Photo

Screenshot of the Week 332

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (58 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

Chris Miller
IPB Image
What manner of enemy hath no face.?

Pabru
IPB Image
Enter the Forest of Nightmares

Pokemonmaster64
IPB Image
What manner of madness is this!?

King Harkinian
IPB Image
Dungeon shots. I think they are my strong point in screen design.

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

YOU MEAN I FORGOT TO ENTER?! icon_frown.gif
*cry cry*

Chris Miller - I feel like this can't even be counted for. Sorry. 0/10

Pabru - I like the design, but the palette is...very weird...7/10

Pokemonmaster - AMAZING. 8/10

King Harkinian - Best screen of the week. Nice design. very different. Could you PM me on how to make those kinds of puzzles, too? I never knew how icon_frown.gif

Voted for KH icon_biggrin.gif Good job.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

Despite the overly purpleish palette, Pabru's shot still wins my vote for its overall design.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Oh well. Gimmicks won't win me this one...inb4 pabru wins by a landslide.

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Chris Miller: Looks like you are going for a dark dungeon, but even so the palette could be
more varied - especially in the walls. And the design is very plain.

Pabru: The palette is perfect for a nightmare. I like the figure Link is walking towards
(Final Fantasy right?) and it's a good design, plenty of growth that makes it feel like a
real forest, I just have a pet peeve about having to walk under canopies to get to the
next screen. It feels like stumbling around trying to find what is walkable.

Pokemonmaster64: I guess you had to bring these tiles into Zelda Classic, but aside from
putting Link in the shot, there isn't really any part of this design that you are responsible for.

King Harkinian: I don't care for the palette, but the screen is interesting.

EDIT: Voted for Pabru, even though I love the GBC tileset, the walls in the lower right
corner don't look right; why does the wall fold back around, when there is no room to go between
the walls? Doesn't make sense.

Edited by Cukeman, 10 August 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

I feel like Screenshot of the Year is just going to be all Pabru. icon_xd.gif Voted for him. I actually kind of like the palette.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Pabru wins this round for all around amazing design. Harkinian's a close runner up, but it lacks a certain feel that Pabru's has.

#8 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

Pabru FTW!

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

Chris Miller - It's... empty. There's really not much to say here. It's got a good shape, but there's not much to it. Even an official game would have more to it than this. Some kind of detail, rubble, something.

Pabru - Excellent shot. Very well done, and the palette gives it an almost ambient feel to it. Kinda eerie, yet provoking. And the design is excellent. The only issue I can see is there's a bush on the left side of the screen, right at the edge. This is a no-no. Otherwise, this got my vote.

Pokemonmaster64 - You copied the World 1 Map of Super Mario Bros. 3 exactly and stuck Link in it. There's nothing original about this, because it's not your work.

King Harkinian - This is a pretty good dungeon shot. I like. Looks like a very good puzzle comes into play here, as well. Close second place shot. Well done. icon_smile.gif

#10 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

Voted for Pabru. None of the rest appealed to me much.

Chris Miller: This isn't worthy of SotW. Some tiles are used in wrong Csets and it's empty. Add plenty of floor decorations and at least add in a border. 2/10.

Pabru: The best of the lot by far. It suits the atmosphere perfectly. One problem with this is how the transparent overhang cuts off near the right edge of the screen. 9/10.

Pokemonmaster: This isn't your work. This doesn't even look like a Zquest shot. This can easilly be accomplished by taking the snapshot of the screen, with the sprite layer off and then pasting the Link tiles in an image editing program. 0/10.

King Harkinian: Easilly the second best here, looks very much how a Nintendo screen would look like. I can't see any flaws, but it doesn't appeal to me very much. 6/10.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Aug 8 2011, 01:09 AM) View Post

Pokemonmaster: This isn't your work. This doesn't even look like a Zquest shot. This can easilly be accomplished by taking the snapshot of the screen, with the sprite layer off and then pasting the Link tiles in an image editing program. 0/10.

I'm perfectly fine with people saying that it's no good because it isn't my work. I'm not fine with people claiming that I didn't make the screen legitimately. I can assure you that I did rip all the tiles in and if you want to continue doubting me, I can send you the quest file. I'd also like to point out that if you look at the actual map, you can see that the colors are different because I used Zelda 1's palette. You're free to hate on the screen, but don't try to deny the effort I made to create it.

In fact, anyone else wants proof? Here's your proof: http://www.mediafire...pspyjto01lkckom

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 08 August 2011 - 02:57 AM.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

Voted Pabru. The palette is way too monotone, but there wasn't much competition this week icon_shrug.gif

#13 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:48 AM

I voted for Pabru, I guess I'll give a little review or whatever

Chris Miller your screen is a basic freeform dungeon screen, not too much to say about it. It doesn't exactly "catch the eye" in this one

King Harkinian that's really good. It's a close second.

Pokemonmaster64, although you said that "but don't try to deny the effort I made to create it." I don't really see the effort. I've ripped Ninja Gaiden sprites before and entered them in SoTW but then I realized that was a big mistake, it took like 10 minutes but that's really not effort. It's just the SMB3 map which has been previously designed before in a game that you're trying to use with a Link sprite over it,

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:56 AM

Went with a gimmick/nostalgia shot. Wasn't be the first, won't be the last. I put about as much time putting my screen for this week together as I have for any other week. Maybe I just don't put enough effort into stuff...

#15 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Chris Miller - C+
I have nothing against purple at all. In fact, I love how it gives that atmosphere a nice spook factor. I love the subscreen portion, which certainly reminds me of your Lands of Serenity Quest. However, the screen design is okay, as there isn't that much detail.

Pabru - A
What are the odds of getting two purple screens? It certainly does give a nice means of comparison of where one can go with that. I am really liking the overall screen design on this one, and proves you can do a lot with something that is conceptually so simple. Gives a night-like feel, with perhaps some emphasis on twilight without seeing it directly. Easy vote for me this time.

Pokemonmaster64 - D
I like remakes of screens from other NES games, especially from among my favorite games, but I have to admit that I think it is far from ideal for SotW. Almost all of the work was in finding all the graphics you needed and putting together something that was already made before, but just in a different program. So I can't give much, because there really isn't much creativity in making such a screen. Kudos on being able to do it, though.

King Harkinian - B+
For GBC graphics, I think this was well put together. It's a very functional screen, and does well with elevations. However, the palette is just a bit over the top for my tastes, as you can tell the very dramatic nature of the reds, blues, and yellows.

Oh, and...
QUOTE(Jared)
Chris Miller - I feel like this can't even be counted for. Sorry. 0/10

Harsh, man. Harsh. Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Personally, I would only give 0 (if I still rated that way) if somebody submitted a blank screen or was very clearly attempting to troll the event (which is certainly not the case here). The effort is still there in making the screen, but it just isn't an interesting screen due to not that much detail, so he at least deserves a little bit of credit. After all, he did give the room some shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users