Photo

Screenshot of the Week 346

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 346 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

William
IPB Image
An Autumn shot in GB? Liam, that's so unlike you! Wait, no it isn't.

blackbishop89
IPB Image
Link and Zelda enjoy a quiet day on the beach.

blue_knight
IPB Image
Link is about to enter the Golden Tower...

Nolornbon
IPB Image
Link must go through a meadow to get to a distant dungeon, but that meadow is inhabited by angry old men that like to steal money. Could Link die at the hands of a thieving grandpa?

Yoshimi
IPB Image
Taking up work on BS/MC again. Throwing in a good heap of aLttP.

Koh
IPB Image
Gee, it sure is green around here...

Naldrag
IPB Image
Mitch lied, thousands died. Spread the news.

Gonken
IPB Image
The MC Tileset is almost complete!

Yoshidude
IPB Image
[i]

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Wait...I thought I entered? Nevertheless, ratings will come later icon_smile.gif

#3 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Nov 27 2011, 07:20 PM) View Post
Wait...I thought I entered? Nevertheless, ratings will come later icon_smile.gif
I looked again just now, and there wasn't a post in the Dropbox for it. icon_frown.gif Sorries! I'd never intentionally skip a screenshot.

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Shoot, people just had to enter with fancy graphics. My plans to win because of using a non-popular tileset are foiled...FOILED I TELL YOU!

-snip-
Double post fail.

#5 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Had I not entered, Yoshimi would get my vote. It uses a very nice bright palette while still managing to avoid looking washed out. I like the bridge graphics, water and trees... though I'm not sure about the grass, that's probably my only complaint.

William - the design looks pretty good but I'm just not a fan of that tileset.

blackbishop89 - nice, simple beach scene. No real complaints other then a slight "man-made" feel to it... probably because of the way the trees line up.

me - I need to fix that bat, it's currently the only enemy left that hasn't been enhanced.

Nolornbon - Interesting but a little too much green for my taste. The trees blend in with the ground too much.

Koh - It looks like it's going in a decent direction but still needs some more work. The water by the waterfall is way too straight, for example.

Naldrag - Nice looking Classic shot.

Gonken - Nice tiles, I'd probably rate this second after Yoshimi.

Yoshidude - Good screen design I think but it doesn't really stand out.

Edited by blue_knight, 27 November 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

William:
It's a quite solid screen, but nothing terribly new. It does quite well but won't win against strong competition.

blackbishop89:
I edited every single tile on this screen in some way. Woo. icon_biggrin.gif

It looks quite nice, but the only problem with SD3 sand is that it looks too flat if you don't add in some elevation changes. If you don't have those SD3 sandy inclines (I forget whether DoR has them), you might add in some mountains or large rocks to give it some rise and fall.

I realize this might only be used for a cinema scene, though, so only one or two additions would be needed, at most.

blue_knight:
Excellent as usual. Don't change a thing. icon_smile.gif It's a slightly less interesting shot for SOTW, though, so even though I think you did nothing wrong, I'll say that there have been more interesting World Tree shots.

Also: Link is about to enter the World Tree... with one quarter-heart?? icon_odd.gif M'thinks he might want to head for a town first, or at least smash up some pots.

Nolornbon:
Old men? Rupee-stealing custom enemies, I'm guessing?... That's a weird take on the idea.

I have a hard time saying what's good or bad about a Classic screenshot like this, though. It's just really basic.

Oh wait, one thing: see the base of the mountains, the diagonal parts? You should create a diagonal mountain base tile that is overlayed on top of grass. It's just too jagged as-is.

Yoshimi:
Wow. Just wow. icon_biggrin.gif You're doing an excellent job here. It's just a T-intersection, but what an intersection it is. And yes, this mixture of tilesets just works really well.

Are you using my new Minish Cap Octoroks? If not, check them out. They might have some additional sprites you could use ("spitting" sprites, specifically).

Koh:
It's all right for what is apparently a custom tileset, but it's just a little, well, dull for Zelda. I think the browns should have higher contrast (darker darks and maybe lighter lights). I could say the same about the greens, but also, either make the greens a little more vivid, or darken them. Right now they're light but drab.

Naldrag:
Ho-hum. icon_neutral.gif Classic mountains and scattered bushes, ZQuest shot. Not much going on here.

Gonken:
Hey, lookin' really good. icon_smile.gif I didn't know you were working on this. How's the project going?

It's a perfectly good tile demo shot, but I usually don't vote for those in SOTW, since they tend to be more about the tiles than the design. Still, nice work.

Yoshidude:
Like Yoshimi, this is just a T-intersection with some Octoroks. However, there isn't really anything to showcase here. If you don't have much to interact with on a screen, at least have something to look at.

You could fit this idea in a narrower area. It would make the Octoroks more of a challenge and would leave room for more scenery.

It was between Yoshimi and blue_knight. I voted for Yoshimi. icon_smile.gif

#7 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

I voted for Yoshimi. Hate to say it, but I think I'm a real sucker for MC graphics. icon_teehee.gif

#8 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

William - B+
Another good GB screen. Nice job.

blackbishop89 - D
It feels like you really had no interest in making the screen, and thus you got it done to simply get in a submission. Where is the passion in this?

blue_knight - A-
An excellent sidescroller forest, taking a similar kind of screen from AoL and shooting for the moon. The golden tower's entrance is just hinted at there, as it doesn't take away from the nearby environment.

Nolornbon - C-
It's not very interesting, and that orange doesn't look right with that green.

Yoshimi - A
This is very nice. Excellent detail for a very walkable screen, and a bridge that is both very well placed and led to well by the stones in the ground. Love the sense of elevation created by the bridge that otherwise wouldn't look as deep. This screen was very well thought out, and gets my vote.

Koh - B-
Interesting choice of graphics, although not close to being my favorite. The upper corners of the lake under the waterfall makes that look a bit artificial. The bridge on the right looks a bit unsound for one, but your choices may have been limited there. Some of the ground details look a bit more random than with a purpose beyond simply having the detail. Not a bad screen, but there is room to make it look less awkward.

Naldrag - C+
Classic, with some extra ground details, which makes it okay. Also, the editor tools are a distraction. It's better to leave that out, especially for something like SotW. It also would have been nice to see either an enemy or our protagonist.

Gonken - B
I'm guessing this screen is somewhere on the western edge of an overworld, telling from the design of the west side of it. Otherwise, you have plenty to account for in a screen to the left of it. I like the overall design of the road surrounded by grass layout, although it would look better if the part near the stairs was better aligned with it, considering where the foot traffic tends to be. A good screen for the most part, but it could use an enemy or protagonist.

Yoshidude - B+
Great detail again for a very walkable screen. It isn't the most interesting thing I have seen, but it plays its part excellently and probably blends in well with the rest of the overworld.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(blue_knight @ Nov 28 2011, 03:01 AM) View Post

Had I not entered, Yoshimi would get my vote. It uses a very nice bright palette while still managing to avoid looking washed out. I like the bridge graphics, water and trees... though I'm not sure about the grass, that's probably my only complaint.
I'm actually surprised people think the palette is good. I have a hard time putting toghether palettes (which is funny, because with tradional medias such as paint or watercolours I have a really good hand for colours if I say so myself) and thus I'm never quite fond of my results. I might just have to make some more palettes so I get a feeling for things. I agree about the grass, it's looking kind of really funky. I'm already considering switching to something else but I haven't decided on anything quite yet.

QUOTE(Radien @ Nov 28 2011, 03:31 AM) View Post

Yoshimi:
Wow. Just wow. icon_biggrin.gif You're doing an excellent job here. It's just a T-intersection, but what an intersection it is. And yes, this mixture of tilesets just works really well.

Are you using my new Minish Cap Octoroks? If not, check them out. They might have some additional sprites you could use ("spitting" sprites, specifically).

It was between Yoshimi and blue_knight. I voted for Yoshimi. icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif It's actually quite fun to put the thing together and I spend the better part of my weekend on ZC due to this. That's actually a bad thing because I'm supposed to learn brain anatomy and all these fun things for uni (pun? -no, I actually enjoy physiological psychology eventhough it's pretty biological).

I am not yet. Though I'm very much considering it. I might actually shoot you a PM.

QUOTE(HeavyTitanium @ Nov 28 2011, 03:57 AM) View Post

I voted for Yoshimi. Hate to say it, but I think I'm a real sucker for MC graphics. icon_teehee.gif

Thank you for the vote icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Nov 28 2011, 04:14 AM) View Post

Yoshimi - A
This is very nice. Excellent detail for a very walkable screen, and a bridge that is both very well placed and led to well by the stones in the ground. Love the sense of elevation created by the bridge that otherwise wouldn't look as deep. This screen was very well thought out, and gets my vote.

I just noticed I forgot to put shadows under the bridge. That's rather stupid of me. :/ Anyways, thank you for the kind words, sir. It is indeed quite thought out, by the way. Prior to making this screen, I made another version of a bridge-screen like this but decided that it's not looking quite how I wanted it to so I remade it (though making the first one was a great help in terms of feeling for the tile placement).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
IPB Image
Please do not consider this when voting.
This is Evile's grass. I like it, it's kind of "easier", as in, it's not as cluttered. I think I'll stick with it. Also, the bushes are by Bourkification. Do you think they look better than the tMC ones? I also put a shadow under the bridge real quick. Thoughts?

Edited by Yoshimi, 28 November 2011 - 03:41 AM.

#10 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Nov 27 2011, 08:31 PM) View Post

Gonken:
Hey, lookin' really good. icon_smile.gif I didn't know you were working on this. How's the project going?

It's going very good! I have palettes for all areas and many pages of tiles and I'm almost done with all overworld tiles. This screen was conjured during importing some tiles.

#11 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Voted Yoshimi. VERY reminiscent of Relic's work from a few years back, right down to the muted palette... but that's not a bad thing icon_razz.gif

EDIT: Just for comparison:

Yoshimi:
IPB Image

Relic:
IPB Image IPB Image

Edited by NoeL, 28 November 2011 - 07:58 AM.

#12 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

What makes it look similar is pretty much the Minish Cap graphics next to the BS mountains (and other BS graphics). I liked that very much in Relic's stuff (actually, that was before my time and I stumbled upon it while browsing the (outdated) SotW archieve) and thought "Hey you might do something like that yourself". The palette was in fact put together referencing his colour choices. Right now I'm creating new palettes inspired by SkywardSword:
IPB Image
(^that'd be Eldin Volcano.)

Edited by Yoshimi, 28 November 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#13 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

I like Yoshimi's mixture of different styles into his screen. I like the fact that they are in perfect unison with one another and they don't style-clash.

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

I voted for Yoshimi! I would also have to agree with NoeL, that your work is strongly resembles Relic's work, which is pretty awesome, as he always had wonderful screens! icon_biggrin.gif

#15 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

very very hard to decide, there are lots of great shots...
But in the end, I voted for Williams oracle-picture. ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users