Photo

Screenshot of the Week 469

nicklegends Demonlink Shane coolgamer012345 SirKazuma GrantGreif

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 469 (65 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

coolgamer012345
coolgamer012345.png
Link: Where am I

SirKazuma
SirKazuma.png
Return of Cucumber Islands

GrantGreif
GrantGreif.png

nicklegends
nicklegends.png
Link wanted the sword upgrade, but he also wanted dry hair.

Demonlink
Demonlink.png
Twilight Forest entrance, shut up and stare at it! XD (With all respect of course :P )

Shane
Shane.png
sun of a beach. this beach is giving me crustacean frustration.

#2 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

This is the best screenshot of the week in ages!

-Strike

Edited by strike, 17 August 2014 - 02:58 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#3 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

Voted for nicklegends. His screenshot has shadows Nuff' said.

Edited by coolgamer012345, 17 August 2014 - 02:09 PM.

• nicklegends likes this

#4 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well, I'm screwed I see :lol: A huge amount of great shots this week! :)

• SirKazuma likes this

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Very close call between the peacock and nicklegends. I ended up voting for nicklegends because I just love those shadows.

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

It was such a hard choice between PeacockLover (Shane) and Demonlink this week, but at the end, I went with one of the best DoR screens I've ever seen (that's Demonlink btw)

sorry shane, i would vote you but Demonlink make cool remembrance screen, forest and stuff. i still forgot to like your screen tho, pece

• Demonlink likes this

#7 Frocks7Snee

Frocks7Snee

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

Voted for Nicklegends. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the screen looks like a sunset because of the shadow's direction.

Edited by Rocks4Free, 17 August 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#8 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. :) I wouldn't submit a shot I wasn't proud of, but I admit I'm rather surprised by the response it's getting... I think Demonlink and Shane both have killer shots in terms of screen design, graphical consistency, and palette choice. Coolgamer's is also very solid: it's evident he put a lot of work into his screen and the building looks ominous and mysterious--fun to play, really. I don't like nulling in these contests, so my vote goes to Shane this week, by a slim margin.

About the shadows... I don't mean for it to seem like sunset, but rather a sort of late-afternoon-type deal. The most important thing is that the cliffs on the left of the screen are accentuated, which they are (without shadows, how would you distinguish a monstrous 6-tile-high plateau from a 1-tile-high ledge?). As it turns out, cliff height is somewhat significant in my quest, but I don't care to explain why right now.

In any case, thanks again for your comments. :)
  • Demonlink likes this

#9 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. :) I wouldn't submit a shot I wasn't proud of, but I admit I'm rather surprised by the response it's getting... I think Demonlink and Shane both have killer shots in terms of screen design, graphical consistency, and palette choice. Coolgamer's is also very solid: it's evident he put a lot of work into his screen and the building looks ominous and mysterious--fun to play, really. I don't like nulling in these contests, so my vote goes to Shane this week, by a slim margin.

About the shadows... I don't mean for it to seem like sunset, but rather a sort of late-afternoon-type deal. The most important thing is that the cliffs on the left of the screen are accentuated, which they are (without shadows, how would you distinguish a monstrous 6-tile-high plateau from a 1-tile-high ledge?). As it turns out, cliff height is somewhat significant in my quest, but I don't care to explain why right now.

In any case, thanks again for your comments. :)

Actually, yours looks like a somehow realistic shot you managed to pull out of GB, kinda like a daytime waterfall area to go and relax (but killing the Peahats first of course :P). It's a solid shot in my book, and thanks for your kind words as well! :)

#10 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

coolgamer012345 - Very cool looking prison/fortress. I like the colors and the wya it kidn of is built into a mountainside.

SirKazuma - One of the things I've harped on a lot in SotW is the Koten set, because while I like the idea of something that feels deliberately old school and NES-esque, that never feels like everything integrates well within it. However, this screen is a great example of how to make a game feel like something that belongs on the NES both in terms of visuals and color scheme. Really interesting screen that just catches my eye right away.

GrantGreif - This kind of still suffers from the same thing I said last week. The lines and angles all feel very hard and sharp. There's nothing inherently wrong with the screen, but it just isn't very inspiring to me.

nicklegends - This is a very gameboy-esque screen that works on multiple levels. It has some intruige with the cave on the cliff, it has multiple ways to traverse it, which opens up options for how to get around the world, and the enemies feel appropriate to the area. However, the shadows just don't do anything for me. I think the screen would work much better without them.

Demonlink - I love the color pallette here, and the screen is beautifully designed. However, this is another screen that I feel would've benefitted from seeing Link and any enemies on it, just to make it feel more complete.

Shane - A simple and effective beach scene, with appropriate enemies and some pretty nice screen design. It immediately makes me wonder what will be found at the end of this beach area.

This week goes to SirKazuma, just because it felt the most unique and interesting to me.

• Demonlink and SirKazuma like this

#11 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:53 AM

Too many great screens!
But i had to choose nicklegends. Why? Because his screen was nice and simple! also because... shadows.

#12 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

GrantGreif's is my favorite

Edited by anikom15, 20 August 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#13 Parsnip

Parsnip

Parsnip

• Members

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Wow this weeks Sotw is probably my favorite and was the hardest to chose from they where all so different each with very unique styles. I made a promise to myself I would never Null so I just bit the bullet and tried to figure out who my favorite was. This is what I came up with. I first started with what ones could I see myself wanting to play the most. And I eventually came up with all of them except for the game boy ones. They where both so great but It seems a lot of quest are being made with the EZGBZ tileset myself included, and I was looking for something more original than that. But don't get me wrong both Screen Shots where great. So that left me with four more decisions to make. So then I moved to the next thing how well the screen was put together. I ended up taking out two more SirKazuma and coolgamer012345. Then finally it came to the last two. I sat there staring at both for quite some time. The main thing I thought about was what one stirred up more emotions. I ended up being stumped both of them gave my two completely different emotions and moved me in so many ways. I just couldn't decide so I searched my room for a quarter and flipped it, Miguel was heads and Shane was tales. And it came out tales. So for me The person who got my vote this week was Shane.  

Now the actual review of each one-

-coolgamer012345 pros: the color palette was very nice and the screen lay out was also very good 

cons: the one building the roof almost looks like a wall to me. 

-SirKazuma pros: the screen fit together nicely and it has great composition. Another thing to point out is you did a great job putting GB combos in your quest.

cons: The link sprite doesn't look like it belongs in the quest

- GrantGreif pros: I like the action shot in it and it uses the combos very well

cons: Maybe you could use a different pallet for the forest.

-nicklegends pros: this seems like it could be a very fun game, also I like the shading and use of many combos.

cons: the one shadow on the top in the middle I think is pointing the wrong way.  

-Demonlink pros: This Screen shot made my think a lot and I think you used a terrific Tile set XD and I really like the palette choice.

cons: the two flowers close to the top are kinda weird colors for this screen I think. 

-Shane pros: I really like the placement of everything and it made my want to get up and stop being so damn lazy XD. 

cons: I don't care to much for link with dark brown hair I think in this he should have like dirty blond hair. 

I hope you liked this review because it took me a long time XD. Thanks for reading and can't wait to see more. 

Edited by legend27, 20 August 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• nicklegends, Shane, anikom15 and 1 other like this

#14 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

Wow this weeks Sotw is probably my favorite and was the hardest to chose from they where all so different each with very unique styles. I made a promise to myself I would never Null so I just bit the bullet and tried to figure out who my favorite was. This is what I came up with. I first started with what ones could I see myself wanting to play the most. And I eventually came up with all of them except for the game boy ones. They where both so great but It seems a lot of quest are being made with the EZGBZ tileset myself included, and I was looking for something more original than that. But don't get me wrong both Screen Shots where great. So that left me with four more decisions to make. So then I moved to the next thing how well the screen was put together. I ended up taking out two more SirKazuma and coolgamer012345. Then finally it came to the last two. I sat there staring at both for quite some time. The main thing I thought about was what one stirred up more emotions. I ended up being stumped both of them gave my two completely different emotions and moved me in so many ways. I just couldn't decide so I searched my room for a quarter and flipped it, Miguel was heads and Shane was tales. And it came out tales. So for me The person who got my vote this week was Shane.  

Now the actual review of each one-

-coolgamer012345 pros: the color palette was very nice and the screen lay out was also very good 
cons: the one building the roof almost looks like a wall to me. 

-SirKazuma pros: the screen fit together nicely and it has great composition. Another thing to point out is you did a great job putting GB combos in your quest.
cons: The link sprite doesn't look like it belongs in the quest

- GrantGreif pros: I like the action shot in it and it uses the combos very well
cons: Maybe you could use a different pallet for the forest.

-nicklegends pros: this seems like it could be a very fun game, also I like the shading and use of many combos.
cons: the one shadow on the top in the middle I think is pointing the wrong way.  

-Demonlink pros: This Screen shot made my think a lot and I think you used a terrific Tile set XD and I really like the palette choice.
cons: the two flowers close to the top are kinda weird colors for this screen I think. 

-Shane pros: I really like the placement of everything and it made my want to get up and stop being so damn lazy XD. 
cons: I don't care to much for link with dark brown hair I think in this he should have like dirty blond hair. 

I hope you liked this review because it took me a long time XD. Thanks for reading and can't wait to see more. 

no way brown hair is the master race :-)

thanks for your vote though

• Parsnip likes this

#15 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

coolgamer012345 - Nice dilapidated structure.  The rest of the screen compliments it right.

SirKazuma - The details feel more random than planned out in some way.  I'm not sure what others are seeing in it.

GrantGreif - It's decent.  While not the most interesting thing I have seen, it does the job.

nicklegends - It's pretty good.  Just enough to not feel too crowded.  What prevented my vote on this one is that while I like the addition of shadows, the one on the left bugs me for cutting a perfectly straight line through most of it, even though I can see why.  Perhaps it would look less awkward with more of the rough ground details, so it must be the shadow combined with the solid green squares.

Demonlink - Good usage of a more complex tileset, but something feels missing.  It's in ZC and not ZQuest, so maybe there is a reason for that?  Enter the forest first, then comes the scary part?

Shane - A well rounded screen with all the fine trimmings.  Very soundly concocted, and as complete as it needs to be.  You got my vote.

• Shane and Demonlink like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicklegends, Demonlink, Shane, coolgamer012345, SirKazuma, GrantGreif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users