Photo

Screenshot of the Week 330

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (54 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Pabru
IPB Image
Welcome to Dreamland

Jared
IPB Image
Looks like I need a weapon. Hopefully this shop has some strong ones...

King Harkinian
IPB Image
Link's taking a peaceful walk through the forest...

William
IPB Image
Link enters into a dark, unknown forest. What secrets and adventures await him inside? Only time can tell. (I'm trying something I've never seen done before with the Classic tileset, a forest with a canopy.)

Yoshidude
IPB Image
Link wonders how he will get past that broken bridge... (REMADE SCREEN FROM SCREEN REBIRTH 65)

Lightwulf
IPB Image
In the bustling market on Seafarer Island, Link pauses to check out the pool...
...while the twin brothers on the other side jabber away about something or other.

Cukeman
IPB Image
Hole of "Z" with custom subscreen

Lithium
IPB Image
When I look at you, oh, I don't know what to feel. Once in a while.
  • RyanIsWrong likes this

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

I voted for Pabru. He and William's screens are the only functional screens this week.

#3 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Cukeman's is my favorite this week, I just didn't like the other screens as much.

Also, Dawnlight how is my screen not functional?

Edited by Yoshidude, 24 July 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#4 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Pabru - I don't see what so "amazing" about it. I really like the design. But the colors are so....I don't know. I don't like them. 6/10

King Harkinian - Meh. Too basic, and empty. Sorry. Great design though. 6/10

William - Grrr....9/10

Yoshidude - How cheap! icon_razz.gif Just kidding. Nice palette and design. 8/10

Lightwulf - Wow. Love the tiles. Just close the corners!!! *cornerraeg* 9/10

Cukeman - AHA!! That's what your subscreen was from!!! Remake? Hopefully! icon_biggrin.gif 10/10

Lithium - I like the design, but everything seems so mixed. A ot of the tiles are in the wrong set. 7/10

#5 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

Ahh, very much better this week. More pleasing to the eyes.

Pabru:
I really like this shot.Great detail, nice palette despite the ugly purple mountains, only thing is that it's quite crowded. Those bushes could go to make more space. 8/10

Jared:
Very nice. Very simple, but the awesome graphics make up for it. I'd hate to do this, but I vote for you. 8.5/10

KingHarkininian:
It's way to emplty. You need to put more obstacles and other stuff in the middle. There is a big lack of detail as well. 6/10

Will:
Nice Classic shot as usual. I don't think the overhang is really necessary, but it's got good design and detail so my mind is taking off of it. 8/10

Yoshi: Nice nice nice my brother icon_wink.gif 7.5/10

Lightwulf:...*Hand palms* There is pretty much nothing on this screen. All 4 corners are open, not really any detail, The fountain lacks shading and proper coloring. sorry bud, I just don't like it icon_unsettled.gif 3/10

Cukeman: An excellent MC screen. It's a bit on the crowded side, but again the graphics have giving your screen mercy. 7.5/10

Lithium: It's lacking detail and good tile use. I don't like the transition from grass to sand. It looks bulky. It's got pretty nice design, but the appeal just isn't there. 7/10

Much nicer display this week. You guys all deserve medals of some sort icon_smile.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 24 July 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#6 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Pabru's is good, I like the Kirby tileset or whatever it is. Jared was a close 2nd though.

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I really liked jared's screen shot this week
good job icon_biggrin.gif
everybody else's looks alright....

#8 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Pabru won my vote this week. I actually really like the palette. I don't think I'd be able to handle playing in that sort of setting for an extensive period, but it works great for the shot. Not to mention great design.

Jared, I feel like the bottom corners are nicely done, but everything else seems a bit rushed. I'm not saying you didn't try, though. Nice job, all together.

King Harkininian, clump your trees closer together and make them more...sporadic. Also, make your paths less square. It'll help make them look more natural. Add a bit more ground detail and you're golden.

William, I absolutely hate classic. I hate it. Buuut you always manage to pull it off very well. Granted, you've made edits to the tiles, but it's still classic.

Yoshidude, not a bad screen. My only suggestion would be to add a cloud outlining the mountains. I think it'd give the screen a cooler feel, and make it more eye-catching.

Lightwolf, I'm not the type to preach about open corners, but since this is so empty, I'd advise filling them in at least. Also, maybe add some variety in the rock/walkway.

Cukeman, I love your subscreen. A lot. I also like the way you recreated the area. No complaints, really. Good job.

Lithium, the whole grass-sand thing looks a tad awkward. Maybe if there were more sand patches and it was a duller green?

#9 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

I don't like what I see from anything this week. So insert short simple message, ending with: Null'd.
Just kidding.

Pabru - 7/10
I love the organization and the overall design. Very nice to see another well done gameboy screen.

Jared - 8/10
Beautiful tileset, and very good design with it. It feels real, which is something that a tileset all by itself can't do, but you certainly have it here. I love that roof detail, which is something you don't see that often in ZC. I even compliment the dirt patches.

King Harkinian - 4/10
It's not the worst thing I have seen by a longshot, but it just isn't appealing to me. While I am not against using orange, and I am all for the autumn look, this goes overboard with that one color, mainly because of the large amount of solid orange in the screen. It just isn't pleasing to the eyes. The organization of the trees could be better planned, as it gives me the impression that the screen was thrown together quickly. Three or more consecutive trees in perfect alignment (as we see twice going north/south) usually looks unnatural. The best this screen has going for it I think is the shape of the transition between the two ground colors. However, the overall design could use some work, mainly better detail.

William - 8/10
Your work with classic continues to be impressive. Where others feel limited, you prove that there is much more that can be done.

Yoshidude - 8/10
A nice looking in-play screen. It has some nice action to it, and everything seems to fall into place well. The ground details are very good, and the hole in the bridge in front of the waterfall is very well placed.

Lightwulf - 4/10
A pool is an interesting concept for a screen, but a pool alone is not enough to complete the screen. The rest of the screen lacks variety and is thus not interesting and thus doesn't help support the star attraction of the screen. Two or more open corners usually don't look good for a screen (and this has all four open), and this one doesn't really give it a reason to be like that.

Cukeman - 7/10
I like these graphics, and I like the idea of a hedge maze with a rolling boulder trap. You don't get to see that often. There are a few things that bug me about the screen to thus prevent me from putting it among the favorites of this week, though. Tree stumps trapped in corners or surrounded by walls on more than one side rarely look good to me. Also, what appears to be a grass ramp looks kind of confusing, but that is probably because you didn't leave enough room for it to require the space for it to look better. I love the placement of the trees. Also, that subscreen is awesome.

Lithium - 6/10
The details look okay overall. The transitioning between the grass and the sand is decent. However, I'm not a fan of that particular choice of grass, possibly because of what it is being mixed with, but I wouldn't know unless I saw it in other screens as well. I love the transparency of the water and that blue/grey shade for it seems to work well, as it certainly adds a nice extra touch to a beach atmosphere.

Tough decision again. I chose Yoshidude, as it is a great in-action design with a lot going for it, despite it not having the most advanced graphics, which is perfectly okay.

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jul 24 2011, 05:12 PM) View Post
...Pabru...and William's screens are the only functional screens this week.

I beg to differ, mine is fully functional (as soon as I get a script to open a treasure chest from above.)
The large rock will simply be a large trap that moves in a pattern. Yup. Fully functional.

Pabru: I really like this, I just can't bear to look at it very long - the colors strongly affect my eyes.
If you could tone it down, just the tiniest bit, I think I could handle it. I agree with Keiichi123 though,
you could stand to lose a bush or two. I think it would be a cool idea if you had to bomb that skeleton
to get to the keyhole.

Jared: I don't really have any comment, I'm not really into that graphical style, nice as it is.

King Harkinian: I've seen much better from you. Particularly your recent Screen Rebirth entry.
As others have said overlap your trees more and make the whole thing less squarish. It is almost as
if your screen was split down the middle.

William: I'm a fan of your redone classic work in general, but I'm not really into this.
Link doesn't stand out very well, and the trees aren't overlapping too well, or there are too many.

Yoshidude: It's nice. I wish one or two small things in your screen were brightly colored,
but no biggie. That transition of the grass going over the cliff looks a little strange.

Lightwulf: I love the fountain and NPCs, especially the twins. Fix some of the open corners,
and give us some walking tiles among the cobblestones. I'm digging it.

me: I'm sure you can tell that this was not designed as an entry for SotW. What I did was this:
I remade the entire Kokiri Forest map using Minish Cap graphics, and this is the only screen that I
have brought into ZC so far. I might enter the whole map in the Map of the Month contest, but I don't
think it's something that's going to be finished very soon. Nonetheless, I'm very proud of it.

Lithium: The transparent water is awesome. It could be more blue, but I know very well that
transparencies are unforgiving so I won't hold it against you. I like how the crab is pinching, and the
cool mushroom dude. The only thing I don't like is how close some of the grass blades are to the
grass borders.

Nice job this week everyone icon_smile.gif

BTW, does SotM exist anymore?

Edited by Cukeman, 25 July 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#11 King Harkinian

King Harkinian

This site is still a thing?

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Cukeman, I WANT THAT TILESET!

Anyway... I do admit I did put more time into the Screen Rebirth shot than this. I did this in about 15 min, and the SR shot in at least 30, because I planned it out.

Nulled for obvious reasons. I would of gone with either Cukeman or Pabru.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

Pabru: Brilliant. Sheer brilliance.

Jared: Nothing against your screen, but the tileset looks too much like a painting to me. I can't really tell what's what.

Harkinian: It's kinda meh, honestly.

William: What you do with the classic set bewilders me. Truly. Amazing.

Yoshidude: It's okay, but the waterfall breaks the perspective. Like, if it's falling straight down, then either those platforms or vertical, or they're jutting out from the vertical face, but they appear to be neither, so it plays weird tricks on the eyes.

Lightwulf: Neat custom graphics, but it's kind of a boring shot, no offense.

Cukeman: Probably the best adaptation of OoT (or any 3D Zelda) into 2D I've ever seen. Great work! My only complaint is the line of trees on top of the cliff at the right. It looks weird.

Lithium: No complaints, it's a real good screen.

I was really torn between Pabru and William, but I ended up voting for William. But both of you, outstanding job!

#13 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Jul 24 2011, 07:24 PM) View Post

Also, Dawnlight how is my screen not functional?

It just doesn't pop for me. While it's nicely well built, there's no "wow" factor in it at all. Plus, there's a perspective error in your mountains.

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Jul 24 2011, 08:56 PM) View Post

I beg to differ, mine is fully functional (as soon as I get a script to open a treasure chest from above.)
The large rock will simply be a large trap that moves in a pattern. Yup. Fully functional.

What I meant is that it does not function well to me as a presentation shot. Sure it may use MC graphics, but I felt that doesn't use the tileset well enough graphically to earn you my vote. But if this was Action of the Week, you would have won my vote.

#14 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Pabru..oh my. Your creation is surreal and fresh to ZC, and the design runs smooth. Good stuff.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jul 24 2011, 08:19 PM) View Post
What I meant is that it does not function well to me as a presentation shot. Sure it may use MC graphics, but I felt that doesn't use the tileset well enough graphically to earn you my vote. But if this was Action of the Week, you would have won my vote.

Ah. Sorry I misunderstood you. I admit I didn't design it as a screenshot, it's just an attempt to recreate the original as accurately as I can. icon_smile.gif
OoT is kind of squarish to begin with, now that I think about it, which makes the conversion somewhat easier, I think.

Edited by Cukeman, 24 July 2011 - 11:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users