Photo

Screenshot of the Week 342

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 342 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:30 AM

Sorry about getting this up so late everyone.... icon_frown.gif I completely spaced it off, after not doing it for so long. I will remember from now on, and if I have to I will put a reminder in my phone to remind me to post it. Won't happen again. But here are this weeks screenshots for you to enjoy!

Nolornbon
IPB Image
Link thought that by having the gold ring and the master sword, he was invincible. Within the depths of a vast temple, eight fire maidens proved how wrong he was. They blasted him with their exploding fireballs, and Link died soon after this shot.

blue_knight
IPB Image
Bats!

Jared
IPB Image
Hoorah for another generic DoR forest screen!

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Nolornbon (Grade: C): Looks alright, but there's too much going on on the screen.
Blue_Knight (Grade: C): Nice tiles (which seem to be from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, correct?), but it's a pretty bland and boring screen.
Jared (Grade: C+): Nice shot overall, but no enemies, no trees, or anything. Needs some obstacle somewhere in the center, like a couple of trees.

Went with Nolornbon, because the screen has potential, but there's too much stuff going on.

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Nolornbon:

Hmmm. This is one of those screenshots that is so confusing as a freeze frame that it doesn't do much for the game. Perhaps this screen is fantastic in motion, perhaps it is terrible. I really have no way of knowing. But one thing's for sure: I didn't know the poofs of smoke and fire were being caused by those ladies until I read the description.

Also, are you really going to have that much life?... That really seems like going overboard...

blue_knight:

Ahaaa, this screen. icon_biggrin.gif I hadn't thought about it before, but I'm so glad you entered this. It looks fantastic even without seeing it in motion. I have no suggestions! Just keep it up!

...Okay, one suggestion: you are underselling your screen. Bats are not, by far, the most exciting thing here. icon_wink.gif (Just kidding; it's really not that important.)

Jared:

I hate it when people bash their own shots right as they post them. icon_confused.gif I know you're just guarding yourself so you won't feel bad if you don't do well, but stop it. At the very least, try not to say much and see how people react naturally.

Anyway, I don't really see this as too generic, although it DOES seem incomplete, since there's nothing here but the mountains and the greenery.

The mountains look very good, except that you need to make some more use of the regular diagonal tiles. You see that tall ridge just right of the center? The diagonals? You're ending the diagonal where you don't need to. It can all be one smooth diagonal ridge if you want it to be.

One funny thing about calling this a generic forest screen: There are no trees. I see the shadows, but you might want to add one or two trees as a remnant of what is casting the shadows. Plus, if this is the edge of the forest, you should swap out the dark palette once Link exits the wooded area.

I voted for blue_knight. icon_smile.gif Is this his first SotW? Because if he hasn't won before, I hope this will be his first win, because that screen deserves it.

#4 )-( Marchland Malady )-(

)-( Marchland Malady )-(

)M( Still No Tombs In The Sims 4 )M(

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

I guess I'll just go for sheer environment beauty next time. Not to many screens this time, but it looks like blue_knight might win with mine in second place. Nice job with the screens there, though Jared's does look rather empty.

#5 blue_knight

blue_knight

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Koh - no, the tiles don't come from any released games.

Radien - Yeah I wanted to show the underground water and other enemies but didn't get that stuff done in time. icon_smile.gif It also needs decorations but I'm holding off on that stuff until the layout is complete. Oh and this is my second SotW, I entered last week's as well.

Edited by blue_knight, 26 October 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Nolornbon: Great job on making an ornate looking dungeon using the classic style.
I also like the exciting action in this screen. It is an exciting moment in the story,
and even though we aren't sure what led up to this event, it makes us all the more
curious. Great storytelling. I don't feel the caption was necessary.
*voted*

blue_knight:
As amazing as this quest and tileset are, especially in motion, there isn't much
going on in this shot. I feel like I'm traveling between points of interest, rather
than looking at something important or interesting.

Jared: It feels empty, that's not a bad thing if there was something in the screen
to feel the emptiness, a lone tree, or a statue, for instance. Perhaps add a vine
to the wall directly under the center of the map.

Edited by Cukeman, 26 October 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Nolornbon - I like it a lot. It's a bit ominous and foreboding, and I just like the feel it gives off. Voted for this one.

blue_knight - It looks pretty good, but... it's just a cave shot. I really like it, but there doesn't seem to be enough going on here. Well done, regardless.

Jared - This seems incomplete. Maybe it is, but there's less going on here than in blue_knight's shot. I don't know what it is; maybe some more detail in places? An overlay? Something? Not sure but... it just feels... ... bloody empty. [/Jack Sparrow]

#8 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

The First Guy
I like this one. It's simple, but has a lot going for it. Looks pretty fun. Voted for this.

wow those sure are graphics

erf
It's another generic DoR forest screen. Those mountains are horrible and there's nothing about it that catches my eye in a good way at all.

#9 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Nolornbon won my vote because it's the most original and good looking.

#10 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

Nolornbon
I voted for this because DAMN you made classic look good. I like this a lot. Is this for a quest or just a random mock up? 9.5/10
blue_knight
Were I voting on best scripting thingy ever, I would definitely vote for your screen. As it stands, it's very pretty but a bit too empty. 8/10
Jared
Sure is generic. That's not a bad thing. In a quest this screen would fit in fine. It just isn't SotW material. 7/10

#11 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

I went and voted for blue_knight. I like all the shots this week. Nolornbon has an interesting screen, and I'm sure if it's in action, it is pretty nice. Jared's screen has a nice setup to it, but it is lacking detailing, but I am betting it'll look great when you add some details to the screen. Not too much going on in blue_knight's screen, but the custom tiling is great, and just the ability for him to be making this in the ZC engine just blows my mind.

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, I have no idea why I did so badly this week....icon_lol.gif
I'll do better next!

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 26 2011, 07:09 AM) View Post
I voted for blue_knight. icon_smile.gif Is this his first SotW? Because if he hasn't won before, I hope this will be his first win, because that screen deserves it.

Doh, I have a bad memory. icon_doh.gif I forgot that blue_knight won last week, too. Oh well. I voted for both of them. icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Jared @ Oct 26 2011, 10:24 PM) View Post
Yeah, I have no idea why I did so badly this week....icon_lol.gif
I'll do better next!

It's because there's nothing on the screen but mountains and grass, and a little bit of water. icon_shrug.gif It's a great tile demo, but not a great screen. Next time try thinking of something interesting to have going on in the screenshot. Puzzles, fighting enemies, and dodging obstacles are all Zelda staples... Or at least try to show a new environment that nobody has seen before, like blue_knight did this week.

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Oct 27 2011, 06:34 AM) View Post

It's because there's nothing on the screen but mountains and grass, and a little bit of water. icon_shrug.gif It's a great tile demo, but not a great screen. Next time try thinking of something interesting to have going on in the screenshot. Puzzles, fighting enemies, and dodging obstacles are all Zelda staples... Or at least try to show a new environment that nobody has seen before, like blue_knight did this week.

No, I mean I don't know why I made my screen so badly this week...

#15 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

Nolornbon - 17 votes = 43.59%
blue_knight - 21 votes = 53.85%
Jared - 1 vote = 2.56%

Total Votes: 39

blue_knight
IPB Image
Bats!