Photo

Screenshot of the Week 305

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (50 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Lynker
IPB Image
Looks like a hard road to get that rod....

Lord Settra!
IPB Image
Pic of the western-hyrule-town

ZeeLiam
IPB Image
You entered three Screen Shot of the Weeks in a row? Liam, you are a tool.

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Vote for Lord Settra!.
I love both to be honest.

And by the way, I just reentered my screen by accident, forgetting I sent it before.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Lynker - 7/10
It's a pretty good screen. While I think it could be a little more interesting, it is certainly in good taste. I was hung between 6 and 7, but ultimately I put it at 7.

Lord Settra! - 6/10
It's certainly functional, but the design is very simple, considering the generally boxy feel of it all. It's not bad, but it's not interesting either.

ZeeLiam - 7/10
A more secure 7 for me. I think the details are very good, and the design is the best among the three. A bit cramped in places, but not overdone. My vote goes here.

#4 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

I vote for ZeeLiam. It's a very good winter screen. I like Lynker's to. It's much better then the DoR overworld screens you've made.

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

Well ZeeLiam, you won my vote. But I swear, it looks very similar to a shot that was presented somewhere in 2009. I forgot who made it.

#6 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

Lynker - It's pretty good, I like it! I think the ground could use a little more detail though. More flowers, and pebbles and things would be good. Also, the rock formation could be a bit a little more random/complex.

Lord Settra - It's an alright screen, but the ground is severely lacking in detail, and the rock formation is far too square. Just spruce it up a bit and it'll look great!

ZeeLiam - Definitely an improvement over last week's screen. There's minimal tile misuse here (all I can see wrong in that department is that tall, thin tree missing its outward-facing limbs again). I'll be honest, I think this is one of the best winter GB shots I've ever seen. *Votes*

#7 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:40 AM

A new SotW has come around.

Lynker: A diffrent tileset. It looks alright and so, but this screen looks too cartoony and fairly plain. 6/10.

Lord Settra: Very bland, and simply werid. It just looks too square, try expanding it out of the screen. 4/10.

ZeeLiam: Theres a lot going on, it looks quite cramped, but there is a good deal of breather space. The snow falling also obscures the screen a bit. But, it is better than the other two screens. 8/10, voted.

#8 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

Voted for Lynker, I like to see old graphics.

#9 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

Voted for Lynker.

Lynker: I think the main flaw with this screen is that all of the area that the character can move in is mostly in the corners, but that's hard to remedy, so I wouldn't invest too much in fixing that. It's a good screen all around and the palette's nice.

Lord Settra: The grass tuft graphics should be used more sparingly and randomly. The clump of them on the edge hurts the design a bit. Also, the screen is very boxy, ZeeLiam used his mountain graphics really well, take after that.

ZeeLiam: The falling snow in it makes it hard for me to view this screen. I know it's there for good gameplay effect, but in SotW I'd honestly rather see the shot free from messy speckles, but that's my own opinion. My problem with the design is that it's cliche GB tileset design I've been seeing for years. Not to say you didn't pull it off well, but I've yet to see anyone do anything really "new" with GB graphics and feeling like I'm seeing the same screen I've seen so many others design makes it hard for me to vote here.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:26 AM

Lynker: Pretty good. Just add a tiny bit more detail to the grass (Maybe some flowers or such) and it'll be perfect.

Settra: It's okay, but too square shaped and bland.

ZeeLiam: Perfect, and nothing less. *votes*

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:32 AM

Voted for Lynker due to extrem nostalgia-flash. Great tileset. Not exactly artsy, but still.

Ebola, what's up with SotM, actually? I think there's enough for almost two runs by now? Anyways, if you get around it, I'd love to see the competion running. icon_smile.gif

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:20 AM

Okay, since this is the PSP, short and sweet wins my post type.

Lynker - It's a screen that works 8D! Hate when Link's shield hand is up for no reason, though.

Lord Settra - A bit plain, doncha think icon_wink.gif?

ZeeLiam - Lovable and not TOO cramped, voted.

#13 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:20 AM

Lynker:

Doesn't look terribly hard to me... unless those are cracktoroks.

But... wait... 4 hearts? Hmmm. Okay, I take it back; that's a bit much. You are making it rather awkward on the player to have so many predictable yet high-damage enemies.

As for screen design, everything looks pretty good, except for that spot where the brush meets the moutainside. Is it possible to walk through there? If it is, it doesn't look like it should be. If it isn't possible, though, that gap still looks weird.

Lord Settra:

Not bad, not bad. icon_smile.gif Personally, I'd ditch the small palm trees and just use the big ones, but regardless, you've got a solid Pure screen there. The only downside is that it's a little too square... but then, Pure's mountains are a little too square, by their nature. So I dunno.

ZeeLiam:

I've always liked the Gameboy tileset's winter tiles and palette. They do such a good job taking the existing tiles and making them look good with snow.

Additionally, you've got a pretty sold screen here. It's divided into three or four sections, but it still seems manageable.

My one complaint is that single combo of rocks-in-water near the southernmost part of the river. Is that unswimmable? Because it's an awkward place for it, if it isn't meant to block your way completely.

So, it looks like ZeeLiam gets my vote twice in a row. Good job!

#14 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Good work, both of you. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, my screens are a bit blank, but that's my own stile in Zelda Classic. ^^

#15 Ice Cream Link

Ice Cream Link

Ascendant

• Members

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:44 AM