Photo

Screenshot of the Week 367

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 367 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:58 AM

Shane
IPB Image
They say once you enter Lavener Woods your ears may never hear another sound again... Creepy...

Marco
IPB Image
Swisher Sweets Blueberry

Jared
IPB Image
A new land, a new legend.

Russ
IPB Image
I is somewhat bored.

Dragonite
IPB Image
Nature is so awesome. icon_smile.gif

Nolornbon
IPB Image
While exploring Ulntauza Gorge and trying to reach Uglinadon's Lair, Link found this burial cave. Scary noises can be heard from within.

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

Three Classic shots in a week wtf (okay so one's "enhanced" but same difference)

Shane - I voted for this one. It's nothing too fantastic but it's a really good blend of tile placement, screen shape and palette. It's really nice to look at.

Marco - Good structure and shape, can't see anything wrong with it at all.

Jared - It seems somewhat haphazard. I dunno, the tileset just doesn't really appeal to me, maybe it's making it hard on me to actually judge the shot itself, so I won't try to just in case.

Russ - It's kind of empty, bro. I mean I realize it's classic but next to the other two classic shots it feels kind of underwhelming. Shouldn't be saying that because this is how classic is supposed to look, but eh, whatever.

Dragonite - This is a very nice shot, probably my second place pick. Runs smoothly, shaped well, no errors, nicely done.

Nolornbon - The contrast is better this time around. I kind of think that statue next to the entrance should be moved up a tile, and that tree looks kind of odd there, like the roots aren't actually digging into anything. Otherwise nice shot. icon_thumbsup.gif

#3 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

Voted for Jared, awesome tiles.

Shane and Dragonite are tied for 2nd. The rest don't really stand out to me. But good job guys.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:45 AM

I voted for Russ it had a feel of "openness-without-emptiness" which is rarely pulled off in classic.
The shape of the land and water has some nice interest to it.

Edited by Cukeman, 21 May 2012 - 04:47 AM.

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

A coin toss between Shane and Dragonite.

*flips Tiny_Sh.... I mean a coin*

Dragonite wins my vote. It's all Tiny_Sha... I mean the coin's fault!

#6 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

Shane:
Looks pretty much like any forest in any game. Not unique but solid. 6/10.
Marco:
That screen looks a bit better than offical Zelda 1 but a bit too hectic for my taste. 5/10
Jared:
This does not look like classic anymore. This is actually kind of nice. 7/10
Russ:
Sorry but this is no better than offical Zelda 1. It uses an either unaltered or only slighty altered classic tileset not my taste but its not bad so 4/10.
Dragonite:
Much like Shane pretty much looks like anything else. Not unique but solid. 6/10
Nolornbon:
Again i like your color choice. This time i also like the screen design that goes with it. 8/10

Who got my vote is obvious.

#7 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

When it comes to the lava, I had to import the colors for it. They don't come with Pure Remembrance.

#8 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Shane got my vote, though Dragonite was a really close second. I think they're both really great uses of a commonly-seen tileset.

#9 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

...I'm in a wordy, helpful-critiquey mood. Oh dear. Yes, I know a few of these were put together to get the contest going for others, but hey, why not?

Shane, Dragonite, Nolornbon: I... really don't have too much to say to these, sadly. Dragonite's looks like it'll be a joy to play through, though, like some of the Pure quests of the early 2000s (which makes since, since it seems to be using PTUX), and Nolornbon continues to refine the interesting atmosphere he's going for (The lava color's getting there!). Don't get me wrong, Dragonite's shot is one of my favorites this week, but I just can't get too much into specifics. Which is a good thing, I guess!

The classic shots caught my attention this attention this week. (Figures, right, knowing me...)

Marco's is... pretty eh. The random green splotches (I refuse to call that grass, urgh, it's not a very good implementation - I could never find a proper way to use that fresh out of the box) definitely do detract from the screen, though, unfortunately! Makes an otherwise-passable screen look overly busy.

Jared's... on one hand, I love what he's going for, but on the other hand things feel a tad "artificial". The trees' and ground's coloration styles (loads of random dots, unless my eyes are SERIOUSLY failing me today) don't really jive well with me - it feels like it's a bit overdone for a screen of this type, and the mountains just feel a tad "metallic" for lack of better words. On the other hand, though, I'm loving the water tiles, bridges, dead trees, and staircase up the mountain! Keep on refining this set, 'cause it's got loads of potential, and I'd possibly toy with it at some point!

I don't have much to say about Russ's either, which is bizarre as this one is my favorite over the bunch (though I really had to pick between him or Dragonite, to be fair.) It's just a simple Classic screen, but there's something in the layout of it that seriously makes it look insanely solid. If this is an actual quest in progress, keep it up - I look forward to it!

#10 MasterPlayer2342

MasterPlayer2342

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I like Shane's because the detail is well and it's a forest.

#11 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Shane - I like it enough, but it doesn't really stand out. It's a pretty solid shot, but there's not much else to say.

Marco - A little too busy for my taste, but not horrific.

Jared - It's nice to look at, but I almost feel like playing it would made me dizzy. (Looking at the tileset extensively gives me a headache, for whatever reason.) Nice design, though!

Russ - It's a little bland. I know Classic is sort of supposed to look like that, but something seems lacking even here. Not terrible, though.

Dragonite - My vote went here. I really like the format of the screen, the tile placement, and the colors.

Nolornbon - It's not great, but it's by no means bad. I'm not really a fan of the palette, and I think the tile placement is a little awkward (it almost looks like there's a straight line going through most of the screen with the rocks, statue, and cave entrance). I like your concept, though.

#12 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm voting for Jared. I like the re-envisioning of the classic set. It feels rustic and nostalgic, and doesn't skimp on detail.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Shane:
So Lavender Woods make you deaf?... Sounds a bit more than creepy.
This is a good standard screen. Looks like a ZQuest shot, though, and I wish you'd included something more than scenery. But as far as your forest goes, keep it up. Just try to make some interesting stuff happen.

Marco:
Hmmmm. Trying a bit too hard to use a variety of tiles here. Green Classic mountains don't need to be interspersed among brown. Likewise, when you have ground tiles of two totally different colors, it's best not to scatter them. It looks like a screwed-up chess board.
I'm afraid those problems overshadow the rest of the screen. Also, the pot reference is tacky. I like brownies, myself, but I don't name my maps "brownies."

Jared:
Very nice. icon_smile.gif I'm not sure whether you drew the tiles or someone else, but this is one of the best updates of Classic I've seen. It keeps the color depth low, but has a nice, gritty look that is a bridge between NES-style and SNES-style. Your use of them is good, too. I just find this screen generally appealing without anything that would make it awkward to play.
No subscreen and only a little action, but more action than most of the shots this week. It gets my vote!

Russ:
That upper-left area looks a little too cramped for fighting. I'd either make more room, or put "No Enemies" flags up there...or use enemy placement flags to keep them from spawning up top. The lower-right area looks even more cramped, and if it is accessible, the walk flags (provided you haven't changed them) will make it impossible to walk past that bush.

Dragonite:
I literally have nothing negative to say about this screen's design... except that it's nothing at all we haven't seen before. It doesn't lend itself to originality in any significant way, which is why I'm not voting for it. (Also there's nothing interesting going on, but that's pretty typical this week.)
I'm a little peeved that all it takes to win SotW is a correctly structured Pure tileset shot with hills and trees. It looks fine, but it's extremely ho-hum.

Nolornborn:
Directly opposed to Dragonite, it seems like you've gone a little bit overboard here. I'm glad you're trying to do interesting stuff, and piecing together the wide variety of elements properly, but with lava, rock formations, cobblestones, sand, trees, torches, a statue, and a giant skull...it's a bit much. I suppose this look was typical of LttP Dark World scenes, which would explain why I don't like it much.
Also, it'd make more sense to have bridges over lava than tiny cobblestones. Plus, simply overlaying the road cobbles onto the lava makes it so they don't actually look like they are sticking out from the lava.

There we go. I voted for Jared. But...come on, people... try to show something more interesting happening in your screenshots. Even just Link slashing his sword at an enemy, or firing off his Hookshot, or pounding with his Hammer, or jumping in the air. It goes a long way.

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Voted for Dragonites great overworld screen, because of the good colours and the screen layout.

#15 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Voted for Dragonite Shane's is good to but to dark for Zelda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users