Most frustrating parts of designing a Quest

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

-Making Maps and screens. (one of my attention deficit traits*)
-Working on graphics then forgetting to save. (or getting corruption)
-Getting a cool idea that requires making a new quest. (another ADT)
-Not doing other stuff instead. (yet another one of my ADTs)
-I get bored and start implementing new stuff that I could live without.

*I don't really have full-out ADD, just some of the traits, specifically "idea diarrhea" and lack of focus.

#17 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Peteo @ Jun 17 2007, 02:12 AM) View Post

and it kills me to see the betas aren't getting any more stable or bugfree. >_<

I don't understand this line of argument, as you can go to www.shardstorm.com and see detailed proof that this statement is false... icon_shrug.gif

None of the unresolved bugs in the AGN bug forum are reported by you. If you are experiencing an unreported problem, or believe one of the existing bugs needs higher priority, please go there and make it known.

#18 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:33 PM

When you just realise you've lost a week's work is the worst. I loose faith with my quest so much when that happens - it just gets left for weeks before I can pull myself to fix it back to where it was - although, Master of Power is right, it usually ends better after.

And getting over-involved into making fancy combo cycling custom bosses. It's like a new toy though - I only just got used to it recently. I've made a centipede that runs across the screen and damages you and everything icon_biggrin.gif. I know it's not that great, but I'm quite proud of it.

Or when you just play an awesome game like HoD, then look at your game with disgust >_<

#19 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

Pretty much just getting bored of working after a few minutes... pretty much that.

#20 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

For me it's planning almost everything out somewhat before actually starting to create the quest in order to keep everything organized. If it gets unorganized then it's chaotic and hard to work with. But I can never plan out the whole thing first. I need to do something in zquest to help keep my thoughts organized since writing everything sometimes isn't as helpful later. It really really really frustrates me.

#21 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Jun 19 2007, 04:33 PM) View Post
Or when you just play an awesome game like HoD, then look at your game with disgust >_<

Actually, this ends up inspiring me, and it should with you as well. Designers don't make quests to one-up other designers. We make quests because our destinies are to simply create. Our creations are our children. Seeing them loved by the public is like watching our kids grow up and go to college and get jobs and be successful. (Who agrees with this?)

#22 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

My child hasn't been born yet. >_<
It is but a small fetus.

#23 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

the ZC version of "Writers Block"

Losing motivation and just dawdling on one area not really doing anything.

#24 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jun 20 2007, 02:01 AM) View Post

Actually, this ends up inspiring me, and it should with you as well. Designers don't make quests to one-up other designers. We make quests because our destinies are to simply create. Our creations are our children. Seeing them loved by the public is like watching our kids grow up and go to college and get jobs and be successful. (Who agrees with this?)

I get what you mean, but when the graphics you're using are in general inferior, it's not that easy.
And I know that designers here probably don't do that - but out in the real world, I'm sure that's probably their main motive. If Nintendo gets a game out that everyone loves more than Sony's new game, well then Nintendo make more money.

#25 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

* Making Dungeon Puzzles
* Custom Bosses (Especially making the Evil WoG Link Boss)
* Layering - Hate Flipping through maps
* Block Puzzles - My Block Puzzles are too easy.

#26 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Jun 21 2007, 08:31 AM) View Post

* Making Dungeon Puzzles
That's a smaller problem for me. In my intro dungeon in my quest, you learn that... you can go on the diagonal between two floor tiles and the falling tile in between.
* Custom Bosses (Especially making the Evil WoG Link Boss)
Agreed on all counts. Now, if only I could script...
* Layering - Hate Flipping through maps
I use Auto Layering and deal with the consequences later.
* Block Puzzles - My Block Puzzles are too easy.
Hmmmm... maybe make one that has the undercombo be a floor combo that falls into a pit? You could make the undercombo a spike trap too...

#27 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(DarkDragon @ Jun 17 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post

I don't understand this line of argument, as you can go to www.shardstorm.com and see detailed proof that this statement is false... icon_shrug.gif

None of the unresolved bugs in the AGN bug forum are reported by you. If you are experiencing an unreported problem, or believe one of the existing bugs needs higher priority, please go there and make it known.

With all due respect, how many quests have you built, finished, and released?
Sure, bugs get fixed, and then in the next beta they are replaced with more that effect different areas, so you end up running back fixing things that worked in the last beta and have now stopped working in the new one.
Let me remind you that the last TRULY stable engine was the 190, and let it go at that.

So let's recap....
NO stable version since 190, and the main site hasn't been fixed and updated in about 2 years.
Zelda Classic took a wrong turn a good while back and hasn't managed to get it self on the right track since.
Focus should be on 2 areas.
1) getting a solid engine out so builders can build again to supply the players with content.
2) The main site should be brought back to working order so news and those new quests can be offered to the public.

Do you realize that PureZC won't even host quests made in these betas?
Do you really believe players are going to hang around months for a new quest to play when most of the prolific builders have stopped building, and even if they did build one, there is not a data base to put it on?

I thought it was comical that Beefster accused me of ripping wikopedia, the truth is, nobody needs to attack ZC in any way, it's destroying itself by it's own apathy, it's very sad to see.

Edited by Freedom, 21 June 2007 - 01:20 PM.

#28 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(DarkDragon)

I don't understand this line of argument, as you can go to www.shardstorm.com and see detailed proof that this statement is false...

Hey, I realize you are doing your best fixing bugs, but every time you fix bugs, new ones are born. It's a never ending cycle...
I have seriously lost all hope in a stable 2.5 release. We were so close to a stable ZC during last October-December, but then certain developer went crazy with new features and all hopes of there being a stable release ever went down the toilet. After all the empty promises and endless mistakes made with the ZC builds, I decided to give up and leave ZC testing to others and concentrate on finishing my quest because if there can't be a stable ZC release, then I'm going to make sure there at least is a stable quest release.

Just like Freedom, I've had enough of wasting my time and effort with the builds that aren't getting better. But hopefully I still can find some fragments of hope left in me and if I see any kind of improvement after the release of LI, I guess I will be back testing just because i love Zc too much... >_<

QUOTE(Freedom @ Jun 21 2007, 09:17 PM) View Post

I thought it was comical that Beefster accused me of ripping wikopedia, the truth is, nobody needs to attack ZC in any way, it's destroying itself by it's own apathy, it's very sad to see.

Quoted for truth.
Doesn't anyone else understand that a working main site and a STABLE release would be absolutely necessary for ZC to survive? The future of ZC looks dark, and even though I'm hoping and doing everything that the release of Lost Isle gets old and new people interested in ZC again, a big quest release alone can only delay the inevitable death of ZC.

#29 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

Prophets of doom... You tend to find 'em everywhere nowadays... icon_sweat.gif

I haven't given up on ZC, nor will I ever. 'Cause even if the devs quit, which they won't, they'll most likely make ZC an open-source project, which means SOMEbody WILL fix the engine.

But let's not derail this thread... Otherwise it would have to get closed, and since I'm the thread starter, that would look bad on my record... icon_sorry.gif

P.S. Sorry you're getting flamed, DarkDragon and _L_. I still believe in you two.

#30 Foxx

Foxx

Initiate

• Members

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

Outgrowing this whole business. I swear, I was born too soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users