Photo

Screenshot of the Week 319

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (59 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

Moo2wo
IPB Image
Link wonders what a witch's hut is doing out on Lake Hylia. Guess there's only one way to find out...

MarioBrosCom
IPB Image
Wanna bet there will be at least three ZD3 shots this week?

Lynker
IPB Image
Link playhouse!! icon_w00t.gif

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

Voted for MarioBrosCom, because not only does it use pretty graphics, but it has good screen design. And action going on, albeit 8 bit. Moo2wo's was a real close second, and I cam this close to voting for it. Lynker's is okay, but the cliffs are WAY too straight, and it could use a bit more colors; it's too green right now.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

I voted for MarioBrosCom (despite him losing the bet).

*collects his winnings*

#4 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

I voted moo2wo. MarioBrosCom's shot is ruined by the tile errors and 8-bit enemies.

#5 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Voted for Moo2wo. I don't really like the palette, but the screen is very nice and just what I like. MarioBrosCom, it's a great screen and all, but I'm just not voting for any SD3 shots. Because, nothing ever stands a chance against them.

#6 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Nothing is bad for this week, but despite that, they all have their share of flaws too, some of which are probably simple fixes.

Moo2wo - 6/10
From the design standpoint, I think it's generally well done. I like the grass layout, the cliffs, and the tree distribution, and the water, which makes the majority of the screen look very nice. However, I am not a fan of that palette choice, but a lot of what you did with the screen prevents it from being revolting. I also find it funny how people who use tree stumps often tend to put them in bad places, and this is no exception here. It feels like it was there more for the sake of figuring out what else to include in the screen to add another type of tile to the mix. I just don't think that tree stumps look good being right up against a lot of taller things most of the time. Replace it with a bush or even more grass (or something smaller than a stump), and I think that will make the screen look a tad better.

MarioBrosCom - 7/10
I was tempted to give this 8, but certain flaws prevent me from doing so. I certainly love the tileset choice and the design of the cliffs, ground, and trees. The main problem though is very obvious to me: Why are you using classic link and classic enemies when everything else about the screen is graphically more advanced? They just don't mix well. I don't give more than 7 unless everything about the screen remains consistent. Luckily such improvement is limited to replacing the tile choices for link, the moblins, and the arrow. So overall, for the goal of something breathtaking: close, but no cigar. icon_wink.gif

Lynker - 5/10
Not terrible by any means, but it does feel uncomfortable to me in general, because I think it seems to disrespect nature. First off, the north and eastern grass lack variety. The northwest cliffs due to their very straightness look unnatural. It also looks as if the cliffs were made to be compatible with the treehouse, when in reality the manmade tends to have to be compatible with what is natural and thus was there before anything else. I think the best way to approach such a screen is to first design how it would look without the treehouse, cave entrance, and anything else that was made or manipulated by man, as if understanding what it originally looked like before those were built, and only afterwards trying to put those in. Such an approach I think would help anything in a more advanced tileset look better. icon_smile.gif

As for the subscreens, I wasn't really impressed by any of them. First subscreen, while custom, looks awkward to me, mainly due to the white text on a lighter background. The second of course lacks one, and the third is standard. So if it came down to that for me (luckily it didn't), I couldn't rely on that.

While it certainly still can be improved on, my vote goes to MarioBrosCom, since I think it has the the most superior design of the three, not because of the tileset being used, but rather how well you used the tileset (minus the sprites), since it doesn't look like something that is easy to design correctly. I think all screens stand a chance regardless of the tileset used, if people also look at more than just the tileset, which I think most people here do. After all, the more complex the graphics, the more ways they can be misused. Certainly true for DoR, and certainly true for those graphics too.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:11 AM

Moo2wo got my vote. May I suggest replacing those BS-water-grass-transitions with the tMC ones? These work, but they aren't exactly pretty nor flowing well with the rest of the graphics.
MarioBrosCom, I sense a few tile errors. Also, the mountains are ment to be used in Cset 3. Bright green stones should've made you wonder, actually. But other than that and the 8bit sprites, it's pretty nice, I guess. When working with SD3 tiles, I highly recommand referencing maps of SD3. It might not be too hard to use the tileset but it's easier to do it wrong.
Finally, Lynker. It looks kind of off to me. I neither like the choice of tiles nor the layout, soory. Which doesn't mean it's not a good screen, it's an okay DoR screen I guess. I never was much into DoR, you know?

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:14 AM

Voted for Moo2wo's - it's the best in design wise. The only thing that bugs me is that the outlines needs to be darkened a bit.

#9 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Apr 25 2011, 02:11 AM) View Post

MarioBrosCom, I sense a few tile errors. Also, the mountains are ment to be used in Cset 3. Bright green stones should've made you wonder, actually. But other than that and the 8bit sprites, it's pretty nice, I guess. When working with SD3 tiles, I highly recommand referencing maps of SD3. It might not be too hard to use the tileset but it's easier to do it wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I was convinced that those rocks were supposed to be vines, especially since it looked like the other growths around them were a part of the vine structure.

#10 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

Moo2wo's shot impressed me the most. Apparently, I wasn't the only one that liked it. icon_rolleyes.gif Mind if I ask where you got the MC water tiles?

#11 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Zenith @ Apr 25 2011, 03:26 PM) View Post

Mind if I ask where you got the MC water tiles?

Giggidy made some recently ask him.

As for the contest, MarioBrosCom's tiles far surpass his sprites to earn my vote. The other two submissions looked equally appealing though (these get better every week).

#12 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

@Zenith: I made the diagonal tiles myself; the rest are Giggidy's.

Thanks to all those who voted for me! Also, MarioBrosCom, I'd rather have no enemies rather than 8-bit enemies. icon_unsettled.gif

#13 Aaron The Great

Aaron The Great

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Voted for Moo2wo.
MarioBrosCom, the 8-bit sprites just don't work with SD3.
Then again, SD3 makes everything else look atrocious.

#14 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

Voted for MBC for the hilarity of combining Z1 and SD3.

#15 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

I love that screen Moo2Wo, it gives very much the same feeling as you get playing through Lake Hylia in TMC. I think you should change the LttP witches hut to the one from TMC though, it's in the DoR 2.0 tileset so should be easy to rip in Pure Remembrance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users