Photo

Screenshot of the Week 358

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 358 (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast Your Vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:12 PM

Gonken
IPB Image
A screen i found that I like, its from my old work.

Yoshimi
IPB Image

Prospekt
IPB Image
I blame Russ. *runs*

Dragonite
IPB Image

Jared
IPB Image
Loftian Field is so...ZOMG A DEKU SCRUB.

William
IPB Image
Chain of Destiny

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

I voted Gonken. I thought Prospekt's screen felt cluttered, although the graphics and idea are awesome.
William's was well-designed, but I do not like the colors, it looks really muddy and murky.
The other screens felt like they didn't really have anything going on in them... icon_shrug.gif

Edited by Cukeman, 26 February 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I voted for Prospekt. I blame Russ as well.... for losing his dog.

#4 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

I always say I don't really like title screens in contests. (At least, I've vocalized that opinion. icon_deformed.gif) But I really like Sheik's.

Gonken: Pretty, but a little too symmetrical.

Prospekt: I guess open corners aren't a terrible thing in some cases, but you have a very busy ground, so not having the fourth corner framing everything makes it look a little awkward to me.

Dragonite: Those mountains seem unnaturally straight, but it's not a bad screen.

Jared: The transition from grass to water looks incredibly awkward. I also think the screen would benefit from some red. There is a lot of blue in the water and flowers, and a lot of greenery. I think it'd help balance it out. Even if you just turned the flowers red.

William: Solid screen and solid design, but nothing too eyecatching.

I voted for Sheik, oddly enough.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Gonken - Eh, it's fine I suppose. Nothing too special.

Yoshimi - Very good work, gives off a genuine 8-bit feel, which is usually a draw for me. Well done. icon_smile.gif

Prospekt - Had to vote here. It's a well-structured town shot, just the right amount of detail (maybe slightly too much), feels good, man. Fairly spooky too.

Dragonite - It looks pretty good, and your distribution of ground detail is better, but there's just too much of it. (What I mean by distribution is that you need to dole it out in more places, but not use too much of it. You just need to make sure there's just enough and it's spread out enough to keep the shot from looking bland. icon_wink.gif )

Jared - Not digging the palette, or how... square it is. Square tiles near the water in this kind of set is kind of a turnoff, and I've never liked the GB-style ALttP mountains. It's just my taste though; the design of the shot is fine, it's just the water border that's a real problem, at least in my eyes.

William - Very nice shot! Feels old-school, and I wish more people would get into the Chain of Destiny set, since it's a good one with untapped potential. Keep up the good work. icon_smile.gif

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Feb 27 2012, 01:50 PM) View Post

I voted for Prospekt. I blame Russ as well.... for losing his dog.

And apparently, it was all Tiny_Shane's fault. icon_deformed.gif

Anyways, voted for Yoshimi, very creative.

#7 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

I voted for Scootaloo this week. I love this screen, it just has a really neat feel to it. Tough choice though, as everyones shots are great! :o

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

Accroding to my timezone, last post in SotW 358 was on 3:58PM

Also Jared, bottom left mountain has some height issues. icon_frown.gif

#9 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

Gonken - A-
Very beautiful screen. Only complaint is that the ground is quite bright in comparison to the rest of it.

Yoshimi - B+
A nice title screen indeed. However, I will always have a softer side for a nice overworld or dungeon screen.

Prospekt - C+
It's not too bad, but it feels too random to look right, even for an abandoned or destroyed village. I feel that a lot of the detail is just placed willy nilly, rather than for a reason (and even an attack has some reason). Also, the two types of palm trees don't feel like they belong together in the same screen.

Dragonite - B+
A pretty solidly put together screen for your everyday overworld needs.

Jared - B+
I love the majority of the screen. You do very well with ground details and elevation. However, I am not a fan of the grass to water transition, which is barely a transition at all, and thus feels unnatural. I think having an intermediate type of ground between them would work better, such as either sand or rocky ground. Perhaps that would have been harder to put into the one screen without making it feel too crowded though. These small ZC screens often leave one to making many compromises and sacrifices, especially when you are displaying something for a one screen contest.

William - A-
I haven't seen these graphics for a very long time. I'm glad to see somebody trying them again. While those trees on the right are not my favorite, they are well placed, and the overall screen has a nice design to it. Went with this over Gonken's due to the more pleasing colors.

An interesting week. I felt like my opinions differ greatly when compared to the votes thus far. Some of the most votes went to some of my least favorite screens for this week, while some of the least votes went toward screens that I thought were among the better. But hey, we don't all see the same things, and that's okay.

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for the comments and support, everybody. I would not have guessed that a title screen stands a chance against actual gameplay screens! Anyways, we have a few cool things planned for its animation, I'm sure you will like it.

#11 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Shane @ Feb 28 2012, 01:36 AM) View Post

Accroding to my timezone, last post in SotW 358 was on 3:58PM

Also Jared, bottom left mountain has some height issues. icon_frown.gif

I actually fixed it a few minutes after I put the screen up icon_smile.gif

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Feb 28 2012, 02:38 AM) View Post
Thanks for the comments and support, everybody. I would not have guessed that a title screen stands a chance against actual gameplay screens! Anyways, we have a few cool things planned for its animation, I'm sure you will like it.
Well of course, everyone's seen gameplay screens, title screens aren't as common. And this one was really well-designed. It's nice to see effort put into designing one's own title screen; not to belittle screen design at all, but yours is a rather refreshing idea for a change. icon_smile.gif

#13 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Wow, it is a long time since I saw so many great pics in SotW. icon_biggrin.gif
I voted for Prospekt. The screen looks a bit chaotic and overdetailed, but that looks good on a damaged-house-pic (I hope, you understand what I mean. XD )

#14 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

I voted for Dragonite, because his screenshot felt... well..." right". I can't explain it, but it feels good to look at.

#15 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the comments!

Seems like Sheik is winning, that isn't all too bad since I'm a part of the project. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users