Randomizer Alpha ... Beta?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

A surprisingly common request was to make a randomizer that was basically all the randomizers put together. Some limitations (255 item limit) make that a little hard. But Randomizer Alpha is still quite large.

At first, it looks like a remake of Randomizer Super in Koten. But the quest was built off of the items and scripts and Randomizer Outlands, leading to many differences. And since Randomizer Outlands was designed with 8 dungeon sets in mind, this quest has 2 more dungeon sets than Randomizer Super.

Don't be fooled. While a lot is based on Randomizer Super, some dungeons have gone over design changes. Also, don't expect the same enemies as before. And repeated songs? Each dungeon palette and related song appears only twice (level 9s each have unique songs). 8 dungeon sets allows for a wider difficulty curve, so while 1st quest dungeons are still the easiest, some dungeon sets start at 1st Level 4 difficulty and go from there (Randomizer Super only went up to Level 3 difficulty to start).

Items are randomized a bit like Randomizer Outlands. By default, dungeon prizers are either a Triforce Piece or a Piece of Heart. But an updated randomizer option will place the Heart Pieces at Heart Container locations (like in boss rooms) and also shuffle the expansions around while allowing anything to be a dungeon prize. The Magic Key shows up in a Level 8 by default, but you can change this as well.

The big change is the end game. Upon completing a Level 9... lets just say there is a little more to see than just a generic final gauntlet.

This first beta has 100% item collection possible... and only that. No bonus content is in yet, althogh a lot of maps and scripts are already set up for the future betas. Betas should remain compatible unless stated otherwise, so you can hold on to a save to skip to the new content in future betas.

Also, look forward to more interesting item presets in the future.

Finally, I'm sure the Randomizer veterans are thinking "You had very interesting dungeons and a unique overworld in Outlands. Why is this quest so NES like?". Well, I didn't call this Randomizer ALPHA for nothing. We'll see... in several months of course.
  • Erdrick likes this

#2 Erdrick

Erdrick

Redeemed

• Members

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

A possible bug to report: I was playing and defeated the boss of Level 3 - Hard and I was awarded a Kill All Enemies, which didn't count as item completion.

I chose no random items because I wanted to test the "no randomizing" game out. Good thing I did because I think there's a bug. I'll let you know if there's more.

#3 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:52 AM

Minus Level 7 - Axe has a bug in the bottom left edge of the axe (Screen 40): There's supposed to be a stairwell revealed by the push block, but instead the secret does nothing.  If you look at the room with a lens, it shows a black square.  I haven't finished the level yet but I believe this will prevent me from collecting all of the items.

EDIT: Yep, finished the dungeon and visited every room I could.  You can't clear Minus Level 7 because of this bug, as there's no way to access the bottom right corner of the dungeon map.

EDIT 7-17-15: Tried the dungeon again and I was able to find a way around this bug, acquiring the last item.  Still a big tile error, though, so you should look into it.

I also found a push-block in one of the level 8s that does nothing, but I can't remember which one.

EDIT: It was Level 8: Spider (I think it's the Remix dungeon), near the top.  If I remember correctly, there was a Gohma on the screen.  Unlike the other bug, the Lens revealed no secrets on this screen, despite the block being pushable.  The block makes the secret sound when pushed, though, which leads me to believe there was supposed to be a passageway or something in the room.

EDIT 7-15-15: Okay, I've been testing Farore's Wind in weird places and it seems to be programmed correctly.  Using it in an item cellar takes you to the item cellar in Eagle (1st Level 1), while using it in an item cave takes you to the start screen cave.

I've also noticed there is a second warp in the start screen cave that is revealed by the lens, but I cannot make it appear with any of my tools.  I take it this is the extra zone that is not yet included?

I also had a thought about getting around the 255 item limit, though you might already be doing this.  For your scripted items, instead of having separate item entries for the different levels you could track the level of the item with a counter and have the global script adjust the item's function accordingly (and do a little creative cset assignment or graphic copy to the tile that the item references).  That would clear up at least a dozen item slots for other functions... but like I said, you may already be doing this.

EDIT EDIT: I'm missing two dungeons (not counting Level 9s or the bugged Minus Level 7): 2A and 8N.  Has anybody found these?  If so, could you tell me the overworld coordinates?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Scratch that, found them.  They were in screens I thought I had searched already.  It's hard to tell darkworld and lightworld screens apart.

Edited by Cjc, 17 July 2015 - 12:44 AM.

#4 Cjc

Cjc

Cor Blimey!

• Members

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:34 AM

A possible bug to report: I was playing and defeated the boss of Level 3 - Hard and I was awarded a Kill All Enemies, which didn't count as item completion.

I chose no random items because I wanted to test the "no randomizing" game out. Good thing I did because I think there's a bug. I'll let you know if there's more.

I have confirmed this bug.  Ganon dropped a Kill All Enemies in Minus Level 9 for me, and it did not count towards completion.  I did not save after getting the item in the hopes that you will make a hot fix (by swapping the item number for Kill All Enemies with the item number for whatever it was supposed to be.

EDIT:Scratch that, I was wrong.  The item was a substitute for the big triforce to unlock the doors after the fight.  I had missed a room.  Sorry.

Also, sorry about the double post, but it's been a week now and I really can't flood my other post with any more edits.

Edited by Cjc, 17 July 2015 - 02:02 AM.

#5 HeroOfFire

HeroOfFire

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

I have uploaded the second beta, which fixes the bugs mentioned (due to what was changed to fix the bugged item with the preset item locations, it might not fix that save file).

The bonus content is now complete. No point in hiding it, the Lost Overworld returns and is accessed in a similar manner. There is a hint about where to look for those not familiar with this secret, but since most players found it with the lens in the past, most of the puzzle is up to you to figure out (it's a little easier this time, and the lens spoils all of it).

I also changed the randomizer function a little. Now, the default randomizing places items as if the former "Place Items More Evenly" option was enabled, and the updated version of that option now shuffles the items even more... "evenly". This was to fix a quirk where same items were often clumped together in placement and some items always appeared very late. This change mainly affects general item placement. If you reuse an old seed, key items, expansions, and triforce pieces will still appear in the same locations.

Anyways, enjoy. This beta should be backwards compatible so you can go straight to the new content if you wish.

At this point I feel I need to thank AlphaDawg for making a quest that inspired me to make all the dungeons that showed up in these randomizers. I hope my tribute shows proper respect for his creation.

#6 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:03 PM

I seem unable to download the new version of the beta; it says "You do not have permission."

#7 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Wait... if this has 100% item completion and all bonus content, then wouldn't that mean that the game is pretty much complete?

#8 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

Wait... if this has 100% item completion and all bonus content, then wouldn't that mean that the game is pretty much complete?

This first beta has 100% item collection possible... and only that. No bonus content is in yet

It seems it's not "completed". Also beta testing means potential bug fixing. :P

#9 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

Oh, well the second demo said it had the bonus dungeons, so, it doesn't actually have all the bonus items yet?  I haven't played the demo because I like to wait for the full release, and I want to play the randomizers in order, and I'm still on Classic.

Edited by CyberGamer1539, 26 July 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#10 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Also beta testing means potential bug fixing. :P

This.  The game is, for the most part, complete, unless anything more is added, but there still may be bugs.  As you can see, people have found bugs in it before now.

#11 antwan4000

antwan4000

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

I am looking for Minus Lv 8. Where is specifically is that Minus Lv. 8 is at?

#12 antwan4000

antwan4000

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

The Hint to find Level 8 said: Double Check the useless passageways... Help me out on finding MINUS level 8

#13 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

MINUS Level 8:

Go to where the raft to 1st Level 4 is, and play a whistle.

#14 pixcalibur

pixcalibur

Warrior

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

Note the name of this level.  It's always been "Z," so not sure how it changed to "E"

zelda001_zps2wv8qg1w.jpg

=====================

On the screen in the center of this bit of map, can see stairs, but whistle doesn't trigger any passage

zelda003_zpscw9csohk.jpg

zelda002_zpssh9jltfq.jpg

Edited by pixcalibur, 24 August 2015 - 12:15 AM.

#15 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

On another note, the dungeons still have tile errors on the left sides of the walls. It looks really ugly to be honest. I won't lie; it took someone playing a demo of mine to catch that mistake. Look at Pixcalibur's picture and compare the left dungeon wall to the right to find the mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users