Photo

Screenshot of the Week 303

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (50 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Koh
IPB Image
Koh actually entered Sotw!? And who's bright idea was it to live on a dangerous mountain!?

MoscowModder
IPB Image
So what's on the other side of this river?

ZeeLiam
IPB Image

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Nulled of course, since I'm in it, but I like ZeeLiam's shot =3. Moscow, yours seems a bit too bland. I see its a river, but, it's just so...straight.

#3 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Koh: I like ST...but the shadow just doesn't work with the GB mountains. Also, I'm fairly certain that the darkened lower left mountain tile is being used incorrectly. It's supposed to be the mountain fading off into nothingness.

MM: Too much boring. You have to add at least some bushes or ground detail! There are four grass detail tiles in DoR for a reason!

ZeeLiam: Exact opposite of MM. You have crammed quite a few screens into one here.

Nulled.

EDIT: OMG SPIRAL MOUNTAIN. LIEK IN BANJO KAZOOIE. OMG MEMORIES. OMG. [/nostalgia moment]

Edited by Molten Onyx, 05 December 2010 - 11:41 PM.

#4 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

Koh "actually enters SotW" and he actually won my vote. icon_razz.gif

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Koh: Amazing. No complaints.

Moscow Modder: Too many straight lines in the cliffs, and there isn't enough screen detail.

ZeeLiam: Perfection. One of the best classic shots I've ever seen. My vote goes here.

#6 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:53 PM

Koh: I quite like it, no problems that I can see. Looks fun. Voted for you.

MoscowModder: It's like extremely bland.
Also that rock in the corner and that cloud shadow have no business being there at all icon_frown.gif

ZeeLiam: It's cool and stuff, but after looking at it for a bit, I noticed how god-awful that would be to actually use in a quest and to play on. There's like one way to do anything on that screen and everything else is all blocked off and cramped and chicken sex and fasgasgfjasklgj it just looks painful why am i rambling so much im not even using proper grammar anymore what is going on help

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

Koh - 6/10
It's a pretty good screenshot. Details are good, design is good, and things fall in place well. Not the most exciting screen in the world, but it certainly does the job. Good enough for my vote for this week, as I think it is the most superior of the three in both appeal and effort.

MoscowModder - 4/10
There is no activity, detail is lacking, and the design integrity is not there, because it looks artificial. From what I am told, DoR is a difficult tileset to work with, and this screen proves that.

ZeeLiam - 6/10
It works good for a classic shot from a design standpoint. Also, there is no activity and I am not sure if the path is wide enough for Link to get all the way through. I think you'd be fine with having just one of the three trees in the lower right being there.

#8 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

ZeeLiam got my vote, Awesome work with the classic tileset!

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

Anyone is easy with the classic set you got to do it the right way not just square and boring. But watch the flow ZeeLiam make sure its not cluttered.

Voted Koh got to love your design.

#10 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

Nulled.

ZeeLiam, unless the player is supposed to swim over to that Heart Container from the right there's no way to get it. The path is so narrow Link won't fit between ANY of those green stumps.

#11 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Koh's screen's got some solid design and looks like something I'd enjoy playing. I'm not terribly fond of the shadows, since I'm sure the purpose of those tiles wasn't for casting shadows like shown here. It's also nice seeing an old tile set make a return. icon_wink.gif

MoscowModder, it feels rather empty and straight. The rock pile on the top left seems forced, as though to just cover the corner with something. What I would do is try to reduce the amount of mountain on the bottom left area and make the mountain areas overall a little more curvy to help remedy the straight parts.

ZeeLiam, while it could be a very good screen, I find there is way too much going on here. I'd try to open it up so that the player has a little more breathing room while also making it seem a lot less cramped. I imagine enemies on this screen would be a nightmare. But I do like how you're going more 'out of the box' with the classic set, and it's always nice to see that. icon_smile.gif

#12 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

This is how the screens stack up:

Koh: Your screen OWNED everyone else's here. Lots of stuff going on without it being cluttered. The only thing I don't like is how thw shadows are used. 10/10. Voted.

Moscow Modder: Real empty, isn't this. I don't see anything going on and it is just so straight. The dark clouds have no busness here, so does the rock pile. 3/10.

ZeeLiam: This is a very cluttered screen. It hurts my eyes trying to analiyse all of the detail here and Link would get so angry that he would knock out poor Zelda (reference to Screendesigning 101). 4/10.

#13 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Koh
A well-constructed screen, but there's not much to it in terms of graphical variety. I do appreciate the use of shadows on the mountains, though.

MoscowModder
A little drab and empty, in my opinion. I think a shot like this would benefit from some mountain variety or more detailed water.

ZeeLiam
Very good use of the classic tileset. The screen's a little cramped, but it has the effect of making the area seem bigger than it actually is.

It was a toss-up between Koh and ZeeLiam, but I'm going for ZeeLiam. Good job, everybody. icon_smile.gif

#14 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

I REALLY liked Koh's! I was clean, cool, and awesome!
I didn't like yours MM, because it was bland, nothing was going on!
And ZeeLiam, your's is also great! A little cluttered, but still very great!

I voted for Koh.

#15 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

MoscowModder's is nice but.. it lacks something. icon_shrug.gif Koh, digging yours too. I'd play the quest. icon_smile.gif

Gotta vote for ZeeLiam. The overall design of the screen, despite the fact that it uses the classic tileset, really pops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users