Should Capcom Make Another Zelda?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

So they've made four altogether.  The Oracles, Four Swords and Minish Cap.

And they're all good.  The Oracles being my personal favorite of the 2D Zeldas, despite being so linear.

Given what Nintendo has been doing with the series lately, do you think Capcom could continue its legacy of making good Zelda games?

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

I'd be up for it, as long as it's longer than Minish Cap, and freer in terms of progression. I also feel like it would need to be more original, the games you've listed borrow so heavily from other games that much of them feel like a remix. I got tired of seeing the same NPC characters in the same situations- help sleeping Talon, evade the guards, here's two more deku maku trees, here's the oracles again, here's tingle again- for a few years there every game felt like Majora's Mask, which was supposed to be strangely creepy that familiar characters had doppelgangers, instead it became the norm. I think the Capcom games were great quite good except for the parts where they were just too formulaic.

Edited by Cukeman, 24 September 2017 - 06:57 PM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

I'm gonna say no. I wouldn't trust modern Capcom with the Zelda property. Also, I don't like any of their Zelda games much anymore, unpopular an opinion as that is. The Oracle games don't have the same heart as the Nintendo-made games and have nothing on Link's Awakening other than technical aspects. Minish Cap is a boring chore to play through and Ezlo is a miserable companion to have. Four Swords is a terrible game.

So I personally would rather Capcom stay the hell away.

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

I think you make some valid points TS, then again, PH/ST weren't great either and ALBW while far from bad was thin on story and re-used most of LttP's overworld so...

Edited by Cukeman, 24 September 2017 - 06:58 PM.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

Oh trust me, Nintendo's not perfect, but their track record is still stronger than Capcom's, at least in my eyes.

• Cukeman likes this

#6 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Banned

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

The Oracle games never really resonated too deeply with me either. They're okay, but they're not the games in the series I go running back to. I liked Minish Cap, which is probably weird, and Four Swords would have been better off as its own longer, standalone game, which we got later from Nintendo themselves. 

I kind of agree about modern Capcom not having it in them to make a good Zelda game. I think the Capcom games will always have a special place in the Zelda series, cause I really don't see a game of that exact style being made officially again (2D, sprite based, and follows the "8/9 Dungeons" rule of the original game).

#7 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

The Oracle games, especially Ages, are very enjoyable to me. Didn't care for Minish Cap one bit, it's story was meh... the game was short. Overall, the game just felt unpolished, and was a beta released as final. I've played through it twice. Four Swords, I don't really have a very strong opinion about either way.

I will have to say no, I don't want Capcom touching the Zelda series again. I don't think they would do the series any sort of justice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users