Photo

Screenshot of the Week 373

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 373 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

green-kirby
IPB Image
South-east slashing is just one of those amazing things few heroes learn, the sword beam is another.

Nolornbon
IPB Image
While exploring a desert canyon, Link finds this ancient structure that looks like it was once a wet place. Evidence of animal sacrifice is present...

Ventus
IPB Image
Heading though the Moblin forest after a downpour, *Takes a big whiff* the fresh scent of forest.

Dragonite
IPB Image

Jared
IPB Image
Random sword on the ground...for the win!

trudatman
IPB Image
224x256 is so small... zoom in.

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

I vote for Dragonite. The design of the screen seems to complement the colors well because you get the green of the grass, the yellow of the sand, and the blue of the water. I don't really like how the waterfall ends abruptly in a pool--I'd expect some sort of river flowing from it, but that's my only real concern. Honorable mention to green-kirby.

#3 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

icon_smile.gif

Nolornbon`s screen looks interesting , so my vote goes to that screen.

#4 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I voted for Jared's, despite the weird V's on the roof and the strange brightness of the character and item sprites, because, overall, it has the best screen design. all of this week's entries are not quite up to par, to me -- mine included, obviously. my second pick would be Nolonrbon's, because it doesn't have color failures and it looks interesting (especially given the hint to peep sacrificial evidences) in its concept. however, it is also kind of plain in its symmetry and its tileset. plus, I think the bottom edge of the mountain pushing the player offscreen is unnecessary. anyway, it was a close call, for me, between those two.

#5 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(trudatman @ Jul 9 2012, 02:58 PM) View Post

I voted for Jared's, despite the weird V's on the roof and the strange brightness of the character and item sprites, because, overall, it has the best screen design. all of this week's entries are not quite up to par, to me -- mine included, obviously. my second pick would be Nolonrbon's, because it doesn't have color failures and it looks interesting (especially given the hint to peep sacrificial evidences) in its concept. however, it is also kind of plain in its symmetry and its tileset. plus, I think the bottom edge of the mountain pushing the player offscreen is unnecessary. anyway, it was a close call, for me, between those two.

Ah, that's rain. icon_smile.gif Thank you for the comments!

#6 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

so the rain streaks (the top right to bottom left diagonals) hitting the roof makes the V's? they only appear on the one roof and not the other? do you choose where they can appear? I zoomed way in to try to figure it out....

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, I choose. Trying to keep myself organized however, I'm only using one rain screen, for the layer. it's not really something that will be looked at closely in gameplay.

#8 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

I voted for Ventus, soley because it wasn't seen in the Screenshot Critique Thread unlike Jared's and Dragonite's shots, my other picks. Tough choice this week.
Honestly, I have a small issue with shots that have already been shown in the critique thread. For me, they seem uninteresting because I've already seen them, especially if they were shown the day before the contest.
P.S. I did the same once, but that shot was revealed in the critique thread months (or prehaps even a year) before I submitted it into the contest. It would have been more interesting than shots unveiled right before the contest but less interesting than a new shot right off the block.
QUOTE(trudatman @ Jul 10 2012, 04:58 AM) View Post

I voted for Jared's, despite the weird V's on the roof and the strange brightness of the character and item sprites, because, overall, it has the best screen design. all of this week's entries are not quite up to par, to me -- mine included, obviously.

It's not like that he can change the colours on the sprites, since you can't edit any of the sprite CSets on a DMap basis. I hate to say this, but unless you can find a way to make a nighttime pallet that also darkens all of the sprite CSets (5-11, 0-1), just deal with it.

Edited by Orin XD, 09 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#9 Octorockoncrack

Octorockoncrack

Crystal Warrior

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Voted for Ventus this week. I'm really liking those dark forest colors icon_thumbsup.gif

#10 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

the way to "deal with it" is to mute the colors a bit, so they work in bright and dull environs. you excuse would make sense if the palette straight up were not editable, but they are. I understand why they would be on the brighter side of perfect for dark parts of a quest, but they could be dampened, especially if the shot isn't of a quest but is just a shot for the sake of a screenshot. I'm not saying that any of that applies, just that the wicked bright (MA, USA, what?) sprites in a dark scene degrade my personal enjoyment of a shot. immersion is key, for me. I did vote for that one.

Edited by trudatman, 09 July 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#11 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

green-kirby: You've got my vote. This looks like an authentic GBC shot and the palette compliments the screen very well.

Nolornbon: There's nothing wrong with this screen; it's designed very nicely. However, there just isn't anything too interesting going on.

Ventus: I always love your classic shots and this one is no exception. The shadow overhang, however, looks slightly too jagged to me. It almost seems unnatural.

Dragonite: This is another great GBC shot, and I must say I'm jealous of how well you use the GBC mountains. I don't like the subscreen font, but that's just personal preference.

Jared: I like this shot, though it slightly looks like there's a house on top of a house. The contrasting brightness (wicked bright, if I may quote trudatman) is also slightly off-putting.

trudatman: It's always refreshing to see custom tilesets. It's simple, but I like it.

#12 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Nolornbon got my vote, I have not seen the the revenge 2 tileset in a LONG time.

#13 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

green-kirby - 4 votes = 9.09%
Nolornbon - 7 = 15.91%
Ventus - 8 = 18.18%
Dragonite - 19 = 43.18%
Jared - 4 = 9.09%
trudatman - 2 = 4.55%

Total Votes: 44