Photo

Favorite Science?

science

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Your favorite Science

Which?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

Do you prefer to study the night sky or see what makes computers work? Rather mix chemicals together and see the results, or study about different kinds of rocks and learn what they're made of?

Whats your favorite science?

Edited by Kivitoe, 09 August 2017 - 08:33 AM.

• Matthew and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#2 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

It's not necessarily that I love physics over all other sciences, but I seem to be a natural at it by comparison. According to the teachers I've had and work I've done, at least. Physics classwork was always easy compared to other kinds, and even when it seemed overly complicated at first, it made perfect sense with some basic explanation or clarifications. I guess there's a certain practicality to it that other sciences don't immediately have. Except maybe computer science, but I'm not "officially" educated in it to make a proper comparison.

• Kivitoe likes this

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

Psychoanalysis. Sigmund Freud is my favorite intellectual - certainly my favorite psychologist. Other than that I really like the logician Ludwig Wittgenstein (especially his early work).

Edited by Sheik, 09 August 2017 - 08:52 AM.

• Kivitoe likes this

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

I suppose that counts. Our Intro to Psych professor always called it "the science of science." Though from what I understand, if you want to lean more toward the science side (B.S. degree or such) rather than the social side (B.A.), you'd be better off taking chemistry classes than counseling-related classes.

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Well since you're putting astronomy into this list, clearly I HAVE to pick it :P

I have quite a love for this subject (if most people couldn't tell from that Astronomy topic I made a while back) and clearly it is the one subject I'm most fascinated in. I'm not entirely sure why, but I've always been so fascinated about what's out there in the universe.

So yeah, astronomy is my obvious pick lol

• Rambly, Shane, Dark Ice Dragon and 1 other like this

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'm a biochem major who's currently starting med school, so the answer should be obvious. I love all biology really, but especially molecular biology (how proteins interact, their 3D structure and function/regulation), gene regulation and DNA structure, and evolution (both on a broader scale like phylogeny and on the molecular level). Most of the stuff's on a scale where chemistry is relevant and necessary, but it's hardly pure chem, hence why I went with biochem.

After biology, I'd probably go with astronomy, which has always held my interest since I was super young. Geology (especially as related to both volcanoes and studies of the far past, geologic time and all) is also super interesting. I've been debating starting a thread on some of these topics, but I didn't think there'd be enough interest.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

I suppose that counts. Our Intro to Psych professor always called it "the science of science." Though from what I understand, if you want to lean more toward the science side (B.S. degree or such) rather than the social side (B.A.), you'd be better off taking chemistry classes than counseling-related classes.

Actually, I have a MSc degree in psychology. Currently enrolled for a BA in philosophy, too. ...German universities - most of them - are marginalizing the importance of psychoanalysis though, sadly.

Edited by Sheik, 09 August 2017 - 11:41 AM.

• Lüt likes this

#8 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

Ah right, you're from there. I know you said before, but I completely forgot.

Yeah, the field isn't exactly growing in the US either. At least, last I heard when I was in class. Actual extended problem solving is mostly being put aside for quick-fix meds, thus pharmacy is growing at the expense of practical mental and physical care disciplines.

#9 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

I took AP Biology last semester, it was a lot of fun and really interesting. Although- it was pretty challenging. It convinced me to major in biology in college.

• Rambly likes this

#10 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:55 PM

geology based on whats around my computer room

though not stratigraphy, i'm kind of awful at stratigraphy, can't even name the geologic eras in order if you asked me to.

#11 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Linguistics. I like understanding what people say and why they say it.

• Rambly, Sheik and coolgamer012345 like this

#12 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

Most natural sciences tends to tickle my interest bone, such as biology, chemistry, physics, geology, and astronomy (which is often considered a subset of physics, I think).  What doesn't really interest me are many of the social sciences, such as psychology, sociology, humanities, and nearly anything in college that ends in the word "studies".  However, some social sciences that do interest me are history, anthropology, archaeology, pedagogy, and maybe to a limited extent: political science.  Many areas are considered sciences, but I think a lot of it (but probably not all of it) can be separated into either natural sciences or social sciences.

• Evan20000 likes this

#13 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

Well,since starting in September I'm off to study Physics, clearly my favourite is Geograph, right?
No, it's physics. Astronomy used to interest me lot, but from what I see it's one of those sciences which requires a lot of learning, observation, and not a lot of calculations. With a decent mathematical ability, and a hatred for memorisation, I have trouble with plain astronomy, and also biology. That's not to say I have no interest in those areas, but I could never formally study them.
That being said, Astrophysics is one of my favouritem parts of physics, so...

And, I am pretty sure astronomy is counted as a subset of physics, but I would not say a lack of knowledge here says anything about physics knowledge, just like capital cities is not really anything to do with learning geography. Seriously (getting into an unrelated rant here), it does annoy me when people ask, "what's the capital city of whatever country", and then try to use the fact that you studied geography of a couple years as an excuse for why you should know that. Just had to get that out there.

Anyway, it's physics.

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:25 AM

Anatomy. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Rambly, Nathaniel, Russ and 1 other like this

#15 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

I like computer science because if I were admin here I could use it to code a "dislike" button so I could dislike TS's post

Spoiler

• Nathaniel, The Satellite, Russ and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users