Virtual Console 3DS

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

For those who have been living under a rock or just plain simply haven't been following Pokémon news (both of which are totally fine and respectable), Pokémon Gold and Silver will be released on the 3DS eShop this month, on September 22.

CQeT840.png

Now, it feels a bit weird to make a topic for an old Pokémon game, but topics about this series always yield some nice conversations whilst the community plays through each game, sharing teams, etc. Who all is planning to invest the money to purchase some hot nostalgia? And, in the meantime until release, what are your feelings on these games overall?

There's not already a topic for this, right? I swear, I looked.

• Matthew likes this

#2 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

*Welp i'll buy the version silver.
*By the way Pokemons games is always somes Skele-tons funs adventures that i do like it.
*I do always know a shortcuts to buy a eshop cards to buy thoses games.
  • Matthew likes this

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the reminder! I never got to try this generation and I'm looking forward to it. I wish I had an XL for GB/GBC games though, pixel perfect resolution is tiny and the enarlged version looks blurry.

#4 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:12 AM

Can't help but wonder, why no Crystal as well?

#5 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

I think they don't want people to look at Crystal's added features and buy JUST that game.

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Can't help but wonder, why no Crystal as well?

What Cukeman said. When RBY were released on VC, I know a lot of people that only bought Yellow. There were several reasons for this; it was in color, they got all three starters without having to do any work, and sprite designs were more like the anime than the original games. I did some research and wasn't able to find any concrete numbers on the sales for each individual game, but my guess would be that most of the nostalgia junkies just went straight for the one with Pikachu on the front. :blah:

I think Crystal, with all of its added features, improvements, battle animations, etc., would attract the most sales with almost embarrassing ease. I'll be honest myself and say that I'd pick Crystal in a heartbeat over Gold and Silver. A lot of the changes it made to the original games would become standard for the rest of the series.

I have a feeling that Nintendo may release Crystal later down the line, after a significant number of people have already purchased Gold and Silver. It's annoying, but I have to admit that it's a pretty good strategy to maximize their sales.

• Koh likes this

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

Crystal was better in every way, just like Yellow was better in every way, Emerald was better in every way, and Platinum was better in every way.   They stopped making 3rd games in the set starting with GEn 5, because they knew people would just wait for that one game XD.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

To me Yellow is different, not better than R/B, which is why I bought Red and Yellow on 3DS. Until Yellow on 3DS I'd never played a third game entry because it never felt warranted to me.

Edited by Cukeman, 09 September 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

Short answer, no, I'm not buying these for a 3rd time. I got Gold and Crystal when they came out, and also got the DS remake of Gold so I'm good. Those games are just way too slow paced for me now.

Plus yeah, I see what Nintendo is doing.. Waiting to see if people buy these a bunch before releasing the superior version. :P

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:54 PM

Waiting to see if people buy these a bunch before releasing the superior version. :P

Why release the best version of the game sets when you can release the inferior versions first, and make as much money as possible?

#11 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Man, Pokemon Silver. Hard to believe it was almost 17 years ago when I got it for my 11th birthday, Yellow and a brand new Gameboy Color to play them on. I won't be getting the VC version (don't own a Wii U / Switch), but I still have my ways. I think Silver is the first time my childish idea of using only my Starter was challenged and defeated; Whitney's Miltank gives me nightmares to this day. My only real complaint with GS is they're too easy overall. The Elite Four only tops off at a measly level 50 (the E4 STARTED at level 54 in RBY and peaked at 65), and even though he's probably grossly overleveled compared to you, Red is also easy if you have even a half competent level 55 team.

Also, props for Silver introducing my favorite Electric type. Too bad I don't have experience with anything past Silver version, and that now giving Ampharos all three elemental punches isn't a smart idea anymore (running off a mediocre 75 Attack base instead of 115 Sp Atk base). I may end up playing through Silver again just to have a trip down memory lane. If I do, I'm going for Chikorita for my starter, since it's the worst one by far. Still, one thing I never got; I did Mystery Gift as a kid with someone else and he got my team up to 100. Yet when I fought the Trainer in Viridian City, his Tyranitar barely put a dent in my Meganium. Both were level 100, yet his Rock Slide did like 20% of Meganium's HP. Not to mention, it seems Trainer's Pokemon are sorely underpowered compared to the player's. I.E using the same Pokemon as they are, but in spite of a 7 level disadvantage, mine still went first.

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

I think Silver is the first time my childish idea of using only my Starter was challenged and defeated; 

Heh, I defeated the Elite Four and Champion in Red using only Charizard

Edited by Cukeman, 11 September 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#13 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

Heh, I defeated the Elite Four and Champion in Red using only Charizard

Thing is also, my 11 year old self had no concept of trying to get good type coverage. But yeah, Whitney's Miltank had her way with me until I decided to use Mud Slap. Also, using just the Starter the whole game makes it trivial; you end up level 70-80 and by then, type match ups don't really matter as much. Does it matter you're weak to something when you can 1-hit your opponent? For a similar reason, most solo runs end up easy at the end because you're so overleveled you can easily survive a super effective hit (unless you're using something really, really frail like Pikachu).

Off-topic question: Is raising just the Starter "a child's strategy"? Because that's what I did when I played Blue; only trained Blastoise and everyone else was just there for HMs. Yet now I go for a full team.

#14 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:03 AM

I've been playing Crystal on RetroArch on my 3DS for a while now. I've got to know, does the VC version of these games fix the internal clock issues? When you play the game on emulator, because of how the clock was coded, the emulator is unable to get the real-time clock function working correctly, so it's absolutely random what time it's going to be in-game. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it does make it much more difficult to go after particular Pokemon or events that only occur at certain times of the day.

Honestly, if they fix the clock issue, I would be really tempted to switch to a VC version, except that I'm already in Kanto and I need the SAV file afterwards to import my collection into Emerald once I'm done. I've already done that when finishing Pokemon Red, and I'm planning on transferring across all of the different generations. (Possibly Colosseum and XD as well, but not sure. Wasn't a major fan of Colosseum when I played it last, but I might need to for completion's sake)

#15 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

I've been playing Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Prism on my 3DS for so long, I forgot Nintendo hadn't released it officially yet...  Gotta love softmodded 3ds's.  I have it installed as a VC injection, rather than a retroarch title.  Doing it this way keeps the system clock function.  There's also a patch that allows for trading between 3ds's, as well as a homebrew Pokebank that works for Gen1/2.

Edited by thepsynergist, 12 September 2017 - 01:13 AM.

• Anthus likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virtual Console, 3DS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users