Photo

Screenshot of the Week 233

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 233 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Here are this weeks contestants!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Here are our shots for this weeks competition!

ZebraStallion
IPB Image
Sign: There's no secret passageway anywhere nearby. There is absolutely no way to get into Hyrule Castle. Especially under that bush. Don't even think about looking in there.

Zenith
IPB Image
Unseen by the world for hundreds of years...so why do I get the feeling I've been here before?

Angeal
IPB Image
"Please, Good Sir, please find out why that man is sleeping behind my house..."

CastChaos
IPB Image
"The government cleansed Mt.Death! The water is transparent! Heil!"

Thanks for participating, and enjoy! icon_biggrin.gif

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:32 PM

Don't Really like this week. icon_cry.gif

ZS: Try overlapping some of the mountains and use different uses of detail.

Zenith: My vote goes here. The only flawless shot this week.

Angeal: Pretty basic Pure Shot. icon_shrug.gif

CastChaos: I see lots of perspective errors in your shot. Your detail is nice, but your design is just mediocre.

#3 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

Zebra - hardly any detail and everything looks too blocky

Zenith - pretty good shot, actually. Well constructed shot, looks fun. You even used dark layers and light so the sprites don't look like crap. <3 vote

also get a new subscreen >:|

Zangeal - having that tree under/on top of that other one at the bottom looks a bit awkward though. Not bad overall.

CastChaos - It looks like you threw random junk all over the screen. And why are the puddles perfectly rhombus shaped?

Edited by Lithium, 20 October 2008 - 05:40 PM.

#4 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

ZS: Looks like a bad Trimaster ripoff, sorry.
Zenith: Looks nice, dark and creepy. *votes*
Angeal: Very basic pure, something we've all seen many times before.
CastChaos: The rain looks pretty bad and there's far too much walkable area.

#5 hinsburg

hinsburg

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

ZebraStallion: Nice caption. A few more trees would have been nice, though.

Zenith: No problems here.

Angeal: Um, what? The layout is good, and now I want to find out why that guy is sleeping behind a house...

CastChaos: Like ZebraStallion, you need more trees.

Oohh... Zenith of Angeal... Zenith's doesn't have as much detail, so Angeal it is.

#6 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

ZebraStallion is the most pleasant to me. Its smooth, nice, and all around nifty to look at. The rest are blocky, repeats, or ugly. Have a good week.

#7 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

@Dawnlight: I do overlap mountains in some of my screens, just not this one.
@Lithium: I tried to stay away from too much detail, but I guess I stayed away too much.
@Evile: When has Dawnlight even made a screen anything like this?
@hinsburg: Well, I guess a few more trees couldn't hurt, your absolutely right
@Lemon: Thanks!

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

Ok people, instead of just saying, hey, your shot is a basic pure shot, perhaps you can tell me how to improve it. Ya know, I haven't entered SotW in over 2 years, so I was hoping to get a little more out of it then "Basic Shot," "BASIC PURE." So, c'mon, a little more then that would be appreciated.... icon_sweat.gif

#9 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(Evile @ Oct 19 2008, 08:12 PM) View Post

ZS: Looks like a bad Trimaster ripoff, sorry.

Not really a ripoff. He's just trying to learn how to master the usage of PTUX Mountains. Hey, I even got some of mountain ideas from DFW.

#10 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

Zebra: Looks ok, but it could use some more detail. Oh, and you missused some of those castle tiles in the top-left corner. Good though. icon_smile.gif
Zenith: Very nice MC caves. I can't really find any real flaws here. You get my vote. icon_smile.gif
Angeal: Meh, basic Pure shot. icon_shrug.gif Everything looks too square, especially the mountains.
CC: The view of the land below kinda' kills it. The perspective looks way off. Beside that though, pretty good. I like the pallette. icon_smile.gif

#11 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

If you guys are pulling the "basic pure card" I'll pull something similar...

ZebraStallion:
PTUX with few alterations, and a palette that has been used to death. Basic PTUX.

Zenith:
MC cave rips that can be found in New DoR, few to no palette/graphical alterations. Basic New DoR 2.0 cave. Seen it a LOT in recent Screenshots and SotWs

Angeal:
Basic Pure

CastChaos:
Some graphical and palette alterations, but which get drowned out by rain.

Now, that is a really pessimistic view on the screenshots, and I don't actually think of them that way. But if you guys are pulling the "basic pure" then it should only be fair if you pull the "basic anything" card as well, in which I think CastChaos would be the winner just by his unorthodox screen composition, and some tileset alterations.

Now, let me do an actual review, I'm not voting, as I don't feel like it this week.

ZebraStallion:

The attractiveness of this screen is drowned out by the lines which the screen holds. If you notice, all of the land forms follow a vertical pattern, which is also what the castle follows. The convexity of the mountains could be worked with, let me show a screenshot for what I visualize.

IPB Image
Excuse my limited knowledge on PTUX mountain usage and the low amount of ground detail that I didn't want to bother combo'ing(one thing I dislike PTUX for)

Also, when I made that shot, I lost track of myself, so excuse that last statement I made. Just try to add eye-candy to your shots. Give us something to look at.

Zenith: The screen design is there, as are the graphics. The only reason I can't appreciate this shot is that the graphics are easily found in a tileset.

Angeal: I actually like this one best. But, I say the same here as I say to Zenith.

CastChaos: Clear up the rain. Rain shots have never made good SotW shots. If you submit another shot for SotW, turn off the rain first.

I'm really tired right now, I would've given full reviews... but I can't think straight.

#12 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:54 AM

I'm going to vote for Zenith's shot because it is a stand out from the others. That, and those Keese remind me of Zubat for some reason.

And for some reason ZebraStallion's shot has that Pokemon Gold feeling. Is that the palette that's doing that?

#13 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:49 AM

Now let's rate these shots fair.

ZebraStallion
IPB Image
I see huge improvements here! And I don't, 100% don't see a SoD ripoff! You can't say it's a ripoff simply because Zebrastallion uses the same tileset and is logically forced to use the same palettes and design! Quite awesome shot, but I recommend doing something like Nuvo demonstrated.

Zenith
IPB Image
It's an awesome cave screen! Good job at this, I have no critics.

Angeal
IPB Image
It's indeed a basic shot, but it's not bad. Let's see... Lighten the black a little, make it more grey, not to much, but it's most times the major flaw of Pure csets I think... Then try some different colors for the flowers, both the slashable and the ones on the floor. Try different trees. That's all, I think, I can't see something to improve it more...

CastChaos
IPB Image
I love this screen, I just love it! I already told you that, I think, the major flaw is the weird water shapes..., The design is awesome in my opinion, I'm in love with the palette, this is a nice overlook screen.

It's a hard decision between CastChaos and Zenith, but I'll go for CastChaos because I love the palette so much. *looks dreamy*

#14 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:04 AM

Now let's continue rating these shots fair.

ZebraStallion
IPB Image
Very good for a castleside screen, good choice for detail objects at higher ledges. All you should do is to put some more things to the very south of the screen. Like, a new dirt road starting or such.

Zenith
IPB Image
Great freeform cave, true shadowing, lots of way to go. Very nice.

Angeal
IPB Image
It's an OK Pure screen. Still, you could add variety to trees (both in form and colour) and colour variety for flowers. Some rocks or what could be laid on the ground, too.

CastChaos
IPB Image
Oh no, this is mine... Then I must... null.

#15 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:45 AM

My vote goes to Zenith Nice looking pallete The name suits the cave very well.

Edited by bringer of destruction, 20 October 2008 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users