Photo

Screenshot of the Week 250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: ... (43 member(s) have cast votes)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Ricky of Kokiri
IPB Image
Only one way to go, and the door is blocked. Will the guards offer assistance?

Shiek
IPB Image
Forest Temple Exterior

Furion
IPB Image

#2 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

Ricky- Boring ole' Pure.

Sheik- Needs a little bit more detail, and a different palette. If I were not participating in the contest, I would vote for you ( of course, being a participant, I had to null my vote. )

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

Yep, I nulled my vote too.
I'll just say what I think like Furion did before...

Ricky- Maybe you should add more detail.

Furion: The water-area looks strange to me :\

Edit: About my palette: It's Cset3 of the OoA-Present-Palette of Ezgbz tileset. I haven't seen this Cset used ever before and so I did to make something that looks new and fresh. I like the colour somehow, but that's up to the viewer of course. About detail: I thought it's already too much icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Shiek, 06 April 2009 - 01:12 AM.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

Ricky: It's a good shot, but it just doesn't scream out SotW.

Shiek: Very good shot, but you need to use more than that one tree over and over.

Furion: Om my gosh, that's amazing! It's classic done right! So amazing! *votes*

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:30 AM

@ Russ: Hm, you're right I guess. I'll replace half of those with pegasus trees (they have to be a bit 'unormal' since it's a temple icon_wink.gif). I made it like this: there is a forest and a temple plateau: one kind of trees in the forest and another on the temple plateau, but it could be two kinds for each area, it will look less boring.
Thank you for the tip !

So far, Shiek.

#6 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

Ricky of Kokiri: Sorry, looks a little generic. icon_unsettled.gif
Shiek: I don't really like how there's many of those blocks, other than that, I think it's the most decent shot this week. *votes*
Furion: I don't know, I think I just don't like how you make the water cut off in certain areas, especially at the bottom right corner of the screen, it looks strange.

#7 Ricky of Kokiri

Ricky of Kokiri

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, I know, but it's the first fully-operative screen I've ever made (it's got secret flags and a hidden trigger and a working NPC script and tile warps to the right DMap and properly set layers, and... whoo!*), and I was hoping to get some constructive criticism on how to improve [plus I figured it wouldn't hurt to add one submission to the SotW to help move it along, since it seems to have trouble lately getting enough submissions].

*I might have forgotten undercombos for the bushes and flowers, though. I need to check that.

Shiek: Looks really good, and I like what you did with the walls. *makes a note* The colors are a little odd, but that's just my opinion. They don't necessarily look bad, just odd. My vote would go here if I wasn't participating.

Furion: It's always interesting to see people using Classic in such ways to make it look more original. This shot looks good, though the land portions in the water look off to me.

#8 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

Ricky: It's a standard Pure shot. Not much to say about it, unfortunately.

Furion: Excellent palette for an "Old World" look or Hyrule in its past. The only problem I see with it its that it's all venture and no fighting room, and the use of water tiles is incorrect - the border tiles are just too thin to be small islands.

Shiek: Definitely the best of the three. Some designs could be changed, like reducing the entrance to four combos instead of six, and changing the stone pegs to a gate. Also, I'm going to say that you don't need to go with Russ's idea - One tree is enough, as it can create a regional style instead of always having two or three different trees every time.

On the palette, it is a bit odd. The only two changes I can see that would make it a bit better would darken the darkest teal a little more, and fade the yellow a bit. Then it should look right.

#9 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Got your points.
After changing the trees to 2 sorts it really looks better now. Since they look similar it stilt looks regional. I really like it more now.
Yeah, I thought that it's too much blocks, too. I'm going to reduce them to 4 combos, and add some pillars that it'll look more like a gate.
No one likes my palette oO. Maybe I'll modify it since that yellow really hurts...
If it's not getting Off-Topic I can link a new shot here if anyone likes.

So much tips on how to improve icon_smile.gif I'll go for SotW every week now *whoo*.

#10 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

Well, the land like parts of the water is suspossed to be like a swamp, not an actuall walking area. Oh, and that shot was going to be for Screen Rebirth 2 icon_razz.gif

#11 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Furion gets my vote. The other look too symmetrical.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Furion @ Apr 6 2009, 02:33 PM) View Post

Well, the land like parts of the water is suspossed to be like a swamp, not an actuall walking area. Oh, and that shot was going to be for Screen Rebirth 2 icon_razz.gif

Is it still going to be used? I'd like to try to remake it.

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

Shiek. While the strong yellow color is really unfitting, this screen is the best of... well, a lot of weeks lately.
It actually surprised me. Good work!

#14 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Ricky of Kokiri: 4/10
It's been said: it's too basic and symmetrical to fare well in SotW.
Shiek: 7/10
Solid shot here. I agree that the yellow could be a little overbearing, but I don't actually mind the palette that much. The thing that I do mind is the lack of detail right above the gray switch blocks. Fill that with some more eyecandy and this shot could be an 8 easily. The tree monotony actually works for this shot- change it if you want, but I don't think it's gonna have that big of an impact.
Furion: 5/10
While visually more interesting than Ricky's shot, it suffers from a lack of consistency that the others don't. It seems chaotic and scattered, and there's no underlying method to it. A perfect example is your lower-right corner. The "islands" have no discernible pattern, but the mountain is perfectly square around them, leading to a major clash there. Similar examples plague the rest of the screen.

#15 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

I vote for Shiek. That shot is Awsome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users