Photo

Screenshot of the Week 59

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:13 PM

And the nominees are...

PolygonX8
user posted image
Samus tries to look through the wall with the X-Ray Scope, but fails.

Radien
user posted image
After finishing her shopping at Hyrule Castle, Serenia proceeds to trek out into the Field.

LinktheMaster
user posted image
Link beats desperately on the doors of Hyrule Castle, pleading the castle guards to let him in from the storm.

BH4
user posted image
Link decides to play postman in this joke submission.

link3505
user posted image
A new shot from my Link's Awakening + tileset, which will be included in the DX tileset

mjctraider
user posted image

StarFox
user posted image

Edit by BH4: You keep forgetting people's subtitle.

Edited by BH4, 30 June 2004 - 06:28 AM.

#2 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:26 PM

aw shoot, I was hoping this'd be put up tomorrow, I made an update to my screenshot. ah well, maybe next time icon_shrug.gif

I must say, I'm majorly impressed with all entries this week. great stuff guys icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 HydraPheetz

HydraPheetz

pwhoar

• Members

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:38 PM

Dude, link3505, those trees are the pwnage!

#4 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:06 AM

Hmm..

Polygon: Interesting shot. I really need to play the demo of this quest..

Radien: That drawbridge = PWNAGE. The rest of the shot is rather simple, using basic pure tiles, and the screen as a whole needs some more stuff but, that drawbridge is just... Wow. Great job.

LinktheMaster: Great tiles there, man. Although, I am a little bit confused how fire and rain can exist in the same shot.. icon_blink.gif

BH4: Well, it's funny... But, nothing major going on. icon_shrug.gif

link3505: I am in LOVE with those trees. They are just beautiful. Seeing them makes me want to make a forest using them. Great job on those trees, and on the DX+ tileset in general.

mjctraider: First time I've ever seen anything from you. I must say.. This shot shows alot of promise. I look forward to seeing what sorts of goodies you give us in the future.

StarFox: Well, that's... very classic. Um.. Not at all what I was expecting when I saw your name in the entries.

I'm giving my vote to link3505. The trees, the tiles, the palette! So lovely. icon_love.gif

#5 Fox

Fox

Will the Hero rise again?

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:09 AM

My shot will rule them all. Praethus was supposed to put that this is the new Forgotten Memories tileset and that I'd scrapped the old one, but I forgot to remind him, and it's been about two weeks. In any case, my shot will single-handedly destroy the competition this week and during SotM. It's the ultimate ZC screen.

Okay, maybe not. I made this... about two years ago, before I knew there were any other custom quests. So yeah, it's outdated. I just wanted to submit a shot. ^_^

I'll just take the opportunity to advertise by telling you all that anyone who wants this quest can have it free just by asking! If you like classic quests that have a few unique ideas, this one's for you!

Now it's shot critiquing time!

PolygonX8: I like the Metroid rocks, but because you made it a JPEG, I can't clearly see any of the sprites. In any case, I'm not so sure about those Zelda trees and grass in a Metroid quest. Looks a bit out of place. I like the items on the top, though. In fact, I like that entire top.

Radien: Very nice drawbridge. And you say you're not an artist... I also like the cliffs. The top and bottom of the screen - wall and grass, respectively - don't WOW quite as much, however. The wall look repetative, and the grass somehow doesn't complement the drawbridge right. It's worth mentioning again, though - I really like the drawbridge.

LinkTheMaster: Those are some great torches and a good wall. It even goes diagonal. If it were me, I'd make the wall a bit thicker. Right now, it's pretty thin. I might also give it a little shading.

BH4: I like the character drawing. I think the trees are a bit too compacted together.. try to leave a few holes in there. I'm not really sure why there's a squirrel in the mailbox, but then again, it doesn't look like Link can figure it out, either.

Link3505: First off, I really like the trees, and even that some trees have different shades. I've never been a big fan of the uber-bright gameboy colors, though. The brightness and the contrast between your tree colors make it look almost plastic. I must say, though, they really fit the gameboy style. I especially like the trunk.

mjctraider: This is a nice shot. I'm not really sure what Link is going to do when he gets to the right side of the bridge, what with the tree there. Link is in a good pose, though I suspect you only used Din's Fire to show it off for the shot, as there aren't really any enemies. Good stuff.

StarFox: WOW!

In the end, it was close, but my vote goes to Radien.

#6 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:42 AM

Another week with great shots. Here we go.

PolygonX8- This looks very very good. Every time I see anything related to this quest, it amazes me.

Radien- Awesome shot Radien, this looks great. It'll be an awesome quest. I love the ilework in this shot.

LinktheMaster- Cool, I love nighttime shots. Very well setup. Maybe you could make the wall a bit thicker than it is, because it looks fairly thin right now. I just really like this one. *votes*

BH4- icon_lol.gif Funny. I love the character portrait, he looks surprised/confused. I like this shot, because it's funny, and I just like the overall setup with the water and stuff.

link3505- Great trees link. They are very unique, and well done. There really isn't much else to say about this one.

mjctraider- Good shot. I like the setup a lot. Matbe there could be some rocks sticking out of the waterfall to break up the constant waterfall tiles.

StarFox-Cool StarFox, that's a very cool classic shot.

Now just to wait until next week.

#7 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 12:55 AM

PolygonX8: OWNAGE. I've been in that place. But why'd you use a .jpg? The quality looks aweful. In any case, you know I love this quest and can't wait for a finished product. ^_~

Radien: NICE... I like the drawbridge too. This is definitely another quest that I will be looking forward to playing. The castle itself is very nice. icon_smile.gif

LinkTheMaster: LOL Another castle shot. This one is a little more dark than Radien's. I like it, but it is definitely beaten out by Radien's shot. :/

BH4: Very funny. But we have seen the Link Portraits before, let's see something new!

Link3505: icon_eek.gif Whoa! Cool! icon_kawaii.gif I really like the colors on this one. I'm usually with Radien on the uber-bright colors thing, but these ones don't seem to bother me as much. I REALLY like them! ^_^ Nice job! *votes*

mjctraider: Welcome! I like your shot, there's a lack of custom tiles, but it is well-assembled and the Din's Fire adds a neat effect. ^_^ Good job! ^_~

Starfox: Nice recolor on the classic set. Not much more to say, other than try recoloring Link and the other tiles. icon_smile.gif

#8 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:02 AM

I really have no idea why onverted to JPEG. icon_shrug.gif Well, I easily lost this week, no doubt about it. I would most definetely pick link3505's shot. That is some amazing tiles. Ever. I've always prefered the newfirst Link over all the others.

BTW, link3505, when will that tileset be complete? I actually would love to use it. icon_biggrin.gif

PolygonX8: I like the Metroid rocks, but because you made it a JPEG, I can't clearly see any of the sprites. In any case, I'm not so sure about those Zelda trees and grass in a Metroid quest. Looks a bit out of place. I like the items on the top, though. In fact, I like that entire top.

Then, what trees, bushes, grass, do you suggest I use? icon_heh.gif Radien failed to recommend better ones, now let's see if you can, SF. icon_razz.gif It's much better when you play, and that shot is a little old (Somewhat). I've made a slight change to the grass, I took off the dark green that goes along all the edges. Yeah, but it is a JPEG so it looks pretty bad. icon_neutral.gif NExt week, er... week after will be soemthing nice. Two options:
1. A shot of the battle with Ridley
2. A shot of lower Ignithus

Depends on how far I get, as next week is SoTM I believe. icon_smile.gif

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:41 AM

* BH4 adds the caption to his title because Praethus forgot to. * Is there anyone else who didn't get a caption added? (No offense, Praethus. icon_redface.gif

* BH4 Nulls Vote.

As you can plainly see, my submission was a joke submission. .. It's still a submission though, but don't vote for it, as it's not intended to win. .. Stop acting like the shot is meant to be critiqued. icon_razz.gif .. That's why the caption was so darn important! icon_freak.gif

PolygonX8: This is definitely my favorite shot here. Because I've seen the area and events surrounding it, I really know how great it is. Were it that I could vote, I would have easily voted for it.

Radien: Well, ... Perhaps add a bit more to the grass, and you're good! ^_^ .. A bit more details onto the castle too, maybe? .. Little pebbles.. spots of moss.. Then, it would be a jaw-dropping show! The Drawbridge looks EXCELLENT.

LinktheMaster: A for effort, dude. icon_wink.gif icon_thumbsup.gif .. A for the shot, too. It's a very nice shot, actually! ^.^;'

BH4: * Sees that it's a joke shot and passes it over.

link3505: Oh, must I say that this is l33t again? icon_shrug.gif Really, must I? icon_confused.gif ... icon_razz.gif Pwnage, dude.

mjctraider: .. You know, I really like this shot. It really reminds me of Freedom's works. icon_smile.gif If not for some of the more original works here, I would have definitely voted for this. Really, keep up the good work. icon_thumbsup.gif icon_wink.gif

Starfox: I don't believe I've ever seen a finer use of the Classic Tileset. It's modified VERY well, and gives a very pleasant feel off of it. Thanks, for such a bright image! ^_^

#10 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 07:34 AM

**null votes**
PolygonX8: Very nice tiles. The background is very nice, and, as usual, the sprites are very good. icon_thumbsup.gif
Radien: To tell people the truth, this shot was the one that got me in the mood to make my own castle tiles. Very nice, the draw bridge is awesome, what more is there to say?
LinktheMaster: I'll comment on what people said.
t were me, I'd make the wall a bit thicker.

I can do that. icon_wink.gif
I might also give it a little shading.

It has some shading, it's just the darker palette makes it hard to see. icon_shrug.gif
Although, I am a little bit confused how fire and rain can exist in the same shot..

Umm, I guess the castle could be blocking the rain from hitting the torches. icon_heh.gif
BH4: Very nice setup, the portrait is nice to see. And, it's funny. icon_razz.gif
link3505: I dunno, I don't like bright palettes. >_< Maybe you could make it a bit darker? But, very nice arrangement and tiles.
mjctraider: Very nice! Nice arrangement, nice look, nice tiles.
Starfox: Very nice use of the Classic set SF! Very nice look and it has a very nice feel!

I would have voted for link3505.

#11 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:34 AM

I'm a little lazy today, so I'm gonna go with the highlights.

PolygonX8: Dark, eiry (sp)...nice. Too bad it's jpg, they suck.

Raiden: Nice. Better than my castle. Still it's simple.

Link3505: Awesome trees! I must have one!!!!

mjctraider: Nice. Very, what's the word?, swave. You're disguiseing some element using Dins's Fire there. I'm guess it's a simple waterfall. Why don't you use some fish jumping up or down from the waterfall? That'll help liven things up.

I wonder how you submit an entry to these? I might have something to submit...

#12 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE(SwordOfSeals @ Jun 30 2004, 09:34 AM)
I wonder how you submit an entry to these? I might have something to submit...

PM Praethus with your shot and a caption (if one is desired).

Depends on how far I get, as next week is SoTM I believe.

No, we have one more SOTW before SOTM.

#13 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 01:18 PM

Close your eyes kids, here we go again... icon_razz.gif

PolygonX8 - Well, I still hate that graphical style (explained in the previous SOTW thread), but somehow I'm getting used to Poly's style, and since that shot looks pretty interesting (good sprites and lots of action going on), I have to say it is better than an "ok shot". (Oh, about jpgs, in my opinion they usually make screenshots look BETTER, not worse... but I guess I just have to believe Poly when he says that his shot would look better without the jpg-ness)
6 / 10

Radien - What happened? After a fantastic shot you post a really mediocre shot? Oh well... Tiles are ok and colors are pretty nice, but the shot is really bland and lacks originality. More details would definitely spice up the shot a lot.
5 / 10

LinktheMaster - Oh no, another castle shot. Really interesting... icon_rolleyes.gif Er, I like the dark colors and the torches are nice... as is the castle walls. Rain is a big plus, but other than that the shot is quite bland. It's lacking in the attention to detail department and I don't like the color of the subscreen. It doesn't fit to the dark shot.
6 / 10

BH4 - Well the shot is looking quite interesting, but behind the text box and that portrait there is a quite dull background. But these kind of shots really aren't the best ones to SotW in my opinion because the portrait steals the attention from the rest of the shot...
5 / 10

link3505 - Sweet dude! ...I mean those trees are. But other than that the shot is just a decent and boring "look at my great trees" shot. The colors are a bit too bright (especially the grass and the ground. yeah I know it is supposed to be a LA set but still...) Then the screen is filled with those same trees which makes the shot very boring, especially since there is no action... just Link slashing his sword. But at least there's different looking "ground tiles" here and there (rocks and flowers etc.)
5 / 10

mjctraider - The shot is way too bland and unoriginal. That big waterfall just makes the shot look boring. But at least Link is doing something interesting and the sides of the waterfall are quite detailed. And the tiles and colors are at least fine. icon_smile.gif
5 / 10

StarFox - I agree with StarFox. WOW! But by wow I mean how surprised I am to see a classic shot, and a pretty bad one too. Colors are pleasent, but why isn't Link changed? And those green things... whatever they are, are badly drawn. And... well, this is a pretty basic fairy spring shot I'd say... but though I sound a bit harsh, I guess it still beats the original fairy spring.
4 / 10

And since many people have been wondering my pretty low scores, I hope it's ok to add my rating system to this post to enlighten people... uh, so here:
10 = Perfect (No SotW entry has been this good yet)
9 = Fabulous! (Looks stunning, has only few small flaws)
8 = Great! (Really well made shot, but has one bigger problem like bad tileset or lack of details...)
7 = Very good (Still looking great, but many things could have been done better)
6 = Good (Looks pretty nice, but has at least one big flaw or is just totally lacking originality)
5 = Ok (Not good, not bad. Or should I say, it is as good as it is bad icon_heh.gif but usually is lacking something really badly)
4 = Passable (Not good anymore, but has some things done right)
3 = Quite Poor (Unpleasent, might have one thing done right...)
2 = Really poor (My eyes hurt. No originality, bland as hell, ugly tiles, colors clashing badly...)
1 = UGH!

#14 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:54 PM

Ok, I don't want to make a long jibber jabber this week.. I was going to but I feel lazy.. Well.. This week is really hard for me, let me see... I don't know if I can vote. Uhh.. It's hard.. Radiens screen is good. I love the Bridge, and those freakin mountain tiles on the bottom icon_thumbsup.gif I don't know it's close.. I can't really see very many of them.. But I guess I will vote for... Link3505.. Simply because I love the freakin trees.. They rock! icon_thumbsup.gif And the palette is just.. WOW! Great colors used.. Good job, Link3505. icon_razz.gif

#15 Guest_mjctraider (Guest)

Guest_mjctraider (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2004 - 02:56 PM

Well I appreciate any comments about my screenshot, whether you say you like my screenshot or just think it plans stinks. I appreciate any comments good or bad. I am no artist and cannot create my own tiles to save my life. So I just look for good tilesets and rip them into one big tileset.

As for adding rocks sticking out of the waterfall to break it up; I thought about doing that but as I said I am not graphically inclinded.
So adding fish jumping out is a no go either unless someone else out there creates them and adds them to this site for others to use.

In case anyone is wondering which I'm sure they are notI my vote was null since I have a screenshot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users