# Script Everything

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

So, I don't normally create another update for one of my quest projects unless I've reached a major stage in its development.
However, thanks to a screenshot by LunarRedMage and some tiles he shared: I've been inspired to go on a wild scripting adventure that has basically reworked this entire quest from top to bottom.

Previously (as seen in some of the screenshots that I've posted), this was going to be a rather standard Zelda Classic quest with a rather large number of scripted items and effects.

Now, it has graduated into the realm of the insanely scripted and shifted to an entirely different storyline.

Instead of playing as Link, you wiil be either controlling Nayru or Din.
Currently, I don't have a scripted subscreen ready for this, but I'll add one shortly.
You will be able to switch what item you have equipped with L or R.
You can also switch to one of 4 weapons with Ex3 or Ex4.
Once you get the Magical Mirror you can switch characters by pressing Ex2.

I've uploaded a playable demo which should be available shortly.

Here as some screenshots.

K8LXGaG.png6ou1i3q.png

I'd appreciate any thoughts that people have on this, as well as bug reports once the demo is uploaded.

Edited by ywkls, 10 May 2018 - 09:39 PM.

• CimFighter likes this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

The demo is now up and can be found here.

Some notes on things I've already changed for the final version-

1. There will be no weapon switching buttons. I mostly made those for the convenience of this demo so that I didn't have to put a lot of time into scripting the actual subscreen.

2. There will be an actual active subscreen. I'm already hard at work scripting it and I may post a second demo once it is finished.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

An updated demo is now available, with the scripted subscreen to allow selecting items and weapons at will.

Also, a scripted map appears inside of dungeons.

As before, please report any bugs or suggest improvements as you see fit.

#4 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:29 PM

Question: Do Din and Nayru have differences in playing as one over the other? Perhaps Nayru could manipulate time (slow, or stop enemies) and Din could change seasons? Just a thought, but the screens look nice so far. :)
  • ywkls likes this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

Question: Do Din and Nayru have differences in playing as one over the other? Perhaps Nayru could manipulate time (slow, or stop enemies) and Din could change seasons? Just a thought, but the screens look nice so far. :)

The main difference is what the primary weapons do and the abilities each has.

Nayru has the Bow of Ages and Din the Rod of Seasons; which each have 4 powers.

Nayru

1. Shoots arrows, cuts grass

2. Arrows catch objects on fire.

3. Arrows home in on enemies.

4. Arrows pierce enemies.

Din

1. Shoots magic, cuts grass.

2. Creates a ring of fire around you as long as you have MP.

3. Pushes you in the opposite direction from the one that you're facing, for crossing large gaps.

4. Freezes water, enemies.

Additionally, their regular items are as follows.

Nayru

1. Ember Fruit- lights torches. Works on different targets than later Fire Arrows.

2. Gale Fruit- Creates a whirlwind that teleports you to a new location.

3. Switchhook- Trade places with distant objects.

4. Master Boomerang- A boomerang whose movement you control with the directional keys.

5. Healing Power- heals you for 10 MP.

6. Mace- circles you and damages foes.

7. Hammer- pounds posts into the ground.

8. Wand- creates a magic projectile for setting off certain switches.

Din

1. Bombs- blow stuff up!

2. Seed Shooter- hit distant targets.

3. Lightning Rod- electrify switches and machinery.

4. Healing Power- heals you for 10 MP.

5. Roc's Feather- jump small gaps. Most useful for avoiding spikes.

6. Bombos- large explosions cover the screen.

7. Ether- a ring of freezing projectiles.

8. Quake- send out damaging tremors.

Additionally, each character will have various passive items, the Magical Mirror for changing which character you play as and probably an Ocarina-substitute. (Haven't worked that out yet.)

To see these in action, play the current demo.

• Anthus and Mitsukara like this

#6 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Hi

I just love the scripted subscreen and ether ,bombos and quake medallions wow nice work..

• ywkls likes this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

You need secret, un-lock-able characters for Tingle, Beedle, and Groose. :)

#8 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

You need secret, un-lock-able characters for Tingle, Beedle, and Groose. :)

To do that, I'd need graphics for Beedle and Groose....

In all seriousness, I was at a wall for months on this both as regards the story and the way things were going to play out in the game. I was seriously inspired and got a lot of work done in a very short period of time. I still have a lot to do, but nothing I feel is beyond my capabilities.

#9 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:34 AM

When I said that I was going to script everything, I apparently meant it.

We now have scripted rafting, pushing, drowning, swimming and diving.

Not to mention a failsafe in case you jump offscreen and drown to keep you from being forced to start over.

Did I also mention the scripted mini-games?

These include things like Bombchu Bowling, Digging for Buried Treasure, Riding Epona, ZC Invaders and more to come!

Once they're all done, I'll be releasing a special demo with just them and their various scripts.

Bunches of new enemy scripts have been added, from unique mini-bosses and bosses; to ordinary enemies.

Other things like the red/blue block switches, mine carts (courtesy of Moosh), and puzzle mechanics unique to this quest have been included.

New abilities have been included, based upon the three Goddess Stones from Ocarina of Time. (Din's Fire, Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind). These operate upon a third level of the scripted subscreen and can be toggled on or off at any time once they're obtain by pressing Ex4.

What's more, we're only halfway done! The latest dungeons include things like the dungeon floor spinner, air vents that push you around (based on the flowing water script by Moscow Modder), large traps and the ability to switch between two separate states of a dungeon in an instant.

I'm hoping to reach a state where at least 75 percent of the quest is playable by this fall, but the pace could pick up if I get enough unique and new ideas.

Right now, I suggest that you try out the latest demo; which includes 8 finished dungeons and a great deal of hidden goodies stashed in various corners of the game. (There's even a cameo of a certain pink hedgehog.) Until next time!

• judasrising and Jared like this

#10 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

When I said that I was going to script everything, I apparently meant it.

We now have scripted rafting, pushing, drowning, swimming and diving.

Not to mention a failsafe in case you jump offscreen and drown to keep you from being forced to start over.

Did I also mention the scripted mini-games?

These include things like Bombchu Bowling, Digging for Buried Treasure, Riding Epona, ZC Invaders and more to come!

Once they're all done, I'll be releasing a special demo with just them and their various scripts.

Bunches of new enemy scripts have been added, from unique mini-bosses and bosses; to ordinary enemies.

Other things like the red/blue block switches, mine carts (courtesy of Moosh), and puzzle mechanics unique to this quest have been included.

New abilities have been included, based upon the three Goddess Stones from Ocarina of Time. (Din's Fire, Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind). These operate upon a third level of the scripted subscreen and can be toggled on or off at any time once they're obtain by pressing Ex4.

What's more, we're only halfway done! The latest dungeons include things like the dungeon floor spinner, air vents that push you around (based on the flowing water script by Moscow Modder), large traps and the ability to switch between two separate states of a dungeon in an instant.

I'm hoping to reach a state where at least 75 percent of the quest is playable by this fall, but the pace could pick up if I get enough unique and new ideas.

Right now, I suggest that you try out the latest demo; which includes 8 finished dungeons and a great deal of hidden goodies stashed in various corners of the game. (There's even a cameo of a certain pink hedgehog.) Until next time!

Hm wow bombchu bowling sounds fun....

• ywkls likes this

#11 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

(Mumble, mumble)

Released a minigame demo...

ZC Community: What? Why should we care?

(Mumble, mumble)

The quest feed says 20 people are following this project; more than any of my other quests.

ZC Community: You've been a bit silent about this quest for a while? Why no monthly updates?

(Mumble, mumble)

Because I've never done that? Plus, I've been stuck on designing the next area for a bit.
It also doesn't help that it seems to have been ignored by the Expo.

In short, I'm still slowly developing this, but the lack of feedback except from those within my testing team hasn't helped.

Anyways, i've been planning to release this for a bit.

Thanks to Epsalon ZX, Spacepoet and P-Tux7 for feedback on the new demo.

(Now to slink back off and try and design a few more screens...)

• Epsalon ZX likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users