Another Land (not generic at all)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:18 AM

Here's a new project! I hope I'll keep my motivation to work on it, since I really like it.

I'm using a custom tileset (Instrumentality by Moosh), and I'm combining that with my newfound knowledge of dungeon designing (using the Outlands tiles rather than Zelda 1 dungeon templates). That's the reason why I lost interest in Shipwrecked - dungeons were repetitive in gameplay and visuals, and I stopped wanting to design them.

You start with the whole Triforce, and I know that defeats the purpose of completing dungeons, but if I make the project have eight dungeons, I know I'll get bored.

There's gonna be six dungeons, meaning six Heart Containers in total without Pieces of Heart. Don't worry, though, there's still Pieces of Heart - 44 of the bloody things are planned, in fact!
Now enough of my rambling. Have some screenshots!

2RGuKuv.png
1r8ifqZ.png
V25XQ7n.png
XAe0gXb.png
YYrqdal.png
Nxa3IQB.png

Some of the screens look like they lack enemies, but don't worry - that's only because I had to clear them out so I could take screenshots (since the in-game snapshot thing doesn't seem to work).

Now, have some tasty dungeon plans!
- Gritty Grotto (done)
- Chasm Depths (done)
- The Thickruins
- VolCavern
- Nayru's Sewer
- Glacier Tower

Anyway, that's enough outta me. I wanna hear what you guys have to say about my work so far. Like it? Hate it? Want to gouge your eyes out with teaspoons? Please let me know!

Edited by Bombos, 03 February 2017 - 12:07 AM.

• judasrising, Eddy and Mibbitable like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Well I got to say, this is definitely looking much better than your first quest. Seems like a lot of graphical issues I pointed out in your last quest has been all fixed up, which is nice to see. The dungeon shot does look a little odd with having just one layer rather than two for the walls, but other than that, I like what I'm seeing so far!

• Zaxarone likes this

#3 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Play with Link's colors to make them complement the new pallets.

#4 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

Gigi & Merri Superstar Saga

• Members

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

I'd have to agree with eddy. dungeons in the nes and outlands theme should have more depth to them. also regarding Link's colors, you dont have to change them but if you did pastel colors would better match the pastel theme. but again it's not gonna take away from the visuals too much for me

EDIT: also, why are the cacti blue?  :confused:

Edited by Zaxarone, 30 January 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#5 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:53 AM

Does this look like a better use of Outlands tiles?

tx6x9OE.png

Also, how do I edit Link's palette?

also, why are the cacti blue? 

I was using the main desert palette to do the cacti as well as the landscape, so they came out blue, I guess. I made them green to fix the issue.

Edited by Bombos, 31 January 2017 - 01:53 AM.

• Zaxarone likes this

#6 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

• Members

Posted 31 January 2017 - 02:34 AM

Does this look like a better use of Outlands tiles?

tx6x9OE.png

Also, how do I edit Link's palette?

I was using the main desert palette to do the cacti as well as the landscape, so they came out blue, I guess. I made them green to fix the issue.

much better now.

also good, cacti that are blue shouldn't exist :^)

link uses palette 6 i believe. not sure about his tunic changes tho.

Edited by Zaxarone, 05 April 2020 - 12:10 AM.

#7 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:25 AM

wnRz8pk.png

Here's Link rocking a slightly darker colour palette and chilling with the green cacti. I think the default palette was a bit too bright, and this fits now.

Also, I hate to leave the one other person that cares about this with an area they've already seen, so here's something new!

vFlY9je.png

This dungeon's already finished, so I'll start on the next one soon.

Stay tuned for more, if you care!

• Eddy and Zaxarone like this

#8 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:58 AM

Hey, hey! It's screenshot time again!

I only have one on hand, but I'll have more soon.

29pDWIN.png

It's the floor of the Great Chasm! Spooky.

The Chasm Depths is a multi-layered dungeon, since it makes sense for a chasm to be deeper in some places than in others.

I just want to say that this is gonna be the update thread for my quest, so I hope that's okay. I'm not sure how these quest projects work, and my screenshots are always too big to post in the quest project thing itself. Do I make a new thread every time I want to announce something? That seems like it will clog up the Quest Project subforum.

Well, that's all from me today, but stay tuned for more!

Edited by Bombos, 02 February 2017 - 02:01 AM.

• Mibbitable likes this

#9 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

• Members

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:01 AM

Do I make a new thread every time I want to announce something? That seems like it will clog up the Quest Project subforum.

that is why you make your updates frequent enough that people still know your working on it, and not too frequent so people dont get sick o0f hearing about it lol. iv'e made that mistake before.
as i had said, make sure your screenshot output is png format and there shoudlnt be any file size problems uploading them to the screenshot tab.

(you can change this in ZC from the launcher and in ZQ from the etc->options menu

#10 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:22 AM

that is why you make your updates frequent enough that people still know your working on it, and not too frequent so people dont get sick o0f hearing about it lol. iv'e made that mistake before.
as i had said, make sure your screenshot output is png format and there shoudlnt be any file size problems uploading them to the screenshot tab.

(you can change this in ZC from the launcher and in ZQ from the etc->options menu

The problem is that I can't take snapshots using Zelda Classic itself. It doesn't matter if I click on the option from the dropdown menu or if I use the keyboard shortcut, I don't get a screenshot. Instead, I use my Mac's built-in screenshot function to take screenshots, which increases the file size, even if it's by a little bit.

However, I could be looking in the wrong place. Where do the snapshots get saved? They're sure as hell not in my Zelda Classic folder, or on my desktop.

#11 Zaxarone

Zaxarone

• Members

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

OH you never mentioned you used mac. now I understand why you have such trouble :P

#12 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

Time for another update, my dudes! You might want to prepare your teaspoons - I don't know what the general consensus of these screens will be.

5uDmXF0.png

I'm not too happy with this dungeon overall, but at the same time, I think it's a cool concept.

WikSOyq.png

A mini-fight with Dodongo for an item I've already claimed. By looking at my item totals, can you guess what item that is?

4UYVGQ9.png

Here's the Map room. It appears where I'm standing, and there's obviously meant to be more than one Moblin guarding it.

dt8eV0M.png

Here's a Lost Woods-styled desert maze, accessible when you get the dungeon item from the Chasm Depths. Successfully navigating this area and going through one last screen brings you to...

zjoQGZP.png
The Thickwood! Try to ignore the suggestive-sounding name. I was really excited to start working on this area, and I'm glad I finally can.

Let me hear your thoughts! ...That is, if you haven't already stuck your eyes in a garbage disposal and can't see the keyboard.

I'm kidding, of course. Thanks for any feedback, or just for looking at the thread!

• strike likes this

#13 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

May I ask, have you put in any scripts to this quest? 

The only thing I can say about the dungeon screens, is that it looks a bit empty.

As for the over world, I was never fond of the blank tiles. I'll DM you my solution to this. But it's your choice on how you wanna make your quest. 

#14 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:29 PM

May I ask, have you put in any scripts to this quest? 

I'm absolutely hopeless with coding or scripting of any kind, so that'll be a no.

Also, I know my dungeon screens are a bit empty, but I'm not too sure how to fix that without making it look cluttered or repetitive.

• Mibbitable likes this

#15 Mibbitable

Mibbitable

Junior

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Maybe add a different variety of floor tiles? 

That will give it a better look. I don't think a chasm would have torches, so maybe some skeletons or something? 

I don't know what you are going for, i'm just tossing around some ideas.

Edited by Mibbitable, 04 February 2017 - 03:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users