Photo

The official PTUX versus DOR debate!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: PTUX versus DOR (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tileset do you find better, overall?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:29 PM

IMHO, PTUX has more tiles, sometimes to an unneccessary extreme, but it makes an incredible base for a pure-based set. DOR has better tiles, but the organization suffers. While DOR has an arguably better palette, it still has issues and less database tiles are based around it (although they are emerging). The Pure tileset is overused, but DoR is becoming just as cliche.

That's my opinion in a nutshell, and I picked "I like to build my own" as I find building your own tileset very fun.

#2 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:39 PM

Ilike Puretileset updat extreme. It has a good selection of tiles.

#3 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

I'm actually using a combination of both. It's working out pretty good.

#4 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

PTUX is the best tileset available for Zelda quests. Nothing against the DoR set but it is still far away from perfect.

Me and Wolfie are using a heavily modified PTUX set for LI and the quest couldn't really look much better so I'm more than happy with PTUX. It's a good basis for a great tileset if customized a bit. icon_smile.gif

#5 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:37 PM

^My point exactly, as I'm using a heavily modified PTUX set for AS. Although the Pure tileset does have annoying limitations (such as the 3 shades of brown).

#6 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

PUTX is easier to use and Mr. Z did an amazing job with all those tiles. You should check out my Knight of Shadows Thread in CQD and check out the results!

#7 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:23 PM

I used both tilesets once upon a time ago, but I recently have gotten sick of them.

PTUX has a really good selection of tiles in it, but I don't like it for two reasons:
1. The tiles in all pure sets now just make me cringe to look at them. I blame it on using DoR which has better looking tiles which in the end heightened my standards on what looks good.
2. I don't like either tileset in this way, but the tiles in PTUX are spaced so far apart I have to practically take a nap when going from the overworld tiles to the dungeon tiles. It just is annoying that way.

The reasons I don't like DoR:
1. The tiles in this set are not as far spaced apart like in PTUX, but now every type of tile(grass and trees, to mountains etc) is spaced apart.
2. It gives me a headache just to use it, it takes me so long to find the tile I need. I spend half of my time when using it just searching
from category of tiles to another category of tiles to find what I need.

I guess most of my problem with these two tilesets is me being impatient but hey, none of you have to go with what I say. This is just my opinion.

I voted for "I like to make my own tileset" since I just barely found some skill in drawing custom tiles. And it is a lot of fun to me to draw my own tiles.

#8 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

Another note, building your own tileset does not neccessarily mean drawing your own. It can also be a variety of rips, which is what I do.

#9 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

The problem with comprehensive sets is they often have so many tiles that it is rather time consuming to gather the tiles you need. I prefer to build my own set using their sets as a template and removing those I don't like and adding those I do, or simply building one from scratch or close to it.

#10 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:48 AM

Actually, With PTUX and DoR, a lot of people (even ones that have been using ZC for a long time) forget about shift+PgUp/Dn and ctrl+pgup/dn.

#11 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(Nuvo @ Dec 27 2006, 09:23 PM) View Post

The reasons I don't like DoR:
1. The tiles in this set are not as far spaced apart like in PTUX, but now every type of tile(grass and trees, to mountains etc) is spaced apart.
2. It gives me a headache just to use it, it takes me so long to find the tile I need. I spend half of my time when using it just searching
from category of tiles to another category of tiles to find what I need.

I guess most of my problem with these two tilesets is me being impatient but hey, none of you have to go with what I say. This is just my opinion.

I voted for "I like to make my own tileset" since I just barely found some skill in drawing custom tiles. And it is a lot of fun to me to draw my own tiles.

Wow... completely opposite of me? I hate the friggin fact that in PTUX, house walls and house tiles are completely seperated, that pisses me off, so I put them right above the house walls of course, and the same goes with the dungeon tiles. DoR actually organizes these better, putting the house tiles and walls together, and the dungeon tiles are much better organized. I believe PTUX and DoR are about the same in length in their combo lists. Other than that, Nuvo, hold alt and page down, and you can speed through quickly. Another thing is, just among me, is that DoR has a better variety of weapons, and it's easier to tell what enemies go with what c-set.

#12 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

Ok, PTUX isn't the best organized Pure tileset. Why? Like Moon just mentioned, the house tiles are far separated from the house walls . The main palette has been modified to be darken, which doesn't look so good, and alot of tiles lack correct shading.

The DoR set on the other hand, has tiles scattered all over the place, making very time consuming, to simply make a good screen. I remember when I use to make test screen with it, and it would take about 20 minutes per screen. Yet, the good thing about DoR, is that everything is shaded correctly, it has more tints and shades, while PTUX doesn't.

They are equal IMO, since they both have Pros and Cons, that the other one doesn't have.

#13 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jan 1 2007, 09:12 AM) View Post

Wow... completely opposite of me? I hate the friggin fact that in PTUX, house walls and house tiles are completely seperated, that pisses me off, so I put them right above the house walls of course, and the same goes with the dungeon tiles. DoR actually organizes these better, putting the house tiles and walls together, and the dungeon tiles are much better organized. I believe PTUX and DoR are about the same in length in their combo lists. Other than that, Nuvo, hold alt and page down, and you can speed through quickly. Another thing is, just among me, is that DoR has a better variety of weapons, and it's easier to tell what enemies go with what c-set.

Hehe, as I have said before, my problem is impatience. I do, in fact, use shift pg up, and control pg. up etc. It just took me a long time to find the combos I wanted to use therefore consuming time.
Oh yeah though. I don't like the fact that the house walls and tiles are seperated either in PTUX.

Both of these tilesets are still cool, and good tilesets. I rip from them or base my tiles I draw on these tilesets tiles. I mostly use DoR though since I have, in the end, used it more and know my way around it better.

Well whatever, I still like to draw, rip, and make my own tileset in the end.

#14 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:24 PM

Do you also use Select Combo/Scroll to Combo from right clicking on tiles already on the screen instead having to go them manually? It helped me work 2x times faster. (The feature is only in the 2.11s, though)

#15 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

I prefer PTUX. The tiles in PTUX seem to fit together better; many things in DoR clash with eachother. I also think some of the edits in DoR are a tad ugly (sorry Radien). There's also some very nice edits in it; I ripped alot of things from DoR, it just isn't that great for building a quest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users