Photo

What if - MMOZCG

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KT_Cobra

KT_Cobra

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Just go ahead and use your imaginations for one moment. We Zelda fans love doing that, and do it well I must say.
I'm sure there has been a topic about this before, but I don't really want to search through to find out. I'll just go ahead and post it.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there were one BIG world made with ZC and others could interact in-game with one another kind of like in an mmorpg but real-time Zelda style. I'm not much for turn-based types of games, but you have to hand it to the creators. The idea of huge world where players could fight, team up, buy/sell, chat, and whatever they wish to do REALLY IS a great idea. But wouldn't that be just a day of days for the classic Zelda fan community?! Imagine people being able to submit different mini-worlds and dungeons and have the creators/admins implement them into the game every two weeks or so. Ever thought of how cool it would be to raid dungeon 6 (for example) with a friend or two... or three? There would be flaws however, but I'm sure the master genious minds of the Zelda Classic community could come up with solutions for that. One flaw for example would be how you would ever get to take on an entire dungeon by yourself or with friends and not have some jerk(s) come in killing all of the baddies before you get to them. Some good things, however would be to maybe experience a town market place where people could actually play the roles of the seller of goods (weapons, armor, accessories, potions, etc.). Another good thing would be maybe to have the game let you play as the bad guys. Regular baddies may enter/leave dungeons but tougher ones and bosses may not. After all, there's a large community of us and there would be little Links and blobs ALL OVER THE PLACE at all times. Maybe even implement a Hyrule castle into the game...? Put secret corridors leading to different locations of the castle and maybe even out into the mountains or down by the shore. The good thing about the game implementing human baddies is that Link never really defends anything but himself, but with this, the goodies would probably be forced to defend Hyrule or a town once in a while. Another good thing would probably be registration. If you register and pay maybe $10 - $20 to the creators/hosts of the game, then maybe you'll get extra features like different color suits, capabilities of swimming short distances, double boomerangs,... (this stuff is just randomly flowing out of my head as I'm sure most of you can tell.)

Please post your opinion on this. Also, I ask that you please not post why it'll never happen. Just state what you think would be a great feature in the game.

KT_Cobra

P.S. - What is Shattered Earth? Do a lot of people play that? Is it real time?

Edited by KT_Cobra, 30 May 2007 - 05:13 PM.

#2 Turbon714

Turbon714

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

This is a really, really good idea. icon_thumbsup.gif

I think there should instances (Ex. Molten Core in WoW) for "Links" to go fight bosses and collect rare equipment. Examples of instances possible in MMOZCG are Hyrule Castle, Ganon's Lair and Cave of Ordeals. As for the weapons, we could use a "Tales of Phantasia" weapon stat system (Ex. An Iron sword would have +6 thrust +8 slash +0 Defense, A Moblin Spear would have +9 thrust +3 slash +0 defence, A Magic Shield would have +12 defense and so on) It would also have slower animation because its heavier. You should also be able to pick what type of sword skill to use (stab or slash) With armor and shields, the weight will also slow down your walking speed. There should also be servers to limit the traffic of the game and private "runs" in which you are your team of two or three can go and beat a dungeon or fight a boss. There should also be harder bosses as well. A lone aquamentus would be obliterated by a team of three Links packing Master Swords (+50 thrust, +105 slash, +5 defense), Mirror Shields (+40 defense) and Gold Rings (+150 defense) in a matter of milliseconds. A fair challenge should be the Gigamentus. A giant aquamentus that takes up two screens and is able to breath streams of fire and fire out giant rings of fire as well! icon_superevil.gif icon_sweat.gif To defeat this abomination, one character must distract the beast at his feet cut constantly slicing at his toenails with his/her sword while the other one climbs the nearby cliff up to his horn and start dealing it damage. It should take a while seeing that the Gigamentus has 2000 hp! icon_twisted.gif Well, theres still ideas running around in my head, but they're too jumbled up with exams and all tomorrow. I'll add on to this later.

#3 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Wow, great idea there! icon_thumbsup.gif

I think that it would be great to get an MMORPG for Zelda... that would be the epitome of beauty. I, for one, think that this is a very ambitious but definitely possible idea. Nintendo did the BS-X thing back in the day, and broadcast new levels and different parts of the overworld... why couldn't we do it too? Obviously, we would GREATLY expand the world of Hyrule...maybe an ENTIRE 16x8 map devoted to Castle Town, or other staples of the Zelda series. While we're on that, I think that we should keep the places from the "real" Zelda games... Death Mountain, Lost Woods, Kakariko, etc.

You asked the question of how the dungeons would be "regulated." How about a Guild Wars-ish approach? In towns and other non-monstery places, you would be able to see everyone else and interact... in towns you could form "parties" of up to 4 people. When a party is established, they could go out into the overworld and into dungeons. When on the overworld or in dungeons, caves, etc. the "party" would be on their own... they could not see any other parties or people online. Because of this, they wouldn't have to be worried about people stealing kills or treasure.

One question though: what about tileset? Because the online world would be constantly expanding from user-made material, a standard tileset should probably be used by everyone contributing to MMOZCG. This would make it look MUCH more professioonal than a bunch of different tilesets lumped together in the same world. I, for one, vote for the Pure Tileset. It seems like almost everyone is familiar with it, and it offers pretty good graphics.

Wow. I can't believe I wrote that much. And I'm going to continue!

You mentioned human bad guys, KT_Cobra. I was thinking more of a "dungeon master" approach to this. While the majority of the time, we'd just have a normal, run-of-the-mill experience, occasionally the "Zelda Masters" could organize a moblin attack or something on Castle Town... anyone in Castle Town couldn't leave until the attack was stopped, and the Zelda Masters would have control of how many Moblins to send, etc. etc. Even better, we could let the different players join "divisions" in Hyrule... if Hyrule is attacked while the person is in Castle Town, then everyone in, let's say, Division 1 would be teleported to the southern wall and would be in charge of that area. Then, if one division failed, it would put stress on the other divisions, as they'd be fighting a two-way battle... just like in real war! Plus, it'd be a lot more organized than a million Link's running around shooting arrows at Moblins everywhere. I think that this would provide a unique and challenging experience for the players, and would encourage frequent log-ins so that players didn't miss special events, like the ZOL INVASION!!!!! Mwahahahahaahaha!!!!

I do agree with the registering thing, though. Anyone ever played Adventure Quest? If you donated money, then you'd become a Guardian, and gain access to new areas and items. Why not, I say. It's a good way to get money to keep the game online, because you know that webspace isn't free...

Anyway, that's what I have to say. Phew. Any more suggestions?

#4 Turbon714

Turbon714

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

I just though of a few more ideas...

BUYING A SHOP
Steps to buying a shop is simple... First find the Giant's Wallet (2000 Rupees), not to be mistaken for the wannabe one (500 Rupees) in Oot icon_razz.gif After scouring the world(s) for this treasure, then must must buy a shop in Hyrule Castle Town or build one one in the overworld (Kakariko Worker Force icon_biggrin.gif ) for 1500 rupees or more. Then, the player would pick a guy and a message string and put up three items at various prices. Some items, such as the bombs and the potions can be bought numerous times, while items like the Red Sword have the "unique" tag on them which means after a person buys it, it can't be bought again unless the person carrying it puts it up in his/her shop. This way a person can make a profit while adventuring on a quest or such (As if enemy drop rupees didn't fund your career anyway icon_lol.gif )

ARENA
Do you think that you're good enough because you can clear Hyrule Field of all its octoroks in 10 minutes? Think again! The Arena is going to be an area in Hyrule Field where you're going to be pitted up against armies of monsters, giant bosses and even other "Links" for sums of money, rare items and glory on the battlefield (300 rip off, sue me icon_razz.gif ). You could also complete against other Links to see which one kills the boss the fastest or which one kills the most enemies. At the end it will rely on skill and strategy more than how strong your sword is.

#5 KT_Cobra

KT_Cobra

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

Wow. Those are some great ideas. I have another one. Maybe in some places, so not to cause too much grafiti, you can leave scrolls saying different things. Maybe to warn others of a certain gang of pirates or theives who tend to hang out in a certain area up ahead...?

KT_Cobra

#6 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:48 PM

AHEM
This is a very old idea.
Yes, I have seen two of these topics.... well... JUST SIMILER in some ways.

YES I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE AN MASS MULTI ONLINE ZELDA CLASSIC GAME
But...
that's the problem...

Wouldn't there be... too much MMORPG Zelda Classic games....????

#7 KT_Cobra

KT_Cobra

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:55 PM

Just to quickly answer that before I head off to bed... nope. You see there are TONS of MMORPG's online. But MMOZCG would be a realtime game. You press the button to swing your sword and the game actually does it right then. It would be as though you're playing the single player game, except online and with ALL KINDS of different features thought up by the community. Again, I'm not a fan of turn based games, but MMOZCG would not offer that type of gameplay, only the classic kick butt Zelda experience to hundreds of people at once interacting with one another. Now, what else would make MMOZCG even BETTER?!.......

KT_Cobra

#8 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:58 PM

No... WHAT I AM SAYING IS....
There are a lot of ZC makers right?
A lot of people making quests?

The problem I'm having is that...
Too many people will hear this and make their own stuff and it will end up that there are too many!
It's going to be a flood.... trust me.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:42 AM

I definitely agree with Ninelives.

But... what if we regulated it, similar to the BS-X? We could even host it, right from PureZC! See, we'd only have one MMOZCG, but areas, quests, dungeons, etc. would be fan created. Of course, we're not just gonna let any fool design Gerudo Valley... no, that's why we have moderaters, who would pick the best stuff to put in, and not the random, cruddy stuff. So, not millions of different MMORPG quests, but just 1!

Or do you mean from other sites and such? Well, maybe not from PureZC... if the developers, then, maintained it, then who would develop the other ones? Nobody, because ZC will NOT be copied... at least, not without legal action! icon_razz.gif

And, because I can, I'll put my input into Turbon's ideas:

BUYING A SHOP:
Great idea! I love it! In fact, we could have a "bazaar" of sorts; you would walk into a huge market tent, but instead of walking to the individual stalls, a list would pop up of all the different shops. When you clicked one, Link would do his standard walk in animation and presto! Instant capitalism!

Speaking of capitalism, to be realistic, we'd have to incorporate profit and sale prices... You could buy a stall for 1500 rupees, but how would you stock it? By buying wholesale, of course! You could buy red potions, bombs, etc. from the "warehouse" when you bought a stall...you could then sell these at a higher price for profit! This will create competition... a higher price on your goods means more income, but you may find that people are ignoring your 1000 rupee bombs because the guy beside you is selling the same thing for 40 rupees. Friendly competition- good for everyone! Plus, this would limit your income, because sooner or later, you'll run out of those arrows you've been stocking... enter supply and demand, another staple of capitalism! Of course, the wholesale market would have some bugs... the Richy Rich among us would buy a stall and do nothing with it, just to get discounts by buying wholesale. I think that the solution would be to make it so that players can't use the wholesale-bought items... you have to sell them!

One feature that could be included is a "search" feature. You could search for merchants selling a particular item, like "red potion" and such... then, it would give you a list of all the Links, in random order, who were selling the potion. This is so that Links don't get ignored and such by being at the bottom of the list every time, and it simulates having to shop for the lowest price by going in and out of each shop. By the way, we'd probably have a bazaar at every town that we included... the bazaars would be limited in size (Castle Town = biggest) and you WOULD NOT be able to shop at a Kakariko shop from Castle Town... location, location, young grasshopper! icon_biggrin.gif

One more final last thing about shops: advertising! By paying, say, 500 rupees, you could "rig" the random search process to put your name MUCH higher up for the next three days... similar to news ads. You have to keep payin' for that space in the classifieds!

ARENA:
Another excellent idea! A "level" system could even be implemented... no no, not like Zelda 2, so don't get your skirt in a bunch. icon_razz.gif I'm talking about something like the Golden Sun arena... you begin by facing little monsters... like ropes or octorocks at level 1, and work your way up to things like multiple Deathknights and and those Cracktorocks (those things give me nightmares) when you get to level 50. In addition, you could challenge other Links of competitive levels to one-on-one, mano-e-mano fights. Or, you could form parties for massive 4-on-4 bloodfests! ZOMG! I just had an idea! What if we used the division thing from my last post and had Division Wars! It would be like March Madness... only with swords and boomerangs!

Speaking of items, I would propose that, when fighting other Links in the arena, competitors be limited to one item apiece (plus the sword). This would stop people from having to pause the fight to access the subscreen, and add more strategy in the 4-on-4s by requiring team members to complement one another!

PROBLEMS THAT I'M THINKING OF:
Item Availability. It would be silly for a money-grubbing Link with 3 hearts to have the Master Sword, right? So, I suggest dungeon requirements and heart requirements. Similar to the original Zelda, in which you needed five hearts for the white sword, and twelve for the magic sword, you'd need a set amount of hearts or "dungeon badges" (substitute for triforce shards, because we can't have 204 Triforces of Courage!) to use specific items. Sure, you could buy that +11 Broadsword of Ultimate Pwnage, but you'd need to complete nine dungeons and have 15 hearts to use it! Simple and clean, no? We could even place that requirement on wallets... you can't use that Adult's Wallet to get over 500 rupees until you beat some more bosses!

Wow, I feel so proud of myself. I haven't typed that much since that research paper. icon_eek.gif
Keep sending in ideas!

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 31 May 2007 - 01:06 AM.

#10 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

Well.
That's nice.

But how about this...
People all around create their own areas...a size of a normal overworld.
And it's added... by the moderators if they like it.
If things get too big, we can make a second server.
Every server has a Castle which you start out in if you transfer your account to another server.

like, Hyrule, Termina... then some place.

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:17 AM

Wow, you people need to send some resumes to Nintendo... people are coming up with great ideas! icon_thumbsup.gif

Expounding upon NineLives's idea...
Server 1 = Hyrule Castle and areas that are associated...
Server 2 = Clock Town and other areas in Majora's Mask (Termina)
Server 3 = Mabe Village and other areas in Link's Awakening (Koholint Island)
Server 4 = Horon Village and other areas in Oracle of Seasons (Holodrum)
Server 5 = Labrynna City (present) and other areas in Oracle of Ages (Labrynna)
Server 6 = Windfall Island and other areas in Wind Waker

Players could switch between servers during different logins... with about 8 dungeons per server, we'd have FORTY EIGHT dungeons! icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif In addition, each area would use a different tileset... for Hyrule and Termina, we'd use pure. For Koholint, Holodrum, and Labrynna, we'd use Game Boy only, because that's what their platforms are. For Wind Waker, we'd use a modified pure to fit the cel shaded theme.

It seems like a huge project, but with the right amount of fan input, this would really go very smoothly!

#12 KT_Cobra

KT_Cobra

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

I agree. Those really ARE good ideas, and here's another one...

Service Time:
Every player is required to put in a certain amount of service time per week. Service time would involve running a shop, etc. Also, wouldn't it be awesome if we had some kind of transport ship with a captain (random person doing his/her service time) to cross the massive seas and access the islands of the overworld. There could be signs at the docks showing where each ferry is going... kind of like a bus or subway system except on water. I've played games in the past (many games) to where people don't necessarily want to play on a certain night so they just come in to assist (i.e. pilot an aircraft for others to transport and return to base to pick up others). Gotta go... I'll continue more about what I think of this shortly.

KT_Cobra

#13 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:00 PM

Hmm.... I don't really get what you mean by "service time"... kind of sounds boring, actually, having to sit at your computer and sell stuff... isn't that what we have jobs for? icon_razz.gif Or did you have something else in mind?

#14 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:09 PM

This sounds awesome.

As far as players being able to play as "enemies", what we COULD implement is being able to choose your character species when you start the game. And of course, each species would have benefits, weaknesses, and varied stats, as well as being able to use only certain items (Wizzrobes wouldn't get to use swords but they could use many wand-class items exclusive only to them, for example). For this we'd have to implement a massive amount of new item classes to cover all the species. And "Links" would be called "Hyrulians", of course, since there's only one Link. =P

What I would give to play as an Octorok... Octoroks are adorable... =3

#15 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:09 AM

Yes, this idea has been around since the dawn of Zelda Classic, back when Phantom Menace was building it

That's not to say I haven't been fantasizing about something like this for quite some time, though my idea is of a smaller scale

Quests--

Quests would be hosted by the author, or somone willing to host it for them. Basically, it's a normal ZC quest, in which players can log in and join others to complete. Most quests would be by-invite only

Players--

Depending on the quest, there can be anywhere from two-six available characters working on a single quest. You could make custom characters for each person wanting to play the quest. Each character has a corresponding account, to which only the player and host have access to

Gameplay--

It would be the standard Zelda Classic style gamplay. The author can set up the quest so each player embarks on their own quest, occasionally joining with the others to solve puzzles and stuff. Or they can set up purely seperate adventures for each player, like a race, or cooperative not unlike Four Swords

Hosting--

The client is started on the host computer, and a password is entered to identify the host. People then connect via their clients to the host's computer (Assuming the computer is on). The host's "server" runs as long as they have it activated, like in the background, so people can connect when they want

Misc--

-Scrolling--

Scrolling betweens screens would be a little tricky. I'm not sure if simply walking into other screens would be how it works, or they'd "poof" into them

-Character Interaction--

Obviously a chat window would be needed for PMs and regular messages. Other players would be either solid or non-solid, depending on what options are enabled by the quest author. PvP is also an author-only option, but it would be per-DMap

-Items--

Each item only appears for ONE character ONCE. That means that if you pick up an item, nobody else can get it. However, once you have that item, duplicate items can't be obtained twice. The only exception to this would be collectables and ammo items (Bombs, Arrows, Magic Containers, ect...). Once those items have been collected a certain number of times, they become unobtainable for that person

Of course there would be tons of new items and stuff to take advantage of the multiplayer system

-Enemies--

Multiple players can each fight a single enemy. When that happens, only the player who deals the most damage collects the spoils automatically. If the above applies, it appears normally for the other players to obtain

That's all that comes to mind right now...

A central hub place would be awesome, and ideally, there'd be a central server for authors to upload their quests so that anyone can connect to it regardless, and host their own games and join others with no hassle

A main game, currently with ZC's limitations, would suck horribly. Only 255 maps to work with is not enough by FAR for a truly MMORPG experience

But yeah. Putting Zelda Classic online for the entire world to play as one would be orgasmic, to say the least

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users