It's absolutely possible now.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

For all the homebrew and new style of flash carts, you really probably could get some type of port of ZC running on the DS.

I have an M3 SD that uses SD cards as a data source, and it has RAM built into the cart.

I'm pretty sure that if we had a NDS homebrewer who would be interested in porting ZC on DS he/she could.
You'd might have to quantitize it and limit it but I'm positive that you could emulate midis, adjust the screen to fit it's resolution, and all that stuff. Doesn't seem that hard if you were a NDS Dev.

#2 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:55 PM

Sounds interesting. I, for one, can't stand handhelds but I guess some people would enjoy carrying their favorite quests wherever they go.

#3 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

This would be more useful at say, AGN because well, oh I don't know, IT'S THE HOME OF ZC WHERE THE DEVS BROWSE A LOT MORE THAN HERE?

#4 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

if you can get the DS to work fine with the allegro libraries, then you might have a chance short of reprogramming the whole damn thing from the ground up.

#5 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:25 PM

For the record, Legally that would seem impossible. A ZC Channel on the Wii was suggested (basically you could visit AGN, and PZC through it) but was struck down because of the obvious legal issues that would ensue.

Edited by Majora's Wrath, 25 May 2007 - 08:28 PM.

#6 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

I'm not even sure it would be a legal issue, anymore. ZC has gone so far from a Zelda 1 clone, that it really has nothing to do with Zelda 1, anymore. People are getting into the DoR sets and stuff, a REALLY FAR departure from Classic, and getting into custom bosses, scripting, all the good stuff.

Though Zelda 1's still available as a default, I doubt people will go to download ZC 2.5 (when it comes out) just to play Zelda 1. Go buy the GBA port, n00bs. icon_badrazz.gif

Seriously. Nintendo wouldn't care or get legal with us over ZC anymore, if they look and see, "Oh, people are doing their own stuff. This dude, Radien, he's a pretty sweet designer! Oh, and this Shoelace person, we should ask him if we can put HoD on GBA!" icon_deformed.gif

The stuff that's just VERY SLIGHT mods of Classic get deleted anyways. I would know. icon_rolleyes.gif

#7 The_Amaster

The_Amaster

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

It would take some work, but yeah, I can see it. Especially on say, DS. I don't know about the actual code, though. I mean, can a DS even run Allegro? Physically though, the card thing can be done.

Edited by The_Amaster, 25 May 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#8 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(DarkDragon)
Ignoring such tiny details as the need to port the entire Allegro and sound libraries, the main problem is that whereas the DS supports cartridges with a huge amount of ROM, it doesn't have all that much RAM.
And the ZC player gobbles up as much as 70 megs. And that's for a small quest.

ZC on the DS would be quite awesome, but there are so many obstacles to overcome, by the time it's actually done, it might not even be worth it

#9 Blue Link 2007

Blue Link 2007

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite)
Oh, and this Shoelace person, we should ask him if we can put HoD on GBA!

That would be freakin sweet it that happened.

Now back on topic... it might be somewhat complicated if it was on DS. I think it works better on a computer.

#10 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

There'd be no legal issue jeez.

You got NesDS SnesDS and a whole bunch of other crap.
Those are ROM related, ZC isn't ROM related.
If they don't have issues with those emulators then they shouldn't have issues with this.

#11 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

There WOULD be legal issues, unless the ZC Devs do it... Since it's not an open source project, just ZC Devs can do anything with the program. I think. Of course, no any other can have problems with it, neither Nintendo. Just the ZC Devs.

The greatest attribute of a DS ZC would be the multiplayer mode. DS owners can play with each other anywhere they are (as far as I understood). Or at least quickly and easily send your quest to other DS owner.

#12 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

I dunno why people keep thinking ZC (especially ZQuest... which is actually the more popular dream amongst people) on a DS would be cool: it wouldn't. I attempted to use my tablet with ZQuest and ZC once out of boredom and the result was a complete navigational disaster. Over half the functions in ZQuest use shortcut keys rather than menus. It's also tedious in general to draw things on the screen. What takes mere seconds to fill in with a mouse takes quite a bit longer to do so with a tablet pen due to the very imprecise (in tablet standards) grid in ZQuest.

The DS touch screen is similar to a tablet pc, except it responds to all touches rather than just the magnet in a tablet pen. Unless ZQuest underwent a major rewrite, using it would be out of the question on a DS. As for the player... sure... the buttons could probably be mapped and such. However, the screen resolution is still a problem, amongst other things I cannot think of at the moment.

Overall, it wouldn't be worth it to rewrite major parts of ZC (which is what would have to be done even if Allegro supported the DS) just so it could work with the DS, in my opinion. icon_shrug.gif

#13 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:31 PM

I figured people would only use the DS to play quests, not build them.

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ May 26 2007, 02:31 PM) View Post

I figured people would only use the DS to play quests, not build them.

The subtitle DOES say ZC on DS, so that's a reasonable assumption. icon_rolleyes.gif

It would be cool to have both programs on DS, but having just the Player on DS to download quests onto your DS to play would be pretty sweet. ZQuest would seem to be a little complex on DS's small screen, but ZC would be fine, IMO.

#15 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 26 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

It would be possible to PLAY zc on ds. But to make one, that a different story, that would take some considerable work! This kinda interesting, cause I saw this program, that has ds, gba, gb, ect cartridge's that hook up to your computer via usb, that is ment for puting hacked games or roms or what not on a cartridge, so you can play it on the hand held systems. So if you made a quest then converted it some how to a ds, gba gb, file then downloaded it to the cartridge, it would be very likely to work! What I am concerned about is how it would look. It sounds kinda iffy on the visual standards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users