Photo

Map of the Month 19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 19 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

Welcome to Map of the Month 19!

Only three maps this week, but it's more than enough for a feisty little battle.

catfriedrice

Gonken

Jupiter

So that's it. I'm sorry for the little delay, but due to a few April 1st jokes yesterday, we decided to wait one day with MotM. But here it is anyways. Now get to voting for your favorite map! Good luck to all combatants.

#2 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

Gonken, your map reminds me of Robin's Great Forest. I'd even say you ripped it off, more or less. The concept of the river flowing through the forest like that, for example is obviously copied. Stealing is a no-go. Great job on ripping all those tMC tiles into ZC, but think of own designs. Seriously, that is the second time you are stealing others work, stop it, please.

#3 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Wtf? I am not stealing. Some tiles are drawn by me and taken from other games.

And you're saying i ripped his map because i have a bridge?

And the palette is made by me.

Edited by Gonken, 02 April 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#4 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Voted for Gonken. Not sure if he actually intended to use Migo's design or not, but I don't care much for the other two anyways.

catfriedrice - Too much blue. Just...too much blue. Use variety in your roof tops and stuff so that it's not the same thing everywhere.

Jupiter - It's a nice map, but I don't like how the tree shadow stuff randomly stops once its supposed to go to the next screen. It makes it look choppy and funny lookin'. icon_shrug.gif

#5 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

catfriedrice's is too small for me to make out any detail, and I'm not so keen on Jupiter's so I went for Gonken. It is similar to Robin's map but I think they've sorted that out already Sheik.

The clouds in your map may look good during gameplay but I think they obscure it more than add to it for this competition, and I'm not too keen on your palette Jupiter.

#6 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 2 2010, 01:31 PM) View Post

Gonken, your map reminds me of Robin's Great Forest. I'd even say you ripped it off, more or less. The concept of the river flowing through the forest like that, for example is obviously copied. Stealing is a no-go. Great job on ripping all those tMC tiles into ZC, but think of own designs. Seriously, that is the second time you are stealing others work, stop it, please.

Ok, frankly I think this is silly. The idea of a river running through a forest is obviously copied?? Um, copied from nature? That's like saying the idea of a castle in the mountains is copied, or the idea of a sky above the ground is copied...these are all common things.

Further, and just as frankly, if he did get the idea for a river running through a forest from Migokalle's map, or if I get the idea of it from him and use it, so what? Seriously, it's not like it would be copying some super original brainstorm...it's a river running through a forest...it would be an inspiration. Just like a lot of people put dungeons or castles in the mountains like there is in ALttP...I have never seen a map in ZC (though I don't doubt that there is) with dead enemies all over it like there is in mine, it's a whole lot more uncommon that a river and some trees, but if someone thinks that's a good idea for their quest, go for it. Seriously, I think you made a mistake in criticizing him like this.

If the exact layout is copied or something I'll admit I'm wrong, but so far as I can tell there are similar in that they are forest scenes with shadows and a river. Yeesh.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now for the maps...

Catfriedrice: You know what? I think this is an excellent map. I mean, that really looks like a medieval city. I don't recall seeing towns with that many buildings in them in ZC, the walls and layout is really pleasing altogether. Your buildings that are several stories tall are really cool, I have not seen them. The colors are good enough. I like it, I definitely would have voted for it.

Gonken: I like it quite a bit. It's a very pleasing map and the layout of everything feels nice and natural. I like the MC tiles with the DoR tiles. I like the way you use the plant tiles in the watter. It's very well done. My only complaint is that it's a little bit boring. It's a big forest with a river...it could use some unusual features. Good job.

Jupiter: This is my first map. Ever. Considering that I am pretty pleased with it. It's not perfectly natural and could be a lot better, but I think I did a good job of making it interesting for the most part. There are a few screens that I think really bite, but it's not the worst map ever.

QUOTE(Rem @ Apr 2 2010, 01:40 PM) View Post

Jupiter - It's a nice map, but I don't like how the tree shadow stuff randomly stops once its supposed to go to the next screen. It makes it look choppy and funny lookin'. icon_shrug.gif

Thanks Rem. Well, on those same screens you actually sidewarp to another map and everything is a different palette too (which you can't see here), so it is a transition...I tried to make the shadows creep into the first screen before that transition just to make it a little more gradual. Other than that, I don't know how else to do it. Just like with any overhead effect like rain or snow...in one screen there has to be rain, and in the next none...

Edited by Jupiter, 02 April 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ok, frankly I think this is silly. The idea of a river running through a forest is obviously copied?? Um, copied from nature? That's like saying the idea of a castle in the mountains is copied, or the idea of a sky above the ground is copied...these are all common things.
Did you read the "like that" part I typed down? The general layout of the river is just the same. I'm not saying that Robin invented rivers flowing through forests, but that Gonken copied the way Robin pulled that idea off. And I'd say that this is quite obvious. The general layout of the landmasses is disturbingly similar.

#8 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 2 2010, 01:43 PM) View Post

The clouds in your map may look good during gameplay but I think they obscure it more than add to it for this competition, and I'm not too keen on your palette Jupiter.

Clouds obscure. But I think it makes the scene feel more ominous--which is what I'm going for. Yes, it's probably better in-game than here, but I still like it even in the map. Oh well. I also like my palette, at least the grass, I may adjust the trees and/or sand and mountains though.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

catfriedrice: Holy crud that's a huge town! Great design too. You have my respect for being able to make a good looking town that big.

Gonken: Looks great. Those shafts of light coming through the trees on one screen looks awesome! You should add more of them.

Jupiter: Dark. Dreary. Dead. It's a 3D map! *shot* Looks great. *votes*

#10 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 2 2010, 01:18 PM) View Post

catfriedrice: Holy crud that's a huge town! Great design too. You have my respect for being able to make a good looking town that big.

Gonken: Looks great. Those shafts of light coming through the trees on one screen looks awesome! You should add more of them.

Jupiter: Dark. Dreary. Dead. It's a 3D map! *shot* Looks great. *votes*

Yea I was thinking about that, but I tried to make them look better before I start to use lots of them icon_smile.gif

#11 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 2 2010, 02:12 PM) View Post

Did you read the "like that" part I typed down? The general layout of the river is just the same. I'm not saying that Robin invented rivers flowing through forests, but that Gonken copied the way Robin pulled that idea off. And I'd say that this is quite obvious. The general layout of the landmasses is disturbingly similar.

Sorry Skeik, I believe that you think it is obvious. That how his river flows, "like that", in such a manner, with riverlike design, is clearly copied. But I still sincerely think that is silly. I mean, yes, they look similar, but they are using the same tiles to make the same thing: a river in a forest. Maybe it was copied inspired by Migo's river, only Gonken knows, but I just don't think it is obvious or blatant.

They both made natural looking rivers of roughly the same with. There are only so many ways to do so in ZQuest...that's what they are going to look like...

And even if it was copied inspired by, Migo's map, my second point stands: so what?

If you come up with something really original, like, I don't know really...a lunar landscape in ZQuest...then maybe there is an argument that imitating it is a little cheap. But it's not like Migo's map--extremely nice as it is!--is so unusual.

To use an example with myself again: I have not seen a lot of people make an overhang with the DoR tiles like I did in my recent SotW, but if people liked that and tried to do it themselves...how is that bad or wrong (unless of course it's ugly icon_heh.gif )?

Edited by Jupiter, 02 April 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

Okay, Jupiter, and everyone else involved, I think it's time to end this now. There's no point in throwing this ball back and fourth, so why continue? The focus of MotM is voting and talking about why you like the map you voted for, so let's just do that.

#13 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ Apr 2 2010, 02:34 PM) View Post

Okay, Jupiter, and everyone else involved, I think it's time to end this now. There's no point in throwing this ball back and fourth, so why continue? The focus of MotM is voting and talking about why you like the map you voted for, so let's just do that.

Yeah, agreed. Fair enough. I felt like Gonken got a pretty unfair and harsh accusation and deserved defending. That's all.

As I've already commented 2 of the 3 maps are really good...that third one's a little iffy icon_wink.gif

I wish there were more!

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 2 2010, 08:13 PM) View Post
Clouds obscure. But I think it makes the scene feel more ominous--which is what I'm going for. Yes, it's probably better in-game than here, but I still like it even in the map. Oh well. I also like my palette, at least the grass, I may adjust the trees and/or sand and mountains though.
Yeah, I'm sure they look lovely in-game.

My thoughts on your palette are:
  • The grass- and tree-greens are too similar
  • They're also too saturated; reducing the saturation a touch and increasing the luminescence would help
  • Those orange tree tops are far too bright, decreasing the luminescence on them a lot would be a good idea
  • Decreasing the luminescence on your browns a little would help
  • If that makes it look too dark overall, then increase the luminescence of the entire palette very slightly
  • The purple and red trees with lightest shade brown look bad
So that'd be what I would do with it, but that's just my opinion.

#15 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ Apr 2 2010, 03:01 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm sure they look lovely in-game.

My thoughts on your palette are:
  • The grass- and tree-greens are too similar
  • They're also too saturated; reducing the saturation a touch and increasing the luminescence would help
  • Those orange tree tops are far too bright, decreasing the luminescence on them a lot would be a good idea
  • Decreasing the luminescence on your browns a little would help
  • If that makes it look too dark overall, then increase the luminescence of the entire palette very slightly
  • The purple and red trees with lightest shade brown look bad
So that'd be what I would do with it, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks! That's really helpful. Just to quickly take your points in order.

-Yeah, you've got a good point there
-I'll play with that...I do want it to be a bit ominous or have a sort of late in the day feeling.
-True, but this is not actually the palette they are in...all of those trees are totally different colors...I did not know how to get two different palettes to show on the same map..so I went with the one that covered the majority of it for the entry...
-I'll play with that too
- Same. More playing.
- Maybe if I darken the browns and lighten everything else they will start to fit.

Good stuff, much appreciated Joe.

Edited by Jupiter, 02 April 2010 - 03:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users