• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Nov 12 2006, 03:33 PM) View Post
Is doesn't matter how crowded the overworld/dungeon is. Quest makers are using clever and creative thought of making a quest. Take Shoelace's quest for example, he uses what he has of the Pure Set to make the game as entertaining as possible. And for Gashin's I've never seen tiles a beautiful as the Pure Set. In my opinion, Gashin's quest is going to rock. What I'm saying is, it doesn't matter if the screen is overcrowded, the quest makers are making their quests as fun as possible.

How ON EARTH can you mistake Gashin's tileset for the Pure set?

#47 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:46 AM

Opps I mean it more beautiful than the Pure Set.
My mistake icon_razz.gif

#48 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ Nov 12 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post
Opps I mean it more beautiful than the Pure Set.
My mistake icon_razz.gif

Never mind, we all make mistakes icon_wacky.gif

#49 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

I agree with all the people who said if you're so opinionated on this subject, why don't you show us what you think it should look like?

Another reason why you can't compare ALTTP to ZC is because, well, the resolution. And Link. Link was a bigger guy, therefore needing more space to roam around. The resolution was also different, giving the illusion of open spaces.

One more thing to add, in ALTTP Nintendo could put anything anywhere, to make the screens better. IN ZC, we don't have that free-roaming ability, therefore have to organize screens differently, usually trying to fin more into a smaller space, due to the limitations. If we put anything anywhere we want, there would be so many glitches the quest would be virtually unplayable.

#50 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

Take a screen from Hyrule's darkness (my quest) and it is bland now take a HOD or Link's birthday DX and it looks great

Overcrowding in ZC is good it makes the quest look better (well is everything looks right)

#51 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(billy ronald @ Nov 12 2006, 02:21 PM) View Post

Take a screen from Hyrule's darkness (my quest) and it is bland now take a HOD or Link's birthday DX and it looks great

Overcrowding in ZC is good it makes the quest look better (well is everything looks right)

...You're joking, right? Overcrowding screens is NOT good. There IS such a thing as too much in ZC, you know. icon_sigh.gif

#52 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

First of all:

1: You can overcrowd the screens a LITTLE (Notice the italicized LITTLE), but that's only detail wise (Like shadows, little streams, grassy grass, ect.) Don't make it nearly impossible to traverse around the map.
2: Don't leave them bland, though. It'd get boring to go screen after screen with little to no activity. Add some... suprises on each screen, clever secret combo's, ect. (Like a tamed Leever going back into its hole-thingy after you hit it with the hammer. Of course, you'd have to use secret combo's, ect.)

...there's my 2 cents.

#53 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

What I suggest would be that if you're going to crowd up a screen with wall combos, make sure that most of those combos turn into floor combos in some sort of way (i.e. bushes). Also, don't add so much water, unless you plan to have that area flippers-friendly.

Remember to think about what kind of environment your screen will be in, as well. If it's a mountain, make it mountainous. If it's a plain, make it nice and open. If it's a town, put in a fair amount of people, but not too few or too many.

#54 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

I meant just enjoth to make the screen look right

but too much space i made that mistake before everyone hated the quest

#55 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

True, but that was not your only mistake, billy.

#56 tlseward

tlseward

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

I agree in part with the critique about overcrowding screens. Every screen being a maze is too much!
However, the designer must consider different aspects of the game.

1. Playability. Does the screen, and those surrounding play well? Do they serve to be interesting, unique.
Or do they force a player to go round in circles for nothing? I call that linear play. icon_thumbsdown.gif
I like a game that allows non-linear play. Where I as a player have the illusion that I'm guiding the game along.

2. Visibility. What does the screen look like? Is it eye pleasing? (After all a video game is sound and graphics. Take away either, and you have black and white dots fighting each other...)

These two aspects create a tension. You want your qst to look good, but you want it to play well, too.
Overcrowded screens look good for screenshots, but are scummy to play. icon_sorry.gif

That's my two cents on the subject... icon_thumbsup.gif
Tom

#57 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

knowing his standards, Ta-QS will most likely not like my quests nor like my upcoming Lost Isle. But I will say this, I have been balancing the need for open-ended screens with lots of space to move with the screens that are for eye-candy and have a more limited frame of movement. All in all, the entire island made is quite beautiful when taken in its entirety.

#58 Moresco

Moresco

• Members

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

I actually think this is an interesting subject, despite the manner in which it was brought forward.

I've played a few quests, though I only just discovered ZC recently. From what I've seen, a lot of the quests are very well done. Some are not so well done.

Less is often more, especially with animation involved, and more detail is not always a good thing. Working with 2d/8bit/16bit tile graphics is an art form, and by no means does having spacious screens make your world appealing to the eye. Guiding the eye with well designed screens, to lead the viewer/player here and there, it's all important. Just because you have the detail, doesn't mean you should use it. Sure, some things in life are busy, there's no denying it, but not everything is busy.

I don't know, obviously space in the game is limited, and even I find myself making screens and later being disappointed by them either while playing or editting things. Anyway these things are just my opinions, not saying I'm completely right.

Here's a screen I designed, not a lot of walking room, but there are no enemies:
IPB Image

#59 Phoenix Fable

Phoenix Fable

Adept

• Members

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:40 AM

I just have to go back to what was said about alttp. It was an awesome game...but I have to say that its not the best by far. In some ways I agree with the whole "stop overcrowding screens" because if there were enemies like the stalfos that can throw things or guys like that, then there isnt a way (unless you have the mirror shield or something) to dodge it.

I also have to say...WHO CARES IF THE SCREENS ARE OVERCROWDED! If theres no then the room is fine with me. You know, sure, sometimes space is good but other times space can be a pain in the @$$.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users