Photo

Screenshot of the Week 271

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (32 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:33 PM

hinsburg
IPB Image
Today Hinsburg learned just how much more effort it takes to make a DoR shot than a classic shot. Aaack. >_<

MrMister
IPB Image
Logic! Who needs it? These are fire resistant trees!

MoscowModder
IPB Image
Ahhh... I love cart puzzles.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Voted for Hinsburg. It looks great. My only complaint is that the tree at the top left is meant to be a snow covered tree, not a normal tree. Otherwise, great.

MrMister: Looks a lot like Lost Isle. Nice, but it needs a little more variety with the trees. Still keep the ember trees the majority, just add a different one here and there.

MoscowModder: Gosh, you're evil. It looks like a fun puzzle, but the screen itself really isn't SotW worthy.

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

hinsburg:
Rating: 7/10, Detail: 22/21 (slightly overdone)
Overall it's a pretty good screen. I think the tree details are overdone, though. There are too many types of trees for one screen, and the large one looks like it doesn't fit in with the rest of them at all. One or two types that don't differ in size much should be enough for one screen. Reducing tree total by one from the main portion could also eliminate the sense that they are trying to be crammed into that part of the screen without a clear reason. The grass and water details look like they are done right though, as they add to the pleasantness of the screen. I like the shape of a coastlines and cliffs too.

MrMister:
Rating: 8/10, Detail: 19/21 (very good)
Looks nice for an overworld screen. The bridge feels a tad awkward next to its surroundings, mainly a transition from the bridge to the ground. But everything else fits in nicely. The entrance near the cave is crammed, but that seems to come with a sense of purpose here. I like how the orange trees are kept separate from the green ones. This also proves that no other tree types are needed to complete the look. The ground details look exactly as they should look.

MoscowModder:
Rating: 7/10, Detail: 17/21 (good)
I love cart puzzles too. I don't get to see these much, so it is nice to see them when I do. I feel as if it is possible to safely add more variety to the details, but just a tad without it going too far.

Vote goes to MrMister.

#4 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

I voted for MrMister. That is a VERY well detailed and designed pure shot. The others don't really catch my eye for this week. I would write a review, but i'm lazy icon_razz.gif

#5 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:58 PM

MrMr gets my vote.

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

hinsburg: What's with all this friggin' two-color grass? DoR has 3-color grass. Use it. NOW. icon_razz.gif

And while you're at it, layer CSet 2 grass borders over those grass/water borders...

Edit: Looking back, my comment sounds a bit negative. You actually did a pretty good job laying out this shot for just having started with DoR. But those two mistakes are ones everybody makes, so it's started to irk me.

MrMister: I voted for this shot since it has good layout and the competition isn't very good. But I still have a few issues with it.

First of all, I can ignore the fire-resistant trees and accept your alternate interpretation. However, if you're going to have lava, make it look like lava. That CSet is used for flowers. Purple lava looks more like mud (or Willy Wonka candy) than it does lava.

Otherwise, pretty good shot.

MoscowModder: You have cave walls that touch the ground with no border, and mine cart rails cutting through the walls. Doesn't look too good.

Edited by Radien, 02 September 2009 - 03:12 PM.

#7 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

In order of how I liked them:
MrMister: Yay! Pure! I voted for this primarily because the other two shots were worse, but I still like the design and such - it would be nice, as said before, if you made the lava actually redder (like in some of the Dark World palettes), but I'm not detracting your score or anything (and not just because I don't use such a system).

Hisburg: As said before, use the 3-color grass, but also strike a balance between diversity in trees and using the same tree multiple times. DoR works best, I've found, if you primarily stick to a single tree size and keep with the more normal trees more often (and keep the colors generally the same, unless you're going for an autumnal feel). I think the water's fine as it is, but should you be using tree shadows on a DMap named that?

Moscowmodder: It's rather boring, to be honest. There's no real attraction to that screen, to be honest - no floor borders or any real decorations, to be honest. The puzzle may be good... but the screen really isn't.

#8 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks guys!

I nulled because I'm in the contest.

MoscowModder - I can see you had good intentions for detail in this shot, but they fall flat due to the raw lack of detail an the very un-contrast palette.
Hinsburg - A solid shot, but as others have said there are some funny design decisions such as the meant-for-snow tree.

#9 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

I voted for MrMister. It looks the most well built in my opinion.

#10 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

Hinsburg: I can see you tried to put a lot of detail into this shot, but something about it just makes it seem... Empty. I dunno, maybe it's just me? icon_unsettled.gif

MrMister: Nice! Good attention to detail, well-built, etc. *votes*

MoscowModder: Honestly? I can't see what you're going for here. The tracks don't look good on top of the walls like that, and aside from them, the screen is almost completely empty. Almost no detail at all. I'm sure it's good in-game, but this just isn't SotW-worthy, in my opinion. Sorry. icon_frown.gif

Edited by Beta Link, 02 September 2009 - 07:56 AM.

#11 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

I almost voted for MrMister, but I don't like the color of the lava
My vote goes to hinsburg

#12 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:28 PM

Gotta tag a vote to MrMister here. It's nice seeing Pure used well again.

I was almost tempted to vote for hinsburg because I actually prefer the two-color grass, really. Not a bad shot, and excellent considering you're new to the set.

MoscowModder's shot threw me off a bit. I like the palette (I'm a big fan of deep, monochromatic palettes) but the way things were used is just a bit awkward.

#13 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

hinsburg - 9 votes = [33.33%]
MrMister - 17 votes = [62.96%]
MoscowModder - 1 vote = [3.70%]
Total Votes: 27

MrMister
IPB Image
Logic! Who needs it? These are fire resistant trees!

Congratulations MrMister on what I believe is his first SotW win! Hopefully, it's the start of a good run. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users