Winux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:01 PM

It's an operating system I'm planning on working on. I tried making an entirely Linux kernel but no success since I'm doing it alone.

Before you say it. I am perfectly aware it takes programming expertise (Working on my 6th year of experience here) to make an operating system work, and in special cases, without a load of experience it takes a team of developers. When I say a "load," I mean more than just 7 years.

++ Anyway... ++

Continuing on, let me elaborate on "Winux." As the topic description reads, it's a Linux and Windows merging. All of the safety and stability of Linux with the interface (and application support!) for Windows.

In other words, I have seen so many people saying they're paranoid about reformatting to Linux because they're afraid they won't get any work done. If they're so familiarized to Windows, why not merge the two?

This is an indepenent operating system and is NOT identical to the WINE Windows compatibility layer, Beryl, and Ubuntu Desktop 7.04 combined into one. I repeat, it is an independent operating system.

This will be based on the Linux kernel, probably version 1.5.2. It will have a command shell and will be able to understand Windows and UNIX/Linux jargon and such. So in other words, it's like having a Windows Linux dualboot, but without having to restart over and over to switch to the appropriate operating system. Now it's just Windows and Linux merged together.

Aaaah.

So now, you see that I can't just do it by myself. This is a big job.

If I remember correctly, the Linux kernel was made in the C programming language. So if anyone has some spare time, a few CD-RWs they're willing to give up (along with a lot of their personal time), surely some C/C++ experience, and if they actually care about this project, then maybe you're willing to pitch in on the development? Once we get used to the flow it *shouldn't* be a hard job.

At the very least, of course (just a disclaimer). All credit goes to the developers of Windows for the interface and such.

Oh, and a suprise feature that we'll add at the end: You can switch between the Linux and Windows interface, but the Windows interface is the default. YAY FOR COMPATIBILITY AND EASE OF USE.

(There might be a little support for Mac thrown in at some point as well icon_cool.gif)

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

Will it be able to run Windows and Linux programs? Like the windows version of ZC and the Linux one fine? Or do programs need to be specially adapted to it?

#3 NekoArc

NekoArc

trans catgirl extrodinaire

• Members

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:29 AM

Looks to be an interesting venture. As for a 'few' CD-RWs, how many do you need? (along with cdrs) I might be able to order some for ya and have 'em sent to your address.

#4 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:27 PM

Evan: Yes. It runs both.

NekoArk: I can probably get 'em myself, the real question here is if I can get someone who has the slightest bit of any C++ and general computer knowledge that is above and beyond the "average" user. One who has successfully upgraded a computer, dabbled into Linux (even if it's just reading a few articles 'bout it), pushed Windows to some of its limits, and had many run-ins with spyware, adware, trojans, etc.

#5 NekoArc

NekoArc

trans catgirl extrodinaire

• Members

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

The most I know about programming is if=then commands >_>
I've built computers, moved windows installs to other hdds or move the whole hdd to a new computer and getting everything running; and I'm getting back into using Ubuntu and re-familiarizing myself with the command line and Knoppix. Not much for Windows hax. I've gone into the registry to mess around with some stuff, but adding in, removing, or editing entries can take quite a bit of my time for some reason...

#6 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

Whew, that's a big undertaking. An operating system. Wow. G'luck. icon_wink.gif

(... Can't really think of anything else to say other then that... OH WAIT!)

This will definitely be useful for a lot of people who don't like the normal windows interface. You'll be famous if you can pull it off. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by trip i fall, 10 October 2007 - 08:10 PM.

#7 KHRiku

KHRiku

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:48 PM

Good luck you've got some work ahead of you. But if you pull it off I'd definetly be a user myself assuming you do a nice job which I think you would. Why go through the trouble making a OS if you ain't going to do it right? Once again good luck I think its a great idea.

Edited by KHRiku, 10 October 2007 - 08:49 PM.

#8 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for your support.

I have yet to find anyone who is willing to help on the project, and the development will be on hiatus for now until I can get (not including myself) about 5 lead programmers.

Then, with the first release, I'll deem it a community project.

Again, those who LOVE C++ and C, please get in touch with me as soon as you can if you're interested. PM me or send an e-mail to the one in my profile. (If you don't see it, it's themasterswordsman AT gmail DOT com.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users