Photo

How long does it take you to make a ZQuest screen?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenmaking Time

How long does it take you to make an average screen in ZQuest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

So yeah, I was kind of wondering about this. How long does it take you, on average, to make a screen* in ZQuest? I'm about 41-45 min.

*"making a screen" is actually putting down combos in ZQuest.

#2 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

I'm going with 21-25 minutes. Of course, if I am using several different types of trees or making a particularly difficult screen (such as a screen in-between two or more pre-made screens) then it is bumped up to 26-30.

#3 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:56 PM

It depends heavily on what tileset you're using; but on average I'd have to say 26-30 minutes.

#4 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

It takes me 5 to ten minutes to make a good simple screen. But it takes me forever to figure out if I want to keep it or not icon_razz.gif

#5 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

It certainly depends on the tileset. With Classic Tiles, it can take mere minutes for me unless I'm planning something intricate.

Otherwise, I personally take time on each screen, to be sure everything is in the right place. After all, getting something done quickly isn't the same as getting it done efficiently.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

20-30 minutes, normally. Maybe shorter, if it's a simple screen or if I have a solid layout in my head. And shorter for dungeon screens, which I suck at making and generally leave fairly basic.

#7 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

Using classic, only a couple of minutes.
Using Newfirst, probably 5-10.
Pure, about 20.
DoR takes me about half an hour, which is part of the reason I avoid it.
It's a lot easier for me to keep interest in a project if I can keep moving forward at a steady pace.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

I have a tendency to stick to the DoR Tileset, but I actually tend to fiddle with the peripherals and the graphics set more than actually build things. I don't like to build things until I get my combo set into order, which includes Combo Aliases and Dungeon Carving / Relational modes, because those save a lot of time at times.

So, assuming I have everything in place, I'd say it takes me between 15 and 25 minutes to make a decent screen. I tend to not rest until everything looks decent and well occupied.

#9 Rex-Leviathan

Rex-Leviathan

Lost, Loneliness, Liberation!

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Mostly it depends on how you set up a screen, regardless of tileset. I'm at 21-25, mainly because I layer a lot, and sometimes (Most of the time) I screw something up, or it just doesn't look good to me, or even in rare occasions, I get frustrated over how the mountain is suppossed to be set up.

#10 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'm really impatient. I will rarely spend more than 10 minutes on a screen at a time. Though I do revise and refine screens when I revisit them.

#11 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

41-45 minutes. Unless I'm editing tiles for that particular screen, then it could take 1-2 hours.

There's why I've never finished a quest, let alone finished a 1st dungeon.

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

Ditto. Seriously, ... I (We?) have this habit of always wanting to accommodate anything graphically interesting or unique, situationally, that we may encounter, so have to work with new graphics (And the combos they will then be formed into...) on the screen that we didn't have before. Even something as simple as a mountain tile with one lower ground piece green grass and the other piece dirt can occupy at least two minutes of your time. Imagine doing that for every screen, seeing as how some people want to really put the care and attention to detail that their quest deserves into their work.

#13 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Moo2wo @ Apr 5 2011, 09:50 AM) View Post

*"making a screen" is actually putting down combos in ZQuest.

So yeah, tile editing doesn't count. Just putting the combos on the screen.

#14 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

I'm probably somewhat out of place in posting this, but I'd equate designing a screen somewhat to writing a paper. You can't just sit down and write. You have to have both some idea of what you're writing about, and the relevant resources to write the paper as well. If you don't have anything to write about, you can't write a good paper, and if you don't have the resources to write the paper, your paper will be quite lacking. Same concept goes to screen design. If you don't have the tiles that you need, how can you put down combos? It will be obvious that you're faking whatever you need to do to make your design work.

Time is constant, whether you're putting down combos or drawing tiles. It's the same "time." You apply time to both. If it takes you 20 minutes for one screen, and 30 minutes for a similar screen, making the difference was that there was one or two tiles that you had to make to fill in the gaps.

#15 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:28 PM

16-20 for me, i use pure remembrance, aka, the dor pure hybrid, i can generally get a very nice set up with the placement of combos when I just go at it and fix it as I go along until it goes smoothly with the feel I am looking for. forests and fields are my specialty, dungeons are a thing that I got good at making when I fiddled around with remaking Dawnlight's SoD quest. Thanks Dawnlight! but it can depend on the tileset and preference of the user. I started out with dor and pure, so obviously i'm exceptionally good at them, thus saving me time in making screens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users