Photo

The official PTUX versus DOR debate!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: PTUX versus DOR (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tileset do you find better, overall?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

DoR is a great set, S.Daniel. But, Radien made it for his quest, DoR. So, it looks ALOT better when he uses it.

#17 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

Another thing that I dislike about DoR is the colors used to outline the sprites. In DoR, what we generally refer to as "black outline" has been replaced with grey/brown outlines. To me, the outline colors in DoR look terrible. Personally, I think '04,04,04' is the perfect value for sprite outlines.

#18 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

I also, dislike what he did there. But, it is optional to configure to the palette to anything you wish. DoR is very flexible.

#19 Woppodie

Woppodie

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jan 1 2007, 09:09 PM) View Post

Another thing that I dislike about DoR is the colors used to outline the sprites. In DoR, what we generally refer to as "black outline" has been replaced with grey/brown outlines. To me, the outline colors in DoR look terrible. Personally, I think '04,04,04' is the perfect value for sprite outlines.

To be fair, Minish Cap did it the same way.

#20 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

To be fair, Minish Cap did it the same way.

Many SNES games do too; it's not uncommon. My point is that it looks bad in the DoR set. That type of coloring only works well with certain graphics.

#21 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

Another problem that I have come to find with DoR is how the graphics don't come together in the same way that the tiles in Pure come together. To get the screens to look good, you have to rethink screen design methods. Unfortunately, most of the time, to get it to look good, you have to spend about an hour on each screen and use all 6 layers on every screen. Although it does look great when you take out the time to do it.

#22 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

Well to be honest i use the PTUX set with some DOR tiles

But most of it is PTUX so PTUX for life

now pros and cons

Pros
PTUX:

Easy to get to the tiles you need every thing has it place
Lots of tiles in the daterbase

DOR:
Lots of tiles
Lots of browns

Cons:
PTUX:
it is limted

DOR:
Not for me not as easy to find the real thing
and it is just not the same the trees are ugly (sorry radin)

#23 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

PTUX ftw! I love PTUX and i find it good and flexible to use. For some reason I've never liked DoR, theres just some thing about it that turns me away.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jan 1 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post

Many SNES games do too; it's not uncommon. My point is that it looks bad in the DoR set. That type of coloring only works well with certain graphics.

The lighter outlines are part of an ongoing endeavor to make DoR look more like a modern 2D game. Ever since the late-SNES era, pretty much every 2D game that was released didn't have solid black outlines anymore. Continuing to use them alongside SD3-quality graphics looks just as bad, in my opinion.

The public version of the DoR set doesn't look as good as the current one because I hadn't altered the overworld graphics and palettes yet, and it still uses the old grass. icon_unsettled.gif My personal version has new grass, trees, bushes, etc., plus the overworld palettes use a very dark brown instead of solid black for the outlines. The sprites look much better against this backdrop.

I've been wanting to release this newer version to the public, but compatibility issues and the question of which graphics I want to make public have both been slowing me down. Basically, to maintain compatibility, I'm taking two versions of the same tileset, the public version and my current version, and upgrading the public version with content from the current version to ensure it remains compatible with the originally released tileset.

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Dec 27 2006, 06:23 PM) View Post
The reasons I don't like DoR:
1. The tiles in this set are not as far spaced apart like in PTUX, but now every type of tile(grass and trees, to mountains etc) is spaced apart.

No offense, but after awhile I eventually just decided to ignore most people's opinions about tile and combo spacing.

After spending countless months working on my two tilesets, I've learned how to freely move large masses of tiles and combos whenever I want, in a matter of a few minutes or even seconds, without risking bugs... even in version 1.92 beta 182. And it becomes even easier and more bug-free in the version 2.11 betas.

If you aren't willing to learn standard features such as using the Move command on several pages of tiles, then you probably shouldn't be using the DoR set. Or at least, you should learn how before trying to make major alterations to the set's tiles and combos.

QUOTE(Revfan9 @ Dec 27 2006, 09:48 PM) View Post

Actually, With PTUX and DoR, a lot of people (even ones that have been using ZC for a long time) forget about shift+PgUp/Dn and ctrl+pgup/dn.

I use both of these features constantly. They're just... indispensible. If any of you know how to use this feature and choose not to, then you're shooting yourself in the foot, and you really shouldn't be complaining about how long it takes to find combos.

There are many ways in which DoR is supposed to be comparable to Pure as a tileset, but being easy to use for beginners is NOT one of them. It's intended for people who know how to squeeze every possible trick of the trade out of ZQuest (or at least a good number of them). If you are a newbie and don't know ZQuest frontwards and backwards, or you're hoping to be able to create a simple quest that can be finished and released within a week or two, then you'd probably better stick to PTUX, or something even simpler than PTUX. icon_razz.gif

#25 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

Even though I am using PTUX, I find DOR to be better. DOR is far more innovative and has a good selection of tiles. The dummy combos are probably the best thing about it. PTUX doesn't have any dummy combos.
After I finish AMN, I will make Pure Advanced. It will have dummy combos, quite a few tiles from DOR, 8-bit tiles, many of my own sprites and tiles, relational/ dungeon carving sets, and an optional big link with 8 frames. Not to mention it will be reorganized. It's fragmented like a windows hard drive. Mr. Z just didn't leave enough space in the tile pages.

#26 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

Remember one thing people... the DoR tileset we have is version .9, so I guarantee you a better one will be coming out soon, as it says in the Blue Crescent Quests Subforum.

#27 Love For Fire

Love For Fire

Adept

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

I like the style of the DoR set a lot. It is my favorite set right now, but there are a few issues with it that I find annoying. One is how far apart the dungeon walls and floor tiles are. But like Radien said, you can just move stuff around. The other is the limited outside tiles in the database. Most of them are compatible with Pure.

I find it to be a great set though. PTUX is a great set too, I just wanted to try something a little different.

#28 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

I dislike both and have never used either as a base for any games. The main reason is that I find that most of the tiles are unnessicary and just sit there creating annoying blocks for me to have to waste my time scrolling through.

Hence why I like to just boot up Mystic Land and rip tiles I need and am going to use onto it. I hardly rip anything that I wont use, and I know exactly where to find everything. Generally I just do overworld tiles 0-3000, 3000-8000 dungeons, 8000-10000 anything else, 10000- sprites and cutscenes. It does involve some scrolling, but only big jumps at for a small amount of time. Worked like a charm.

#29 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

I plan on taking PUXDOR and taking out what I don't need, adding in what I do need and making an ultiamte tileset from that.

#30 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Jan 1 2007, 05:17 PM) View Post

Well to be honest i use the PTUX set with some DOR tiles

But most of it is PTUX so PTUX for life

now pros and cons

Pros
PTUX:

Easy to get to the tiles you need every thing has it place
Lots of tiles in the daterbase

DOR:
Lots of tiles
Lots of browns

Cons:
PTUX:
it is limted

DOR:
Not for me not as easy to find the real thing
and it is just not the same the trees are ugly (sorry radin)

Uhh yeah, The trees in DoR are the same as in PTUX, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users