Photo

Stationary enemy that changes direction?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dairyking

Dairyking

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hello. I'm fairly new to ZC in general (I only discovered it early last month), so I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. Anyway, I was wondering if, in the 2.5 enemy editor, it's possible to make an enemy that can change the direction it's facing without actually needing to move around.

I'm trying to make my first quest, and I want to have custom bosses for the dungeons. In this case, I want to make a giant (4x2) Dodongo as a boss that looks like its mouth opens and closes, and you obviously have to feed it bombs when its mouth opens to defeat it. I was thinking I could do this by having the Dodongo be made of animated damage combos, and making the "mouth" a stationary enemy that is only vulnerable to bombs from certain sides, giving it appropriate tiles to look like an open or closed mouth depending on the direction it's facing.

I've tried setting an enemy's step speed to zero, and I've tried limiting the enemy's available walking space to one combo on the screen while its step speed is greater than zero, but both of these result in an enemy that always faces the same direction as when it spawns. Is there a way to accomplish what I'm after in the enemy editor, or no?

-------

A note: I don't want scripts. I think scripts are great, and I'd love to incorporate them in future quests, but I want my first quest to be done completely script-free, to get as much as I can out of ZC's already-present capabilities.

Also, I realize that I could make this Dodongo boss by losing the custom enemy and using a series of bomb triggers and insta-warps instead, with the number of triggers and warps depending on the number of bombs I want to require, but 1) that's a lot of work just to create the illusion of a simple boss that requires x amount of bombs to defeat, and 2) I have another defeatable enemy in the room that would make transitioning between these screens a bit more complicated than I'd like.

Sorry it's so long, I just wanted to be as clear as possible. If anyone knows of a way to have a stationary enemy that can periodically change the direction it faces (or has another idea to create the effect I'm aiming for with the Dodongo), that would be great.  :awesome:

#2 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

What I would do is have the Dodongo's mouth have a Bomb Trigger when its mouth opens. You can set a combo flag on the open mouth combo itself. Then you have the mouth cycle its opening and closing effects. It can still be a damage combo too.

However. What I would personally do is place the bomb trigger just behind the Dodongo's mouth. Have it be a damage solid combo. But when it cycles to open, make it walkable so the player can place a bomb "in its mouth".

I believe this will work. It's probably gonna be janky no matter what, without a script.

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Welcome to Pure! Anyway, yeah, this will be hard to do without any scripts. As far as I know, enemies have to physically move to a different position to be able to change the way they are facing. You could experiement with turning up the homing factor, or maybe giving it rope movement and keeping it confined, but again, I don't know if this will work.

2) I have another defeatable enemy in the room that would make transitioning between these screens a bit more complicated than I'd like.

Enemies can be set to carry over if the warp is a timed warp.

Shoshon's method should work, but like he said, it won't look as smooth as you might like.

#4 Dairyking

Dairyking

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:23 AM

Hmm. If I use bomb triggers for the big Dodongo, would I still be able to make a permanent secret in the room that would require defeating both the big Dodongo and the other enemy to activate? The Dmap is set to NES Dungeon because I'm keeping the tileset and dungeon style roughly the same as Zelda 1. I'm currently using Enemies->Secret and Dungeon Boss [Don't Return] in the room, and activating the secret covers the floor in direct warps to send the player to an identical room with the Heart Container (I'm not using Enemies->Item because I want the room to have its own music that goes back to normal when you defeat the boss). Would I still be able to require both of them to be defeated and produce the same permanent secret effect?

If not, I guess I could lose the other enemy or just do something else entirely. I'm just trying to figure out what all's possible without scripting.

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:47 AM

Well, take this knowledge and do what you will with it.

You can make the bomb triggers self only. That way when you bomb it it only affects that combo.

That said, the secrets will activate once the other enemy is killed in that case, cause the Dodongo won't count as an enemy.

Personal tip btw. If you aren't gonna use scripts, but want custom bosses. Be creative with it.

I made a boss once that was a summoner. So I set it up where there were enemies on screen and him dancing at the top. You had to get through the summons and hit him with a burn trigger. Then it warped you to a screen to fight him.

#6 Dairyking

Dairyking

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for the help, guys. I guess I'll tinker with things some more and see if I figure something out.

Kind of disappointing that a stationary enemy can't rotate, though. That could be pretty useful in general. Oh, well. :shrug:

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:16 AM

You may be able to fake this, by placing a spawn flag for an npc, surround that space with No Enemies flags, and ramping its homing to 255.

I have never tried to do this, and I would simply script npc->Dir if I always wanted it to face Link.

Eyeball statues with bomb triggers might be viable, too: You could edit their tiles to look like open maws.

Note that none of these would 'eat' a bomb, and Dodongo enemies would be difficult to use in this application.

#8 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

An enemy with the type "projectile shooter" works.

• Dairyking likes this

#9 Dairyking

Dairyking

• Members

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

For now, I've decided to abandon the big Dodongo as a boss in this quest. Instead, I'm just keeping it simple and using a regular Dodongo and a stronger version of it for this boss fight.

An enemy with the type "projectile shooter" works.

I tested it, and instead of facing one direction all the time, the stationary enemy always faces Link. This wasn't really what I was hoping for, but thanks for sharing! It's good to know that a stationary rotating enemy is at least possible, even if it doesn't really change direction on its own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users