desert dungeon boss

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

My desert dungeon "the Gerudo Mines" is in need of a boss. I was thinking the landmolas from alttp would be cool but at the same time I can't find a script for them. But a stalfos boss would be cool as well. I am open for ideas. I cannot script in fact I don't really understand how the script works or what certain stuff does. I also dont want to make all of you waste your time scripting me a boss. I am here just to see what you guys (the players) want to see as a boss for the dungeon.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

This seems like it's more suited for Quest Design Help, so I'm moving it there.

Anyways, for the boss, you could do all kinds of things. How about Leevers or Lanmolas? You could make boss version of them in the enemy editor. Or you could make a 2.10-style custom boss with, well, just about anything. Your imagination's the limit here.

#3 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

How about this...
A giant red leever. Its invurnerable to anything but the boomerang its red step speed is about 1/2 of links. Hit it a couple times and it turns blue and spawns lv 1 leevers. Now its weak to the sword a few times and the boomerang merely stuns it the blue forms step speed is doubled. Digs and turns red again. Hit it with the boomerang 3 times and it turns blue and spawns lv 2 leevers. Then it digs and returns to red. Hit it 4 times with the boomerang and then it turns blue and spawns lv 3 leevers. Then its defeated. Does that sound cool and is there a way to do it without scripting the boss itself. I already have a big enemy script in use so I could just draw out the tiles and use the enemy editor. I think that should work.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

That sounds fun, and it should be very doable with minimum scripting. The only script you would need, the big enemy script, you already have. You'd just have to use 2.10 custom boss techniques to move between screens with different enemies to accomplish his color-changing effect.

#5 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

How would I make it so the enemy will dig before ithe warp takes effect

#6 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Honestly, I don't know how to script, but I know for a fact that it would be difficult to time things to happen when it burrows in the ground.
The only way I know to have an enemy change it's attributes without scripting is to have them tribble into a different enemy; however, I think their HP resets when that happens. I believe it would require scripting to keep the damage from the previously tribbled enemy.

I was going to make some other suggestions.
- I might be too ambitious with this, but (using the 2.10 method) you could recreate the boss from Twilight Princess in the Arbiter's grounds: a giant skeletal beast that's stuck in the sand up to it's ribs. While avoiding its fire breath and pounding arms, Link would have to hit it's backbone to damage it (either sword or bombs or other short-distance item).
- Another idea I had is making a gleeok-type of enemy but with different graphics, maybe having the top of a 2x2 leever (or those stationary quicksand enemies from LttP that emerge and fire fireballs; not sure what they're called) sticking out of the ground with chomping "tongues" as the heads. You can adjust the number of neck segments to allow the tongue heads to reach as far as desirable (which is tricky to learn, but I learned how to do it, so let me know if you want to do this). You can also change their vulnerabilities to make them different from regular gleeoks to defeat. (However, you can't make the heads stunned; they don't stop moving even if you have them set to be stunned by a certain item.)

#7 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

I drew out the leever tiles its a 2x2 leever but I can't seem to get the tiles to animate properly. Big enemies won't use more than one row of animation (remember each animation is 4 tiles) so if I set up the tiles like the normal leever enemy then the giant leever won't come out of the ground. If I set up the leever using just two rows of tiles and set it up with 2 ground, 4 coming out, and 4 completely out then the leever won't fully come out of the ground. The only way I can seem to get it to work is if I have a leever that doesn't have a submerging and a resurfacing animations it will merely disappear.

I like that stalfos boss idea too. My only problem is that I don't really know how to draw that out in zquest. The leever is easy because I can just take the normal leever enemy and cut it into quarters and draw every block as a 2x2 block. Are there tiles that somebody uploaded to the site that I could use.

#8 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I doubt that there's already something in the database. I have some ideas, though. I was thinking of going to Spriter's Resource and pulling up the dinosaur boss from Chrono Trigger and making something based off of that.

This isn't the Developer's Exchange forum (where sprite requests should be posted), but I'd be willing to give it a shot.
I just don't have everything figured out with how it could be done, though. It'll be simple to do if his arms didn't move much. I'm not sure how to make his arms slam the ground, other than making him slam the ground at constant intervals (and having the ground change to damage combos right where his arm hits the ground) with combo cycling.
Just let me know what positions you would like and what exactly you'd want him to do (or tell me to do whatever I think if you're not sure).

Also, just like in TP, he could spawn dead soldiers out of the ground to protect him, maybe making it a maze to reach his backbone or just having the dead soldiers take a few hits with the sword to defeat.

#9 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Directly in the center of the screen would be perfect. And him slamming the ground at perfect intervals would work. He could have like 4 or 5 vertebra in his backbone that need to be destroyed. With every bone destroyed he could slam the ground at a slightly faster rate and he could spawn slightly stronger enemies. Link will have to destroy the dead soldiers (I would probably use stalfos + enemy editor) in order to be able to get to the bosses backbone. The boss should also shoot fireballs.

If I knew how to script it would probably be easier to accomplish this but I think that its possible without

Edited by beneficial, 30 July 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#10 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

Now, the only thing I don't have is this: What tileset, pallette, and CSet are you using for this? Those each make a big difference.
Also, what version of ZC are you using? The most recent, 2.5 RC3?

#11 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm using DoR, I don't know which pallet or cset I'm using. When I press F4 it says the pallet is set to 03C-pyramid. I think that's a quest thing though.

I'm using Zquest 2.5 beta build 21

I can upgrade if I need to

Edited by beneficial, 30 July 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#12 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Hey lightwulf if you haven't found any tiles yet I found some stallord tiles.

Russ posted them in a post that I found so if its okay with him

#13 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Well, I found the Chrono Trigger tiles I was looking for, but it's of a living T-Rex, not a skeleton one. I haven't gotten far with modifying them.

If you've found some tiles (and you have the creator's permission), just let me know and I won't work on this anymore. (You might want to send Russ a PM to make sure he sees this and ask for his permission that way.)

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hey, I'm a moderator of this forum, it's my job to see this. icon_razz.gif

Anyways, you're free to use the Stallord tiles, but be sure to credit Alestance and Zemious for drawing them. And be warned: They are very hard to use correctly.

#15 beneficial

beneficial

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Go ahead and do them lightwulf I would honestly like to use something that wasn't used in another quest. I got permission so if it proves to be to difficult then let me know.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users