tiles in the database awhile ago and liked the way they looked, I tried to find more of them online, but couldn't. It's cool that you posted these here, I think they will work well in ZC. :)

Edited by Valerie, 07 May 2021 - 03:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users