NES dungeon combo-cycling shutters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

I wanted to make shutters combo-cycling and for the most part it works. I simply changed the door combo's "open shutter" to the combo-cycling version (which appears closed at the start of its cycle). I've run into one big problem with this. If Link enters a room via a combo-cycling shutter, the door appears shuttered when he is walking into the room - so its like he's walking through the shutter. Although everything still functions ok, it just looks horrible. Theory is that ZC simply places the "open" version when Link is coming into the room and then switches to the "closed" version when the player takes control.

Anyone know any neat hack or workaround to get around this? Or is it unfixable without scripts?

#2 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Yes...and it's quite easy actually...

Copy your combos of all your completely-opened doorways. Then make them cycle to the combo where the door starts to close/shutter. These open-door combos don't even have to animate - they can have A. Frames of 0 and still cycle correctly. And the neat thing is they won't cycle until the screen is completely loaded after scrolling and after Link has already walked two tiles into the screen, therefore closing behind him correctly.

This will only work with dungeon-style dmaps though, just like a regular shutter, except of course with the benefit that it can go anywhere along the perimeter & not just the center, as I imagine that's what your intention is.

#3 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

No, actually, I intend my whole quest to have only NES dungeons with doors on the side - plus a few interior screens here and there.

As far as I can tell, there's only one small problem with the idea that you have idontknow8 and that is if Link enters a room not via the shutters and wins a combat - then opens the shutter - it will look really strange having the initial frame as open and then see the shutter opening. But I'll test it out and see if I can get it to work.

Shutters closing is something I'm not too worried about, its the shutters opening.

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

How many frames is your opening animation? (Please include the completely-open and completely-shut frames.)

NES Dungeon doors are made to handle a three-frame animation, meaning it has one "half-open" frame and then the completely-open and completely-shut frames. If you only have three frames, you can do it by-the-book and it will handle it just fine.

If you have more frames than that, then you WILL need combo cycling, and I'm not sure whether that is possible. It'll require experimentation on someone's part, if it hasn't been fully tested already.

#5 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

I'm using your DOR tileset Radien with the cycling shutters you provided - they definately need more than 3 frames.

But I've figured out how to do it. On the screen data, check "cycle combos on screen init". ZC will cycle through the closed shutter animation before loading it and thus leaving an open door - but at the same time the transition from closed shutter to open looks beautiful. Works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the DoR tileset Radien (and other contributors) - I'd never imagine such beauty, its amazing. I even decided to ditch my previous tileset and rebuild my quest because of it. When I finish The Liberation of Hyrule Extreme - it will look its best!

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE(James24 @ Mar 26 2012, 05:28 AM) View Post
I'm using your DOR tileset Radien with the cycling shutters you provided - they definately need more than 3 frames.

Ah... why yes, yes they do. BS doors only use 3 frames. The only reason I asked was because BS was what I was using last, so it was fresh in my mind.

QUOTE(James24 @ Mar 26 2012, 05:28 AM) View Post
But I've figured out how to do it. On the screen data, check "cycle combos on screen init". ZC will cycle through the closed shutter animation before loading it and thus leaving an open door - but at the same time the transition from closed shutter to open looks beautiful. Works like a charm! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the DoR tileset Radien (and other contributors) - I'd never imagine such beauty, its amazing. I even decided to ditch my previous tileset and rebuild my quest because of it. When I finish The Liberation of Hyrule Extreme - it will look its best!

I am very happy you found it possible to set up and would be interested in eventually seeing how you did it, if you don't mind. icon_smile.gif People tend not to use NES Doors in DoR as much, but I DID set up the door combo sets for it, so hey, why not do it right, eh?... icon_smile.gif

You're welcome; I'm glad you're enjoying DoR, as ever. icon_smile.gif I hope it wasn't too much work rebuilding your quest, but it's great that you feel satisfied with the results. Perhaps you've learned a lot in that time, as well?...

#7 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I made a special demo quest just for you so you can see how to do this. Note the new "open shutter" door combo looks closed but eventually animates to open.

In fact, I was a bit surprised that you didn't use the animated doors in the door combo sets.

The advantage of NES dungeon doors is that everything is already pre-programmed. If you use interior then you need to set things up for shutters - keys - boss doors.

As for redesigning my quest, it was long overdue anyway now that I know intermediate scripting. I can do all the things I wanted to do in my original quest. So it needed a tileset upgrade and DoR obliged icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users