Photo

Screenshot of the Week 446

NewJourneysFire Russ nicklegends Demonlink Benji Hoff123

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 446 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

NewJourneysFire
NewJourneysFire.png
These Peahats better be flying types!

Russ
Russ.png
Soaring in the blue, FlĂĽgel der Freiheit!

nicklegends
nicklegends.png
Take that, slithery snake guardian!

Demonlink
Demonlink.png
We need this tileset finished! :O

Benji
Benji.png
Is Link dreaming... or is it more than that?

Hoff123
Hoff123.png
"Hi there! My mom has gotten pretty fat lately, so instead I have to do her work."

#2 Shane

Shane

đź’™

• Moderators

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

Voted for nicklegends, I love the environment and what's going on.

NewJourneysFire's I don't even understand at all, where are we supposed to walk? Readability comes a long way, there's just too much going on!

Russ's is a bit bland in the center, and on the upper snow terrain. Footprints could work.

Demonlink's was close second for the amazing screen structure, but I'm not a fan of the detailing (or rather the lack of detail in between) or water (graphics themselves).

Benji's is alright, but the tower has some serious perspective/visual issues.

Hoff123's is somewhat true to the OoA visuals (again), but the screen design feels man made rather than natural with it having a mirrored design.

Edited by Charizard, 09 March 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#3 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

NewJourneysFire's I don't even understand at all, where are we supposed to walk? Readability comes a long way, there's just too much going on!

The center rock is like a pillar, you can walk behind it. (The bushes is a giveaway). At first look, one could assume that I carelessly layered rock tiles over bush tiles by mistake, but half of that center rock structure is overhead. Same goes for the trees in the foreground.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 09 March 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#4 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

All hail NJF, the guy who beat me I mean, reinvented classic with that beautiful new style! :D

#5 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

I had to null my vote. Just look at those beauties

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I just noticed in Benji's the "ZZZ..." :D

#7 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

I voted for nickel legends. Good screen. NJF was a little too over the top this time. Just a tad. Good turn out! :)

-Strike

#8 Shane

Shane

đź’™

• Moderators

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

The center rock is like a pillar, you can walk behind it. (The bushes is a giveaway). At first look, one could assume that I carelessly layered rock tiles over bush tiles by mistake, but half of that center rock structure is overhead. Same goes for the trees in the foreground.

I don't think I'm going to do well in exploring your Overworld. So confusing. Q_Q

I kinda knew the rock pillar was overhead, but I personally don't like resorting to fumbling around screens looking for pathways hidden under things - and this screen looks like it encourages it a lot. I just want to know where I'm going. But to each their own I guess...

#9 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

No hidden pathways, but a few overhead stone formations.

Update: however, this screen actually is hidden due to the trees. But that doesn't meant the whole overworld will be a mess of hidden pathways. :P I could make the overworld a mess of hidden pathways if you want. ;p

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 10 March 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#10 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

voted for Hof123.

It's a simple, but very nice GB-screenshot ^^

@Russ: What script is that? Roc's cape? :)

• Hoff123 likes this

#11 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Oh I got a vote! lol Thank you :).

#12 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

It was hard between Demonlink, Hoff123 and nicklegends.

And then it was a choice between Hoff123 and nicklegends (Demonlink's shot was pretty good, but the floor felt kinda... empty with design. I dunno how to put it, but something felt missing)

I eventually chose nicklegends. Sure, Hoff123 had that awesome Oracle of Ages-style screen, but I felt that nicklegends just put a little more effort into the screen, and all in all, it looks beautiful.

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

@Russ: What script is that? Roc's cape? :)

It's a Deku Leaf that Moosh made for our random theme quest contest entry. The screenshot's from the same entry.

I was torn between NJF and Nicklegends, but I think I'm throwing in my vote for the latter, for making a really good screen of the kind I haven't seen before without flashy custom tiles.

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

without flashy custom tiles.

While I have also voted for nicklegend's screen (though I really wish he would have used "borders" on these dirt roads) I don't see what kind of criteria "without flashy custom tiles" meets. I really don't understand those of you PZCers that dislike any custom content. That regressive attitude is just not making a lot of sense to me - if it was to be taken serious we would still be using the original classic tiles and nothing else. And yet here you are, making it sound as though creating custom content (most notably in the graphical department) is somehow bad or "cheap". It's not just on this one occasion, I've seen people getting that a lot here before (I've actually been on the receiving side more than once as well). Explain yourself, please.

• Shane and strike like this

#15 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

I can't speak for Russ, but I took his comment to mean that my screen felt fresh despite not utilizing custom tiles, which means that custom tiles tend to be a plus instead of a negative. You and he agree on that point so far as I can tell, Sheik.

Either way, thanks for your votes. You're right to say that grass–dirt borders would help a lot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NewJourneysFire, Russ, nicklegends, Demonlink, Benji, Hoff123

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users